How much are you good people paying to travel by ferry to Spain?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2013-01-02 10:39 PM

£470 Portsmouth to Santander with pet friendly cabin, one way in January.

You might be lucky Peter ;-)...................as I've done the "Bay of Biscuits" many times..................and you wont be sick for more than a day or so >:-)..........it all depends on the weather :D

Edit...................just to add we at a Zaragoza and I suspect the bill excluding "Cockups".......to be less than yours :D

£389.00 Portsmouth to Santander – 4 berth outside cabin (for 2 of us – too old/unfit for upper bunks) one way in February from the C & CC.

Having seen Pelmetman's 'helpful' contribution - I wear wristbands and take the tablets, not been seasick yet - and weather was so bad 1st time that they predicted we'd be 4 hours late arriving. OH has cast iron stomach and needs no cissy sickness treatments (his words). Have courage!

Guest pelmetman
brownsat259 - 2013-01-02 10:55 PM

£389.00 Portsmouth to Santander – 4 berth outside cabin (for 2 of us – too old/unfit for upper bunks) one way in February from the C & CC.

Having seen Pelmetman's 'helpful' contribution - I wear wristbands and take the tablets, not been seasick yet - and weather was so bad 1st time that they predicted we'd be 4 hours late arriving. OH has cast iron stomach and needs no cissy sickness treatments (his words). Have courage!

Is that one way?.................coz you'll have me beat if its a return :D..................not that I'd get er in doors on a boat again :-S...................my own fault ......a rough trip back from Osea Island in the Blackwater 8-)...............cost me a yacht *-)

Guest pelmetman
brownsat259 - 2013-01-03 12:03 AM

But hey – it’s only money. Why leave it for the kids?

Do your kids know? 8-)

As they'll have to pay my pension:D

Mike88 - 2013-01-03 8:19 AM

£685 return with club class cabin via Travel Club - out September back November. For me as cheap or cheaper as the alternative through France.

Hi Mike,

This sounds good, have to show my ignorance and ask who the 'travel club' are please. We have fancied the trip for a while and been many years ago but have not seen prices like this. Info would be appreciated.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2013-01-03 10:00 AM

Mike88 - 2013-01-03 8:19 AM

£685 return with club class cabin via Travel Club - out September back November. For me as cheap or cheaper as the alternative through France.

Hi Mike,

This sounds good, have to show my ignorance and ask who the 'travel club' are please. We have fancied the trip for a while and been many years ago but have not seen prices like this. Info would be appreciated.

cheers

derek

Brittany Ferries travel club costing £100 to join plus £100 annual membership so £200 in year 1 and £100 thereafter giving up to a 30% discount. Probably only worth it if you do more than one trip per year.

Send me a PM and I will give you a discount code which will give you upwards of 10% off.

Remember BF operate dynamic pricing so the earlier you book the cheaper the cost.

For us, the difference between King's Lynn to either Dover or Portsmouth and ferry to either Calais or Santander, and fuel for on to the Costa del Sunshine is about 650 miles each way, mainly in France.

That equate to about an extra two days driving each way and an extra fuel cost of about £250 for the round trip, which is somewhat less than an extra £700 plus or so difference in the return ferry cost.

So unless you prefer a long ferry trip across the Bay of Biscay and prefer to pay for that dubious pleasure driving the long way and saving yourself the thick end of £500 seems to make better sense - unless you are unable to drive that far, don't really enjoy long haul driving, or want to save a couple of days travel?

Long ferry trips are out of the question for us, so the most recent trip was my first use of Tesco vouchers, £136 return, used £135 of vouchers, so the cost was £1.

Much prefer the short ferry routes, neither of us like the tunnel, but at this price I think we might just be able to put up with it!

Rich, on the way down in August we took our time after crossing Dover-Calais and spent many weeks in france enjoying the journey for many weeks.

RE: the return, in December not as much fun going up through france and for us its a 4.5 hour drive back to the West Country rather than 2 hrs from Portsmouth.

All in all, we felt this was a good plan for the dates we were travelling.

No right way for everyone, but at least we have options.

bolero boy - 2013-01-03 12:19 PM

Rich, on the way down in August we took our time after crossing Dover-Calais and spent many weeks in france enjoying the journey for many weeks.

RE: the return, in December not as much fun going up through france and for us its a 4.5 hour drive back to the West Country rather than 2 hrs from Portsmouth.

All in all, we felt this was a good plan for the dates we were travelling.

No right way for everyone, but at least we have options.

Absolutely Chris - the cost and convenience will vary according to where you live and as you say for you there seems little point in going further East than you need to just so you can drive West again!

We absolutely agree that France is a country worthy of seeing in detail, but not in mid winter as far as we are concerned when most of it is as cold and wet as home and the object of a winter trip is winter warmth and sunshine!

Hi,we have 7.4 mtrs Long m/h classed as under 8mtrs,booked 18 sep 12 one way for 18 Nov sailing,

intended stay to feb17 2013,problem so we came back 10 Dec 12 ,cost each way £469.00,we did have upgrade cabin to outside,not sure how much extra,but it wasnt much .this was portsmouth/bilbao route.

Booking 4wks prior outward,then 4days prior return,same price,surprising.

We hope to go again mid Feb.for 8 wks.if theres anything left in me piggy bank!!

Dave

Iain Strachan - 2013-01-03 3:18 PM

Going to use up Tesco points depart 10th Jan. £105.00, return 21 March just before school hols! £75.00.

Hope to meet some of you on the Costas!

Cheers and a good New Year to All.

Hi - which can you use Tesco vouchers on to Spain ?

We normally use our tesco point to get to France via the tunnel, the only ferries that exept them are to Ireland. Thanks to our Auntie Lil she gave us some cash when she sold her property

we booked in Nov return Southampton/Bilbao ,outward inside 4 berth, return outside two berth £718, this was a saving of over £120 than what the Caravan Club wanted for the same trip.

Archived