Homeless ? Temporary accommodation

enodreven

...So..you'd consider that by being temporarily placed in some scrotty hostel,bedsit or B&B by the "council" ,that should then mean that you and your family should then be classed as having "a home"..?

Really? :-S

..infact why stop there?..So what's wrong with cardboard boxes?..or a nice railway arch?...

...and "..are there no workhouses..?.."

*-)

Guest pelmetman
Correct me if I'm wrong :-S................but I think you only qualify for B&B if you have sprogs...........otherwise its the park bench *-)

Hi,

You could also be offered a "scrotty" as you call it, or be already living in a "scrotty" council owned or other social landlord owned bedsits/studio/1 bed/2 bed accommodation that you only have a limited time use (6 month tenancy agreements are common place now) would you still be classed as homeless.

And if one of the above applies what do you categorise those people who haven't got any of the above including temporary accommodation

pepe63 - 2012-12-13 10:37 AM

...So..you'd consider that by being temporarily placed in some scrotty hostel,bedsit or bedsit by the "council" ,that should then mean that you and your family should then be classed as having "a home"..?

Really? :-S

..infact why stop there?..So what's wrong with cardboard boxes?..or a nice railway arch?...and "..are there no workhouses..?.."

*-)

I think you qualify for BB etc if you can be shown to be at risk ? which obviously as you say covers children, but I think the "at risk" statement covers a lot more than just those with children.

pelmetman - 2012-12-13 10:40 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong :-S................but I think you only qualify for B&B if you have sprogs...........otherwise its the park bench *-)

No idea Dave,you maybe be right.

Fortunately I haven't been in those circumstances..

...although like a good many others,I came pretty close when my married broke down..and it would've only taken a couple of other factors(a job loss etc)to have totally messed me up... :-S

Whatever the social / legal definition, do you think that there is a qualitative difference between “being housed” and “having a home”?

The concept of “home”, not just a house, or shelter, is a powerful one I think. How about all those quotations and sayings:

“There’s no place like home.”

“Home is where the heart is.”

“Home sweet Home.”

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” [Robert Frost]

Robert Browning and his “Home Thoughts from Abroad”

And what about the prisoners of war escaping to do the “home run”.

[but I don’t like "modern" connotations – Homebase; home page – quite different.]

Do you think that these are evocative phrases, and very much removed from the idea of simply having a roof over your head?

The idea of being housed in “temporary accommodation” sounds so bleak, and is the antithesis of being at “home”. Homelessness is an awful prospect.

When we retired, we moved away from our “home” in the West Country, and came “home” to Wales. But it still took ages before our new house felt like “home” to me. I vividly remember coming out of Ikea in Cardiff, and, as all the stores are much the same, getting in the car with the feeling that I was in Bristol and would be driving back to my “home” in Somerset. It was such a jolt when I realised where I was that I burst into tears…..

I no longer feel like that and it is a measure of how “at home” I am, that on our last 2 month European trip I felt “homesick” haven’t felt like that since I was at Girl Guide Camp, aged 12. Don’t know why, and cannot account for it – but it did give me comfort to set the Sat Nav to “Go Home”, and see how soon I could be there!!!

[i got over it!]

Cannot imagine anyone feeling like that about “temporary accommodation”.

I am not a pauper but then again I am not a millionaire, just comfortable, but the thought has entered my head several times what would I do if I fell on hard times? if I had no friends or help from the council etc where would I lay my head at night?

Would I try to sleep on a city or town park bench or wherever? subjected to yobbish behaviour and possibly urinated on by local yobs, what would you do in those circumstances? various idea's have ran through my head as to what I would do.

knight of the road - 2012-12-14 2:24 AM

I am not a pauper but then again I am not a millionaire, just comfortable, but the thought has entered my head several times what would I do if I fell on hard times? if I had no friends or help from the council etc where would I lay my head at night?

