If you smell a little smell...

rp272

As new converts from caravans to the joys of motorhoming we have a lot to learn in a short space of time.

In a previous thread 'Waste Tank - half full or half empty?' I learned that my water and waste tank gauges were working as designed.

We had previously only spent a single night in the van as part of the handover and were so overwhelmed with instructions that we missed a few things, including trying everything electric without a hookup.

Chris (pepe63) said:

"..again,I'm probably stating the obvious here but in view of the fact that you'll be going away in it for a couple of months soon and seeing as the van is going back in anyway,make sure you try absolutely EVERYTHING to make sure it functions properly(Fridge,water heater,blown air heating etc,all on gas,12v and on hook-up)?..."

Our recent 4 night trip with an appointment with the dealer's workshop on the way home was intended as a more serious test and try all the things Chris mentioned. We did try everything on 12volt but not for very long. The gas heating worked well which was just as well because it was trying to snow.

The main reason for going to the workshop was that despite working initially we were unable to lock the habitation door except with a key from the outside. There were also some issues with the alarm not working as expected.

Our third night found us at CC Baltic Wharf in Bristol - a site we always tried to book with the caravan but always found it full. We began to smell a slightly unpleasant smell on entering the van. It was aso noticable outside too and we assumed that someone had dropped something on the pitch.

The next day K's son came to visit and commented that it smelled 'eggy' rather like an egg mayonaise that was starting to turn! When we returned from lunch it was markedly stronger and a careful investigation identified the source as the leisure battery compartment. A quick 'Google' confirmed that a failing battery does indeed give off sulphur dioxide which has the distinctive 'rotten egg' smell. Advice seemed to be to disconnect the batteries. I did remove the 20A leisure battery fuse from the Sergeant PSU which stopped the charging but disabled the 12volt system too. I now know that I should have removed the two 'in-line' fuses in the battery compartment instead. However it was dark, very cold and trying to snow so I probably wouldn't have found them even if I had looked. Fortunately we has a small electric fan heater and an electric blanket so an early night was in order.

We drove straight to the workshop the next morning expecting to have a bit of an argument over the batteries (there are two in parallel). The door had to be almost dismantled to free and lubricate a sticky spindle which also resolved the anomolies with thje alarm. Both batteries were replaced with new ones without a murmur. We were most impressed.

We have booked passage on thye ferry to Bilbao at the end of the month and will return just before Easter.

The battery would have been very annoying and expensive to resolve abroad so we're glad it's fixed and that nothing else too serious occurs.

So if you smell a little 'eggy' smell you'll know what it might be.

JudgeMental - 2013-01-15 5:58 PM

batteries failing annoying yes but why more expensive....most motorhome related paraphernalia cheaper in Europe

I agree but if it should be under warranty it might be difficult to get reimbursed, particularly if we did not return the faulty ones and then some two months later.

Roger

rp272 - 2013-01-15 6:13 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-01-15 5:58 PM

batteries failing annoying yes but why more expensive....most motorhome related paraphernalia cheaper in Europe

I agree but if it should be under warranty it might be difficult to get reimbursed, particularly if we did not return the faulty ones and then some two months later.

Roger

As your Delaware is a 2008 model, one might have expected your leisure batteries to have lasted longer. But, of course, there's no knowing how the vehicle's previous owner(s) have treated/maintained the batteries.

I expect your dealership will have checked the condition of the 'smelly' batteries before replacing them to confirm they were duff and, hopefully, will have established that your motorhome's charging system is functioning correctly. However, it would be worth keeping an eye on the new batteries for a while and, perhaps, obtaining a multimeter so that you can check battery-charger voltages, battery charge-state, etc.

As you rightly say, if your batteries had failed abroad and you had needed to replace them, this could well have complicated obtaining reimbursement of the cost of replacement from your dealership.

I'm far from convinced that the statement "most motorhome related paraphernalia cheaper in Europe" is generally true, and certainly not in an 'emergency' situation. If you need to obtain, say, a motorhome leisure-battery or gas-regulator in the UK, it's quite likely you'll have the opportunity to shop around for the best price. If you need to do the same abroad, there's a strong likelihood you'll REALLY NEED to obtain the replacement and you may have to accept whatever the price is being asked and not necessarily the product you would have chosen back in the UK.

Mornin' Roger...

Glad to hear that you came across this "battery issue" before it bit you in the backside,whilst you were abroad...

