Security cameras

Pete-B

Hi,

I'm thinking of fitting a security camera on the front of the house. The steet has seen some vandalism recently but also when I've got the M/Home parked out front it may deter anyone from coming near or at least record them.

I've seem the Swann 780 Pro series advertised at lot and wondered if anyone has any experience of these if so I would appreciate any views or indeed any other make they could recommend, thanks.

Love the Alarm Mine Peter :D

I have Tenvis Outdoor IP Camera. It does need to be connected to a PC to record, it has wifi & cable cat5 connection, does not have a zoom but the picture quality is good. It has a built in web server so you can view anywhere you have an internet connection plenty of apps for smartphones making viewing easy. Has a motion sensor which can be set to start recording & send an email. Not bad for under 50 quid.

You can film or record in a public place if you are a private individual.

You can have a camera covering any part of your house and if it covers the public highway as well then that's OK.

There is no law regarding privacy in a public place.

If you want any recordings to be accepted in court then they need to be date and time stamped, this requires a specific CCTV system.

Peering into neighbours houses or gardens is not allowed so avoid zoom or panning cameras.

H

We have a 4 camera system installed, I purchased it from Ebay for £99 however you do need to buy a hard drive to put into it. Mine has a 250gb which on 'motion detect' records for about a month. The cameras have IR illumination which more than illuminates the monitored area at night. It also has access via a web browser or from a smart phone, my phone is an Android and works fine. All things considered we are very pleased and have had it installed about nine months during which time it has worked flawlessly. You do need a bit of technical knowledge to install it as the manual is in translated Chinese and is rubbish. You do need a VGA pc monitor to view the footage locally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-4CH-CCTV-DVR-Day-Night-Weatherproof-Security-Camera-Surveillance-System-/251047125697?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3a739322c1

Hope this helps

Dave

peter - 2013-01-26 9:48 PM

try one of these as well, they won't come back again. http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964

Working for a security company, I have experience of these devices.

Yes, they do scare the intruder when set off. Now the intruders know where the devices is located they tend to come back a few days later with a vengeance and do some serious damage to get their own back on you.

Attack is not the best form of defense in most cases.

Pete-B - 2013-01-26 8:22 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking of fitting a security camera on the front of the house. The steet has seen some vandalism recently but also when I've got the M/Home parked out front it may deter anyone from coming near or at least record them.

I've seem the Swann 780 Pro series advertised at lot and wondered if anyone has any experience of these if so I would appreciate any views or indeed any other make they could recommend, thanks.

I afraid nobody will be able to tell you if the Swann 780 camera is good for you.

A CCTV camera needs to be specified for the area to be covered and what you expect to achieve by recording images.

For example Dr Dave's cameras may be fine for his application. They have a night-vision range of 10 metres. That is is not very long, especially if the cameras are mounted high up on a house.

You also need to consider the viewing angles of the cameras. Most people think wide angle is good as that will cover all of their front drive. However, a wide angle lens will make people and objects appear smaller (just like a convex wing mirror) and hence harder to identify. You or the police will struggle to identify anyone more than 3 or 4 metres away from a wide and camera.

It is very difficult to recommend a system for a particular person. Just like with television sets some people are happy with a basic set, others wants the full HD experience.

Fell free to PM me if you have any specific questions on products.

Archived