Waterless cleaners

Coachman

So, took the plunge and bought from Pitch tv (Tiff Needel advert).It was cold so done it in my garage on the car which was only slightly dirty. End result I have scratch lines in places, I did turn cloth frequently as advised.Our Skoda in blue does mark very easy though. Alloy wheels did look great . Will try it on camper as paint is much thicker, but not whilst this cold snap is coming.

AutoExpress published a comparative review fairly recently of 'waterless' vehicle cleaners. The results are shown on the following link, though "Body Shield Pro" products (that I presume is what you used) don't seem to have been tested.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36253/waterless-car-wash

Using this type of product invites ending up with scratched paintwork. All it takes is a tiny piece of grit that doesn't fully embed in the cleaning cloth and that will be that. Having scratched your Skoda, you'd be a brave man to risk the same thing happening to your Mobilvetta motorhome (and I certainly wouldn't bet that its paintwork is any thicker or more scratch-resistant than your car's).

If I can't give my vehicles a good wash down with plenty of water at the start of the cleaning procedure, they can just stay dirty.

We got some waterless cleaner from Astra Automotive - I won £150 worth of stuff by getting a 'top tip' published in the MMM mag so hubby decided to get some to see what it was like. He's used it on our Renault Modus commenting that it worked brilliantly, was easy to use, and didn't complain about any scratches ... indeed I haven't noticed any at all. :-D

http://www.astraautomotive.co.uk/cp15-ecogleam-waterless-wash-wax-500ml-spray-bottle.html

• 4 weeks later...
I can't see how a waterless product would not end up scratching, OK I'm biased. Just remember that unless you have a van conversion the paintwork on your motorhome is easier to damage than a cars paintwork. Also once damaged it is much more dificult / expensive to put right. If you must try stuff on your van paintwork try it on a small area that will not notice if damaged.

A few years ago we were at the Black Knowl CC site, a couple had an old but imaculate motorhome with a box trailer. We asked them how they kept it so clean, I use my own waterless products and was going to a show, then proceded too give use all a demo on the door of my motorhome cab. My motorhome cab door was quite clean, but after the demo it sparkeled as was extremely smooth. We all ended up buying products from the back of their trailer, when we tried it at home, we could not acheive the same results.

We had all been conned by a showman, it is still at home in the garage.

Archived