Fiat X2/50 vehicle battery replacement?

Keith T

My Motorhome is now over 5 yrs old, and I am aware the vehicle battery needs replacing as it does not hold full charge very long.

I Should be glad of experience of replacements - I guess to go to a FIAT dealer, or the MH Dealer would be the most expensive option, and wonder whether the likes of Halfords or similar will be able to supply (and fit) a suitable battery for this vehicle?

Any recommendations as to the make/type of battery or other alternative supppliers would be helpful. I cannot find any refererence to a specific battery in the FIAT handbook, and as yet have not been able to ,ook under the bonnet....!

Keith T - 2012-12-11 5:05 PM

My Motorhome is now over 5 yrs old, and I am aware the vehicle battery needs replacing as it does not hold full charge very long.

I Should be glad of experience of replacements - I guess to go to a FIAT dealer, or the MH Dealer would be the most expensive option, and wonder whether the likes of Halfords or similar will be able to supply (and fit) a suitable battery for this vehicle?

Any recommendations as to the make/type of battery or other alternative supppliers would be helpful. I cannot find any refererence to a specific battery in the FIAT handbook, and as yet have not been able to ,ook under the bonnet....!

If you look under the bonnet, you won't see the battery as it in the passenger side footwell under a cover under the floor mat. :D

Guest Peter James

I would only go to Halfords as a last resort - the best places are where the local trade buyers go - Motor Factors on Industrial Estates - they don't spend money on adverts you just drive around the industrial estate and see them.

There are several batteries that will fit the X2/50 - the smaller engined models have about 95AH but the 3 litre engine models come with a bigger battery that can be beneficially fitted to the smaller engined models as well.

Keith T - 2012-12-11 5:05 PM

my battery was playing up so ordered one from my local fiat dealer however after two dud ones which apparently came direct from italy they then recommended a unipart one which was cheaper and has been fine ever since

peter - 2012-12-11 5:52 PM

tQUOTE]If you look under the bonnet, you won't see the battery as it in the passenger side footwell under a cover under the floor mat. :D

Pete - or others....

Is that the large cover taking up most of the space in the passenger footwell. Just had a look from inside the motorhome (not easy in the dark)?

Been to Halfords today to price battery, offer either their own with 3 or 4 yr warranty, or Bosch with 5 yrs which was only about £20 more....seems no contest. Dealer offered Fiat or cheaper' alternative both with 12 months, but want £30 inc vat to fit...Halfords is £6.99 so think I know where to go and what to get!

Any comments on Bosch battery??

Keith T - 2012-12-12 5:23 PM

Any comments on Bosch battery??

Whenever I've had one in the past on a car it has always lasted well.

Whether their after market batteries are as good I wouldn't know but I have reason to doubt them?

Varta I can recommend from personal experience - never had a duff 'un.

As I too have no desire to push start 3.5 plus tonnes of van I agree that a good battery is essential.

Yes, the van battery is under the large cover in the centre of the footwell. It's big heavy battery so mind your back when bending over to remove it.

It's not, however, really in the warm and dry - it sits in a thin plastic box that hangs below the steel floor and is out in the cold air. There is also a big hole in the box for a vent tube and for any hydrogen to disipate.

Ian L.

If you are able to fit the battery yourself try having a look here :-

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Enter your Registration or vehicle details and then match the details on the original.

If you find one that`s right enter the " PROMO CODE.........BATTERY15 " and you`ll get 15% off.

You might be pleasantly surprised with the price.

I`ve just put a Upgraded " Exide Premium " with 4 year warranty for under £88 on my van.

Hope this helps.

Archived