Peugeot Problems

Guest Rob

After reading the post about Fiat 5 th gear problems I was wondering about the Peugeot gearbox,do they suffer a similar fault? As I understand it they are built on the same assembly lines, so this mean that they all end up with the same parts in them? Also, are there any problems with the cam-belt in the Peugeot engine? I am only asking as we are considering buying a Peugeot based vehicle.Thanks for any information.

Rob, The Fiat Ducato is produced at the same factory/production line as the Peugeot and the Citroen of the same size,the plant is called 'Sevel'.As to whether certain parts are different between different 'Badges' they never used to be.Read the replies to Russell's Post. All vehicles whose camshaft is driven by a 'toothed belt' AND whose pistons can contact a 'fully open' valve if the belt breaks. MUST have the Cambelt changed on a regular basis,at the recommended mileage or in the case of a M/H that does low annual mileage at least once every two years( the rubber/compound degrades with age) It is strange how most of the 'Problems' seem to happen to Fiat Ducato's ?? just more of them I suppose ? RayJ

Rob, Although the chassis/bodies are all produced at Sevel it depends what age of Peugeot you are talking about as to what mechanicals are fitted. If you are talking new models then Peugeot 2.2 is pure Peugeot engine and box, if you are talking 94 to 20?? Boxer models then the 2.5 litre normally aspirated and and 2.5 Turbo Deisel are definately Peugeot XUD engines and Peugeot gearboxes (three different types of box I understand). We own one of these that is 1998 and has covered 65000mls with only a split UJ rubber Gaitor repaired and normal servicing (with cam belt change at 59000) oh yes and I had forgotten a new (aftermarket Bosal) exhaust fitted myself, easiest exhaust I have ever changed and cheap at £60 all in. (I just hope that does not put the mockers on it) I beleive the 2.0 petrol is also Pug derivative.

Archived