New Customer Only Deal's

enodreven

Hi,

Is it just me or do these New customer only deals really annoy you, especially if you have been with the company for a long while, and the offer is substantially less than what you are paying at the moment.

My present annoyance is with PlusNet, I have been with them for the last few years and have been thinking about upgrading to Fibre, and guess what they have a special offer on at the moment half price for the first 6 months then back to the normal price, but its only for new customers, I have contacted them and they have confirmed its not open for me as an existing customer ?

enodreven - 2013-01-01 3:17 PM

Hi,

Is it just me or do these New customer only deals really annoy you, especially if you have been with the company for a long while, and the offer is substantially less than what you are paying at the moment.

My present annoyance is with PlusNet, I have been with them for the last few years and have been thinking about upgrading to Fibre, and guess what they have a special offer on at the moment half price for the first 6 months then back to the normal price, but its only for new customers, I have contacted them and they have confirmed its not open for me as an existing customer ?

No - it's not just you - it annoys me as well.

All we can do is either A ) Put up with it or

B) Go somewhere else.

It is a business practice known as " taking your customers for granted " ( although I 've no doubt they have a posher name for it ).

:-(

My method of beating them at there own game is, research a better deal from whoever you can find and make sure it will suit you. Ring plusnet or whoever you are with and cancel your contract. Then either you will be transferred to customer retention's there and then or they will ring you back in a couple of days and they will offer you a better deal this method has never failed but if it did cancel anyway and go for another supplier. And yes it drives me mad especially having to change insurance companies every year when they know you are a good risk but wont offer you the best deal.

malc d - 2013-01-01 3:53 PM

enodreven - 2013-01-01 3:17 PM

Hi,

No - it's not just you - it annoys me as well.

All we can do is either A ) Put up with it or

B) Go somewhere else.

It is a business practice known as " taking your customers for granted " ( although I 've no doubt they have a posher name for it ).

:-(

'Stuff you'

Dave

Thought I'd better edit this. Meant the posh name malc, not you :-D

Quite a few of our insurance policies are with Saga and all at very competitive prices. They don't seem to indulge in the new customer deals malarkey preferring to keep their loyal customers. Our household buildings and insurance has just come through. I was expecting a considerable hike in the premium so imagine how pleased I was to find it had only gone up by £7.

nowtelse2do - 2013-01-01 5:04 PM

'Stuff you'

Dave

I never thought that for a moment Dave

( well,.............. maybe just for a moment ).

Happy New Year !

;-)

malc d - 2013-01-01 7:39 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-01-01 5:04 PM

'Stuff you'

Dave

I never thought that for a moment Dave

( well,.............. maybe just for a moment ).

Happy New Year !

;-)

And the same to you malc..........May your sentance be a short one. :-D

Dave

George Collings - 2013-01-01 8:26 PM

Never having ben involved in marketing I might have the wrong end of the stick but surely its cheaper to retain an existing customer with a sensible discount than advertise to find new ones.

I think they rely on existing customers who can't be bothered to change - which is probably most of them.

:-|

• 4 weeks later...
I have had policies with Saga off and on for quite a few years. They do bump up my premiums to nearly double and when I get a better price online (with Saga) tell me these better prices are introductory offers for new customers only. I go elswhere for a couple of years and get a good price when I go back to them - for the first couple of years only tho'.

We use a broker for most things - there are utility brokers out there now as well - but for car and Houshold we use a firm called Summers of Wimborne (they used to be in Three Legged Cross.

Never have any issues with rip of deals - and they are very competitive and supportive when we have had to claim - they do most of the wok for you re the claim.

My wife says Churchill as part of Direct Line appeared on the " Sheriff " programme on TV this morning as a policyholder had to go to court to get them to pay out the £41,000 they owed the policyholder.

The only time we have therefore been caught with a New Customer Only deal was with our Sky subscription. My wife, who is the subscriber, asked for a deal that was advertised and was told the usual "New customers" only bo11ox so we said OK she will cancel and I will take out the new deal in a day or so.

They gave us the deal.

Guest 1footinthegrave
This is an easy one to solve as the poster above say's , I've just done it with BT, phone to say you want to cancel, they will offer you a new customer deal as long as you re-contract for 12/18 month's depending on who you are with. If they will not, just go elsewhere, but yes it is a bit of a pain.

Sometimes its worth comparing your old policy with the new shiny cheaper one.

From experience with travel insurance, the new policy had less to offer, less to pay out and generally cover less, than the older policy which carries grandfather rights.

Although you need to be sure of what you have purchased when push comes to shove when you have to claim.

Rgds

Archived