Although it's good that they swapped the batteries without quibbling,as Derek said,I think I would've liked them to have spent some time checking out the charging system as well(..just to make sure it isn't "boiling" 'em.. :-S )

(...One would like to assume that,due to the nature of the fault,any half decent workshop would've put a meter across the batteries and check that sort of thing anyway...but as you're finding,it's best never to assume anything when it come to motorhome dealers... :-S )

pepe63 - 2013-01-16 9:06 AMMornin' Roger...Glad to hear that you came across this "battery issue" before it bit you in the backside,whilst you were abroad...Although it's good that they swapped the batteries without quibbling,as Derek said,I think I would've liked them to have spent some time checking out the charging system as well(..just to make sure it isn't "boiling" 'em.. :-S )(...One would like to assume that,due to the nature of the fault,any half decent workshop would've put a meter across the batteries and check that sort of thing anyway...but as you're finding,it's best never to assume anything when it come to motorhome dealers... :-S )

Hi Chris

The engineer I spoke to did say he checked the charging with his multimeter and all was OK. Perhaps I should do the same although I would not normally think to take one with me, but perhaps I should.

We are watching the weather carefully and feel our decision to head off to Spain has been vindicated. Less than 2 weeks to go... 

thebishbus - 2013-01-16 2:52 PMIf it had been overcharging the old batteries,it could be worth checking that the charger is set for the right type of batteries. :- wet or gel. Brian B.

Thanks Brian

I did check what had been installed and was told that they are 'sealed lead acid'. The Sergeant PSU is set to correctly charge these.

rp272 - 2013-01-16 3:59 PM

thebishbus - 2013-01-16 2:52 PMIf it had been overcharging the old batteries,it could be worth checking that the charger is set for the right type of batteries. :- wet or gel. Brian B.

Thanks Brian

I did check what had been installed and was told that they are 'sealed lead acid'. The Sergeant PSU is set to correctly charge these.

Just curiosity really, but is it easy to confirm whether a Sargent system's battery-charger is set to lead-acid or gel? After Brian's advice I looked at the documentation for the EC325 system (which I think is what you have) and the expectation seemed to be that a dealer would choose the correct setting not the leisure-vehicle owner. I think it's just a matter of moving a 'jumper' from one position to another, but there didn't appear to be any instructions on how to do this.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-16 4:23 PM
rp272 - 2013-01-16 3:59 PM

Thanks Brian

Just curiosity really, but is it easy to confirm whether a Sargent system's battery-charger is set to lead-acid or gel? After Brian's advice I looked at the documentation for the EC325 system (which I think is what you have) and the expectation seemed to be that a dealer would choose the correct setting not the leisure-vehicle owner. I think it's just a matter of moving a 'jumper' from one position to another, but there didn't appear to be any instructions on how to do this.

I though that I could toggle between acid and gel on the control panel. I haven't tried but the manual states:

"The EC325PSU is configured at the factory for standard lead acid leisure batteries, however your dealer can reconfigure the unit to work with Gel batteries if required. The dealer may make a small charge for undertaking this work."

Fortunately it is set to "acid" and that's the kind of battery they fitted

I'm pretty sure (like 99.9% sure) that it's not possible to switch the battery-charger's setting between "lead Acid" or "Gel" via the Sargent control-panel. However, having re-read the EC325 instructions more carefully I see that one of the control-panel's menu functions will provide a readout indicating the "type of battery configured within the EC325PSU". So, even though the setting may require a 'mechanical' change (eg. moving a jumper) to choose lead-acid or gel, at least it's straightforward for the leisure-vehicle owner to be able to confirm which setting has been chosen.

If you need to change your leisure battery type from acid to gel or vice versa for a EC325PSU here are the instructions. It comes with no caveat but if you need to change and don't feel like paying a dealer then it seems simple enough.

Sorry- I tried to attach the PDF but it's 175kB and the forum limit is 100kB so have attached the link instead

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/pdf-files/wikipdfs/Gel_Battery_selection_on_EC325PSU.pdf

Patricia - 2013-01-18 1:40 AMI priced leisure batteries in a French caravan accessories shop and they were about 200€.

Hi Patricia

Your observation does not surprise me. I remember visiting a French accessory shop too and was astounded by some of the prices, particularly for larger items. I also have a Movera catalogue which is shows a similar disparity with some UK prices.

Archived