Help needed on mpg

Rob1n

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my Vw t5 104 as its too small for my family needs.

I have a budget of 30 k and I'm looking at something like the sunlight a70 with a rear fixed double with garage below.

My question is, what base van is best? My t5 costs about £100 to fill and I get a range of about 600 miles or 38 mpg from the van computer . My budget will enable me to get either a transit 140 or a fiat 130. Does anyone know what range or mpg these do?

I have a transit panel van for work so I know of how these drive but I have no idea about the fiat.

I look forward to some helpful advice

Rob

I have had both a Fiat 130 and a Peugeot 130 and without driving like an idiot had an avarage mpg from fill to fill of 32 mpg although the computer showed a better 34 / 36 sometimes 38 the only true figure is from a full tank to a full tank.  Admittingly with a head wind and heavy rain the return has been down to 26 / 28 . Our new motorhome due in March 2013 is the new euro 5 on a Fiat 2.3 130 which will be interesting to see what return we get once it is bedded in.

Its all to do with haste, acceleration braking & body size. Less of all is best for economy. Our Autotrail Scout on a Merc 312 did 26 MPG normally and 24 with a twin motorcycle trailer behind. Our present tardis is 6 tonne and manages 18 with my driving.

But you cannot take it with you when you go!! Perhaps you want the tax man to enjoy it after you have gone??

Considered the 3 litre engine? Its nice in a Fiat or Iveco.

Enjoy it now.

Happy Christmas

C.

Rob -

just a thought, but mpg probably isn't much of an issue really, compared to all the other factors that combine to frame your final choice of motorhome.

If it's 25mpg, or 33mpg, ultimately, so what?

You'll not be doing that many miles per year.

Compared to other cost factors like fittef eatures, extras you want to add, original purchase price, depreciation rate (which is the cost which utterly DWARVES all others), maintenance costs, etc; then even a (say) 10mpg average difference between vehicles over (say) 3,000 miles per year, is hardly worth worrying about....especially when tyre pressures, loading, average speed, acceleration, braking rates and frequency all influence it anyway.

Rob

The Sunlight A70 is a large overcab-design of motorhome and, to complicate the issue, that particular model seems to have been built on two makes of chassis, Ford or Fiat.

The Ford version had RWD with a twinned-wheel rear axle and a 2.4litre motor with either a 115bhp or 140bhp power output. The standard Transit fuel tank has around 17.5 gallons capacity and I'd expect a realistic average fuel consumption for an A70 with the 140bhp Ford motor to be around 25mpg. On that basis, a 'safe' range should be around 400 miles.

I'd anticipate the Fiat-based FWD version of the A70 to be a bit more economical (say 28mpg average) and, with a standard fuel tank capacity of around 19.5 gallons, a 'safe' range should be around 500 miles.

I echo BGD's view that fuel consumption and/or range tend to be less important with motorhomes, as these vehicles are usually driven relatively short distances annually and relatively sedately.

With Sunlight A70 styles of motorhome, you'd need to be careful about how much payload remained when the vehicle was in fully loaded state, particularly if the vehicle had a 3500kg overall weight limit. Over 3500kg, there are UK driving-licence implications that I expect you are aware of.

In our low profile Fiat 130 I often return 27 - 28mpg have on occasion had 30 but cruising at 70 with a strong headwind down to 25. With an overcab body I would think 25 mpg more realistic, as Bruce says fuel economy is the least of your worries in view of the total outlay.

Our previous Autocruise Sportstar (low profile) with 2.2L 100bhp 5 gear, Euro 4 Peugeot engine, very much reflected Lennyb's mpg. So also agree with him that the A70 overcab, would be more realistic at 25mpg.

Current Adria Sport with the Fiat 2.3L 130bhp 6 gears, Euro 5 engine already showing actual 30mpg (although the speedo readout shows 33/34mpg) after 3000miles.

Archived