Houston we have a problem

michele

We owned a drive away when we had old Bessie used once never fitted correctly over the door and the rain run down the sides and to top it off a lot of money wasted.

Now we are looking again but knowing what to get is a night mare . I suppose we want it more for privacy than anything else . Its hard to hump Fred up into the camper after a shower so we tend to lay her down outside on a nice clean towel and try to cover her modesty .

The problem lies in where ever we go the showers don't cater for true disabilities so they tend to assume the person can walk enough to get from a wheelchair /weight bearing to the shower chair . In Freds case this is not so so we have no alternative but to wash her in her chair . Leave the shower with her still in her chair soaked hidden by a towel to protect her modesty . We would like a room to attach to the camper but are not over impressed with the rain stop canopy as it has no curtains so we couldnt hide her until dressed again

. We come to the conclusion that we would be better off with the sun/rain shade .. Any one any better ideas .The rain canopy three sided room is over £1000 and really would put an end to us stretching out along the front of the camper . We really need this room as we more often than not have two children in two wheelchairs ..Oh god I do hope this makes sense .

Guest JudgeMental

Babe..........

the German Globus awning advertised on ebay look pretty good...expensive mind but they will do a deal I think as they want to get them established. would need to see one first I think.

http://www.dwt-zelte.de/en/products/mobile-camper-tents/globus-plus/

Also have a look on Reimo German site: ,http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories/DD-awnings/

Oh maggyd, Thanks yes we have this is the problem we have if we buy this they have no curtains I know I could hang something light BUT we are now stuck in a small space with two wheelchairs and sweating .

They are over a£1000 so slightly reluctant wondered what others use .

Thanks you

Guest JudgeMental
look at used ..loads always about as most buy, use once or twice then stick in garage until they bother to get around to selling.......From circumstances you describe I think its a good enough idea

I seem to remember you have an AutoTrail in which case you have a built in wind out awning. This has an awning groove just inside the main rail. Wind the awning out just a touch and you can use any of the many available porch style awnings that are intended for caravan use. Should solve the problem at reasonable cost. I have seen this done on site to accommodate large dogs.

Good luck.

Hi Michelle

perhaps a better solution - ONESISES

If you can help Freddie to get into one after showering - no problem regarding modesty & will keep her warm if weather isn't to good. Also helps with absorbing water, but dry very quickly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=onesies&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=479673518&ref=pd_sl_47pznow85x_e

Plenty of other sources & vast range of colours/designs means you should be able to find something that would appeal to her.

Can also double up for lounging on cooler evenings.

We don't use our 6 metre awning (too big), we have had a driveaway awning (never again) and we now use a Gazebo.

They come in various sizes and colours, can be put up in minutes by one person, are quite lightweight and you can choose whether to have all sides up or just have the roof for shade.

Have you considered one of these: a Khyam Screenhouse, here http://tinyurl.com/a3234k9

They are reasonably compact folded, and quite quick to erect. Once up, it is around 10' square, like a gazebo. But, it has zip down walls on all sides, so can be fully enclosed to give complete privacy. Beneath the walls are two mesh screens and two PVC windows, all of which can also be zipped up or down to suit weather and/or wind. If sided beside your AT to give room to get in/out, you could wind out the canopy to cover the gap if rainy. So anything from full enclosure to a complete open sided gazebo via several combinations of wall/window/flyscreen in between. There used to be a smaller one, but I couldn't find it. A call might be worthwhile. As with everything, worth going to see before buying.

Michele, as Maggy said, the Kruga has roll down 'blinds' on the outside of each of the windows so you could put these down on the side windows and use the curtains on the front windows (or the roll down blinds instead), which would give you the privacy you want.

The bonus of this rather than a large freestanding awning is that you will only have to carry the extra poles/panels and not the whole awning as you would with a freestanding type and as the size you'd need is quite large it would be a very large package!

Additionally a safari type awing would mean that you could infact just use side panels if you didn't need the whole thing erecting, just to stop the sun/wind etc.

I would certainly recommend getting a second-hand awning of whatever type you go for, that way you'll get one a lot cheaper and if it doesn't suit you should be able to easily get back what you paid for it and then use the cash to get something more suitable.

michele - 2013-01-14 6:45 PM

Margaret have you changed the picture ? the other one was blue .

Michele there are different Adds and make :-D

I agree with Mel there are lots of second hand ones I wouldnt shell out big money when you can get a bargain, you do want something you can stand up in though are it will play havoc with your back having to bend while seeing to the girls.

Thank you everyone the reason we did not get a small tent for is we always seem to end upon a small pitch ! :-( I think we are going to be looking at some of what you all have suggested . I quite like the idea of just having a sun/rain protector with the one sides on it fitted into our blind as said above . Guys thanks alot for your help I knew you would come up with something :D Never let me down yet xx

Archived