Camos Dish?

maggyd

Hi, has anyone fitted a Camos Dish to a P.V ? on out last van we used a Camos crank up Sat dish, we now have an Autocruise P.V we would like to fit a Camos dish which we think is the only one suitable , but the base plate fitting is a problem because the roof has 2 1/2" ribs running the length of the van !

Has anyone fitted one to a similar roof or have you any suggestions ?

thanks

maggyd - 2012-12-29 2:35 PM

Hi, has anyone fitted a Camos Dish to a P.V ? on out last van we used a Camos crank up Sat dish, we now have an Autocruise P.V we would like to fit a Camos dish which we think is the only one suitable , but the base plate fitting is a problem because the roof has 2 1/2" ribs running the length of the van !

Has anyone fitted one to a similar roof or have you any suggestions ?

thanks

Which Autocruise? I have a 65cms Teleco dish on a Swift Mondial which is identical to the Autocruise Rhythm. I have also fitted a 90 watt solar panel so there is plenty of room up there.

HI,

I also have a camos wind up dish.

It is very good while in England but when i was in southern France

you have to wind up the handle a little bit more for the elevation and i find this

becomes tight as the inner roof linning board is being compressed

and then the steel roof bows,making it difficult to lock onto the signal.

In strong winds you can still use it as with other dishes i have seen campers

having to wind there's down/

I have spoken to other pvc owners who have the same problem but all agree

that the dish is still very good for its size and price.

Hope this helps.

Pc Plod - 2012-12-29 2:59 PM

HI,

I also have a camos wind up dish.

It is very good while in England but when i was in southern France

you have to wind up the handle a little bit more for the elevation and i find this

becomes tight as the inner roof linning board is being compressed

and then the steel roof bows,making it difficult to lock onto the signal.

In strong winds you can still use it as with other dishes i have seen campers

having to wind there's down/

I have spoken to other pvc owners who have the same problem but all agree

that the dish is still very good for its size and price.

Hope this helps.

Hi I agree the wind up is good and we had no problems with it on our last van a kontiki, must admit to never had that problem going through France Switzerland and even into Bavaria ! its just this uneven roof that is giving O.H a headache (lol)

maggyd - 2012-12-29 3:01 PM

Hi Mike, yes there is plenty of room, its the ribs that are causing the problem the base plate of the camos doesnt fit flat it either fits over one but it doesnt fit over two of the slats ! is your roof ribbed? ours is the Alto 2013 model.

Don't worry about the ribs. The fitter can easily get around this problem.

Mike88 - 2012-12-29 4:00 PM

Hi Mike, yes there is plenty of room, its the ribs that are causing the problem the base plate of the camos doesnt fit flat it either fits over one but it doesnt fit over two of the slats ! is your roof ribbed? ours is the Alto 2013 model.

No Mike its the fitter asking the question :-D

maggyd - 2012-12-29 4:08 PM

Mike88 - 2012-12-29 4:00 PM

No Mike its the fitter asking the question :-D

Maggy. I think you need a new fitter. Surely the fitter could rig up a wider base plate and stick the original Camos base plate to it.

The alternative is a different dish with a wider base plate to adhere to both ridges if your fitter is unable to rig things up.

Assuming you mean to fit a Camos crank up to a panel van then yes I have done quite a few. As someone else said you need to make up a plastic infill plate to level up the indents to the level of the top of the rib sections........reading that back to myself it makes little sense but I can't think of a better way to say it, important fact is it can be done fairly simply.

D.

Thanks for all your replies :-D sorry for any confusion that is just me translating what my O.H is saying! it isnt the dome one he will fit its the oblong one that we had on our last van. He has had another look this morning and I think he has it sorted as to what he will eventually do when the weather warms up, he just has to work out the best place to put one and remove the status aerial that wont be needed.

maggyd - 2012-12-30 12:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies :-D sorry for any confusion that is just me translating what my O.H is saying! it isnt the dome one he will fit its the oblong one that we had on our last van. He has had another look this morning and I think he has it sorted as to what he will eventually do when the weather warms up, he just has to work out the best place to put one and remove the status aerial that wont be needed.

Maggy. You might need to retain the Status aerial. I have found mine useful when in the UK if for example I am parked under trees and can't get a satellite fix. I rarely use my van when in the UK but normally always find myself in a place where trees are prevalent.

Mike88 - 2012-12-30 12:14 PM

maggyd - 2012-12-30 12:11 PM

Maggy. You might need to retain the Status aerial. I have found mine useful when in the UK if for example I am parked under trees and can't get a satellite fix. I rarely use my van when in the UK but normally always find myself in a place where trees are prevalent.

Hi Mike John isnt in a hurry to remove the aerial but we have never had a problem with the camos he installed on the other van we just positioned it so we could get a signal, ie out of line of tree,s, the thing is this one in our van takes up valuable space in a cupboard which I could make better use of above the kitchen working space! they have now put a microwave in the other cupboard which is handy, but this wind handle is a flipping nuisance :-S I would rather take a chance Im not that desperate I do like to read my kindle so IM ALRIGHT Jack

(lol) thanks again for your help.

Archived