overland to greece

mgain

thinking of going to greece next year,years ago when i was a lorry driver we used to go via austria,then zagreb,then belgrade,then nis,and down to skpje,and into greece that way, does any body know if it is safe to go this way after the troubles out there, and has anybody been down this road in the last year or so,i would like to drive the route rather than get a ferry.

We are going via Romania/Bulgaria in Aug/Sept 2013, so it's Belgium, Germany, Austria,Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria then the top end of Greece. Might do a bit of Turkey on the way back, but then we might just get "waylaid" on the way down and stay somewhere for so long we don't make it. Romania looks interesting, we will do as we always do, just take each day as it comes. About 2,000 miles.

H

Hi, we went to Greece in Jan this year taking ferry from Ancona to Patras stayin in Greece till late March. We then went down into Turkey before travelling back overland via Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Holland, France. We used this site http://www.magbaztravels.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ which has loads of info. If you need any more info PM and i will respond.

John

I can certainly recommend the Romania / Bulgaria route - we did it in 2011.

We spent 10 weeks in Greece and only stayed on campsites for 2 nights (Athens and Washing!)

Our blog of our travels is here: www.europebycamper.com

All the best :)

Archived