Do you agree?

Dr Dave

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO WAS BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, and 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints .

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter,milk from the cow,and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because... ...

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films, or colour TV

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt , and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating .

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

And what a great time we had. Beyond the Garden gate there were a thousand adventures.

Proper fireworks 1d and 2d bangers put in a bottle drop in the pond wow!

6d of chips with scraps fried in proper fat.

Scrumping apples if you got caught you got a thick ear of the local bobby and then a good hiding off your parents when he took you home.

Cycle 10 miles to school and if you were late you got the cane, but you wouldnt let Mum and Dad know because you would get another one.

Did it do us any harm, no we learned to respect our Parents the Police and other people especially their property.

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

And you still haven't had a whole Mars Bar 'cos they have been making 'em smaller every year - For our own good 'cos it isn't good for you to have so much sugar? - Nah! - It is for the profit margin which their shareholders say must be bigger every year!

I was born in 1947 and eveything above is true what a fantastic life we had , one of our favourite dares was to " borrow " some railway fog detonators from the engine sheds and see who would be brave enough to set them off by throwing a house brick at them the bang was like a cannon going off it made your ears ring for a couple of days . We always had proper use of good manners and never forgot to say Please / Thank You and Excuse Me when visiting any friends you knocked the door and waited to be invited in and if you were wearing a cap or hat you removed it upon entering the house. Parents School Teachers and Police Officers we treated with the greatest of respect

I remember finding some of those detonators in a shed next to the railway line and one of our "gang" had an idea of what they did. So we put about 20 of them on the line and then went back to fishing in the local brook. (Pike Roach Dace and blasted Sticklebacks that would attack your bait in swarms! - great times)

About an hour later the train came through and a cacophony of bangs went off and we all looked at each other and went "Oh! SH!T!!!" as the train screached to an emergency stop, but we decided to just carry on fishing.

After a while the train moved off and we breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Never did that again tho.

Dr Dave - 2013-01-18 10:26 AM

I am that old i can remember when they used to grit the pavements in icy / snowy weather what an idea that was. And whatever happened to sweet tobacco it looked like string with a brown sugar coating on it i used to love the stuff.

.... and many people used to clear the snow from the pavement outside their houses.

Those were the days.

;-)

I am that old i can remember when they used to grit the pavements in icy / snowy weather what an idea that was. And whatever happened to sweet tobacco it looked like string with a brown sugar coating on it i used to love the stuff.

Can still buy it at. www.aquarterof.co.uk

That brings back memories, used to love it too

kelly58 - 2013-01-18 9:28 AM We always had proper use of good manners

And I for one never heard obscene language at home.

I find it very sad that what once was considered obscene language is now common place on the BBC and the other television channels. Most of the comedians on TV seem unable to get through their routine without swearing.

This just adds to the already appalling standard of behaviour that is becoming more apparent in society generally.

Cattwg :-D

pelmetman - 2013-01-18 12:58 PM

I hear the UK winter is just how it used to be in the old days :D

The difference is that in the old days, when winter came, people just got on with it.

Now, they switch the telly on to wait for instructions !

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-01-18 2:15 PM

pelmetman - 2013-01-18 12:58 PM

I hear the UK winter is just how it used to be in the old days :D

The difference is that in the old days, when winter came, people just got on with it.

Now, they switch the telly on to wait for instructions !

;-)

So true :D..............Eventually Claims4U lawyers will work out how to sue for people getting stuck in the snow and passing the bill to the taxpayer ;-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-01-18 6:23 PM

And back in the day so I'm told everybody in this country spoke English , unbelievable .

Thee's from West Yorkshire.......they nah nowt abut talkin proper English :D

pelmetman - 2013-01-18 6:28 PM

And back in the day so I'm told everybody in this country spoke English , unbelievable .

Dave , shameful racist stereotyping of Yorkshire folk , hopefully the usual suspects on here will as per usual pounce on your comments and defend us the poor victims of your cheap digs at minorities . :-D

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-01-18 6:59 PM

pelmetman - 2013-01-18 6:28 PM

Dave , shameful racist stereotyping of Yorkshire folk , hopefully the usual suspects on here will as per usual pounce on your comments and defend us the poor victims of your cheap digs at minorities . :-D

Why should they do that Antony? 8-)..................seeing as I originate.... many generations ago from a small village in East Yorkshire ;-).............my post was nothing more than trying to stir up trouble between fellow Yorkshire folk ;-)..................which is still legal..............at the moment >:-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-01-18 7:50 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-01-18 7:37 PM

West Yorkshire's Lancashire init *-) :D :D

Dave

Depends on the colour of rose ;-)

Or Koran ;-).................just trying to keep up with the times :D

Yes the lorry used to go slowly up the street with a man stood in the back throwing grit over the pavements :-D and we could build igloos on the side of the road and nobody destroyed them as traffic was rare, only Ringtons Tea delivery cart that was pulled by a horse!! and we played Tea Mac with a tin can and some sticks!! one rollerskate as one of my 5 sisters would have the other one!!

I though I was the only one that only got 1/8th if a piece of Mars Bar ;-)

But did I have a happy childhood Yes I did (lol)

Archived