How much are you good people paying to travel by ferry to Spain?

Guest pelmetman

We normally use our tesco point to get to France via the tunnel, the only ferries that exept them are to Ireland. Thanks to our Auntie Lil she gave us some cash when she sold her property

we booked in Nov return Southampton/Bilbao ,outward inside 4 berth, return outside two berth £718, this was a saving of over £120 than what the Caravan Club wanted for the same trip.

peacock312 - 2013-01-03 7:53 PM

Hi,we have 7.4 mtrs Long m/h classed as under 8mtrs,booked 18 sep 12 one way for 18 Nov sailing,

intended stay to feb17 2013,problem so we came back 10 Dec 12 ,cost each way £469.00,we did have upgrade cabin to outside,not sure how much extra,but it wasnt much .this was portsmouth/bilbao route.

Booking 4wks prior outward,then 4days prior return,same price,surprising.

We hope to go again mid Feb.for 8 wks.if theres anything left in me piggy bank!!

Dave

Dave that's £100 more (each way) than we paid for our 7m Bolero on the same trip, same date. We booked about 6 weeks prior to trip through Caravan Club. We had a std inside cabin.

Hi Chris,interesting, i think the difference here is,we come under 8mtrs,you quote 7mtrs,we had outside cabin each way,mrs.suffers claustriphobia with inside cabin,we booked thro motorhome ticket club who are usually pretty competitive,and extremally helpfull always. we no longer belong to any clubs.

WHAT THE HELL!! its only money,we only live once!!

regards Dave,

Guest pelmetman

Our figures are...........

Weymouth to Equihen Plage...........215 miles refilled 56 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Equihen Plage to Vendome............ 263 miles refilled 59.39 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Vendome to Bordeaux.....................254 miles refilled 58.25 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Bordeaux to Biarritz.........................249 miles refilled 55 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Totals...............................................981 miles...........228.64 euro's.........( £185 ish)

Mileage from Calais to the Spanish border 643 non toll roads.

Chunnel costs £276 return with a dog and a trailer ;-)................normally its only £66 one way

So my estimate for a camper one way with 2 people from Calais to the Spanish border is :D.....

£130 fuel + £66 chunnel (Ferries can be cheaper)......total £196 :D

pelmetman - 2013-01-04 8:08 PM

Our figures are...........

Weymouth to Equihen Plage...........215 miles refilled 56 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Equihen Plage to Vendome............ 263 miles refilled 59.39 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Vendome to Bordeaux.....................254 miles refilled 58.25 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Bordeaux to Biarritz.........................249 miles refilled 55 euro's @ 1.34 a litre

Totals...............................................981 miles...........228.64 euro's.........( £185 ish)

Mileage from Calais to the Spanish border 643 non toll roads.

Chunnel costs £276 return with a dog and a trailer ;-)................normally its only £66 one way

So my estimate for a camper one way with 2 people from Calais to the Spanish border is :D.....

£130 fuel + £66 chunnel (Ferries can be cheaper)......total £196 :D

.....plus any site fees for the 3 or 4 stops you had (brings it much closer to £300), balanced against one single smooth trip back to Portsmouth which is 2.5 hrs nearer home than Dover.

As you started your trip in Weymouth, i assume there is also a saving for you in not going to Dover (and back).

As we were returning in mid December, it was unlikely we would be using the return trip for warmth and sightseeing which was the case on the outbound trip in August.

Horses for courses. for us a slow trip out was great as was a speedy return. Next time it might be speedy out (in January) and a slow return in the spring.

couldnt agree more,but NOT in the winter months,ice,snow,accidents,not many sites open, in about yr 2005 we nearly got killed when big shards ice kept flying off top of long lorry trailers which had been in heavy rain, then severe frost whilst parked overnight,the overnight ferry is for us ,part of the journey,3/4 days from home to destination.

Hi William 1, No Tesco deals on ferries to Spain, we are using the tunnel, then having a slow wander down through France, visit some friends on the way, and then pick up a route kind of down the West side of France into Spain, most of it kindly provided by others on here.

Cheers.

PS Tesco points for Ireland in August. Then Ferry from Ireland to France in September (non Tesco)!

Iain Strachan - 2013-01-05 4:27 PM

Hi William 1, No Tesco deals on ferries to Spain, we are using the tunnel, then having a slow wander down through France, visit some friends on the way, and then pick up a route kind of down the West side of France into Spain, most of it kindly provided by others on here.

Cheers.

PS Tesco points for Ireland in August. Then Ferry from Ireland to France in September (non Tesco)!

Thanks - Thought we had missed something - we have used our Tesco points on the Tunnel for our summer visit to France for a number of years now -brill !

Guest pelmetman
bolero boy - 2013-01-05 9:55 AM

.....plus any site fees for the 3 or 4 stops you had (brings it much closer to £300),

Agreed........we did stop at a site at Bordeaux 24.74 euros.......and spent 3 nights at Biarritz charged for two 20 euro's.............so an additional 44.74 euro's ........40 quid ish (?)

But its quite possible to arrive at the border doing three comfortable trips of 220 miles a day and stay at free aires.........we only sort out electric as my repaired fridge stopped working on gas as soon as we hit France *-)................and I had 8 portions of mince to think of :D

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2013-01-05 11:17 AM

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

I thought that was "Specsavers" :D

I wish Tesco still did their vouchers for Spanish crossing but P and O stopped the route :'(

Must say the crossing was brilliant and the Whale watching was incredible.

Eurotunnel and Tesco vouchers for us now.

Chris

Archived