Would I try to sleep on a city or town park bench or wherever? subjected to yobbish behaviour and possibly urinated on by local yobs, what would you do in those circumstances? various idea's have ran through my head as to what I would do.

I would look for an empty house , break in causing minimal damage and let the courts remove me many months later , simple rent free living .

I would have my disability , child benefit and dole placed straight into my account and do my online Tesco shopping on my iphone and delivered direct to my new address and with that I do not have leave the house and face eviction , easy .

I could also possibly let out spare bedrooms to others if not needed by me .

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2012-12-14 8:11 AM

From 1st September 2012 in England and Wales squatting in residential property is a Criminal Offence rather than a just a Civil Offence.

A welcome and long overdue change in the law.

Watched the Panorama prog on homelessness last night, and judging by the grotty accommodation being offered as temporary housing.........................a few months board and lodging at her majesties leisure would be preferable :D..................nice and warm, tv, 3 meals a day..........whats not to like?

I thought the investment banker living rough was a eye opener 8-)........but he did manage to find a flat share and said he was looking for a job as an investment banker :-S.................I wonder what he say's on his cv (?)

If the law has changed then I would hire some bang on " Lefties " possibly even get Shami Chakrabarti and her Civil Liberties lot to claim my human rights are been violated as the Police beat me up and drag me out of my new home which by now I have totally redesigned with my boots and crowbar .

Guest pelmetman

I got the impression he ran his own firm in the states, when the crash came he used his own money to prop up the firm, lost the lot, and his Mrs kicked him out, he got a flight back to the UK with a charity :-|.........

Time for a change of career?........ :-S

Just proves to me investment banking has more in common with gambling than looking after peoples money *-)

Guest Peter James
Much of the problem has been created by restricting building to force up house prices. The family in one bedroom hostel homeless accommodation had a dad working nights as a bus driver. If property prices were brought back into proportion to the rest of the economy he should be earning enough to provide for them.

Homelessness is something which is dear to my heart, I have never been homeless but came close to it during the Thatcher era when I was made reduntant a number of times, I had problems paying my mortgage and was in reciept of a number of red letters from my mortgage provider.

Fortunately I secured work in Germany and managed to save enough money to pay off my mortgage and have a few quid left, many years ago after the war in fact there was an area of ground behind Strangeways prison known as Barney's hills, the hills were the spoil heaps left after digging out the clay to make bricks, lots of homeless ex soldiers lived there in makeshift camps and they would sleep in the cooling off brick kilns at night, I used to go to the camps with my granny who used to take wrap ups of sandwiches and whatever she could find for these ex soldiers who were suffering from the effects of their wartime service.

Today you could be living in the lap of luxury in your own home, tomorrow you could lose your job and be facing eviction, you never know the minute do you?

knight of the road - 2012-12-16 9:11 AM

Homelessness is something which is dear to my heart, I have never been homeless but came close to it during the Thatcher era when I was made reduntant a number of times, I had problems paying my mortgage and was in reciept of a number of red letters from my mortgage provider.

Fortunately I secured work in Germany and managed to save enough money to pay off my mortgage and have a few quid left, many years ago after the war in fact there was an area of ground behind Strangeways prison known as Barney's hills, the hills were the spoil heaps left after digging out the clay to make bricks, lots of homeless ex soldiers lived there in makeshift camps and they would sleep in the cooling off brick kilns at night, I used to go to the camps with my granny who used to take wrap ups of sandwiches and whatever she could find for these ex soldiers who were suffering from the effects of their wartime service.

Today you could be living in the lap of luxury in your own home, tomorrow you could lose your job and be facing eviction, you never know the minute do you?

We never came near to loosing our house even though things were tight at times. Twice I faced the possibility of being unemployed but luckily got a new job each time with not a single day out of work in my life. However it was always a worry while we had a mortgage and the day we paid it off early at just 36 was one of the best days of our lives knowing our home was secure. I have great sympathy for those who may have lost their homes through fault of their own in these hard times.

Archived