Flying Solo

Caroline

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Caroline,

May I just say how saddened I am by your situation, how much I admire your spirit and I wish you all the luck in the world.

I may be presuming too much but my first wife died in 2004 which left me living and motorhoming solo for a while so I have a little understanding of what it is like to be solo whatever the reason.

The early months and the first few trips were awful but gradually I got used to being solo and the two things that made life so much easier were having my dog to keep me company and having a sat nav to send me on the right roads as I found both driving and map navigating the big beastie alone was a bit of a handful - and the dog (bless her) is still unable to read a map in spite of me giving her many lessons.

There are several solo camper clubs (phoenix for one but a Google search will pull up others) and maybe meeting like minded folks will help?

Clubs are not my scene but I did meet some very nice people all of whom had the same thing in common - solo camping.

Whilst primarily attended by couples, CCC (Camping and Caravanning Club) rallies and temporary holiday sites could also be a source of meeting new people and one thing is for sure there will almost always be someone around to give you a hand if you have a problem and the social side tends to be friendly.

In the main they don't need to be pre-booked so if the weather or the mood suits you - just go!

Sincere best wishes.

Guest JudgeMental

There was a thread this time last year on a similar subject, and I think people worry more about the prospect then necessary, myself a good example. I'm retired and wife still works but manged solo OK in Spain last winter for 5 weeks (wife was there for Easter period).

Its probably better then being at home to be honest, as you speak to a hell of a lot more people when out and about and on campsites then I do at home.....enjoyed it so much probably going to Spain again in March

you might need to be more specific with what help you think you need...

here is thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Travelling-Alone-by-Motorhome-Abroad/27340/

I think that I am at the moment looking for, I guess encouragement and to hear how other people overcome the couple to solo business.

As with Tracker how he survived and succeeded. (Thanks for your post.)

I do not want to give it up and many of my dreams have been built round the future.

Things like travelling in Europe, in this country I am not so bothered.

Am I being a worry guts, would people pray on a lone female more than a lone male, that is not a prejudice remark just a question, I have wondered about.

From meeting, talking to and at times helping other soloists - and at the risk of being sexist - I think it is far easier for us blokes to go solo travelling than it is for the majority of the fair sex.

Things that us blokes usually do, like changing a gas bottle for the first time, and in particular feeling safe can be quite an issue but experience, common sense and a wee bit of practical support can go a long way to alleviating these issues.

Hope that does not sound too patronising as it is not meant to be.

Guest JudgeMental

statistically males more prone to attacks then females aren't they? Cant see how the risks travelling any different then being at home solo. As long as you are happy in your own company and confident with van I would not be to concerned...you will meet more people guaranteed, and decent weather makes all the difference. and will probably feel better then stopping at home.

as long as you can handle sat nav and the like, just try a trip and see how it goes. Silly things I worried about were, how to manage at tolls without wife just handing me the money lol...So all I did was collect up all the 1 & 2 euro coins and had on dash in container so that concern fixed. moved the sat to my side instead of middle so I could see it more clearly..little things. now happy to drive to Spain alone as have done it once

just try a trip and see how you get on, its hard to make recommendations when you dont know someone, but world be surprised if you did not enjoy it as you have the interest. There was a solo Dutch women on site last year and seemed to manage very well you will not stand out believe me...

Hi Caroline,sorry to hear of your loss,been there,but im a bloke, the club i suggest is the new companions club,approx 600 members,95% approx are single by bereavement,divorce,or choice,

The club is very respectable,proffesionally run,is NOT a dating agency,although a very small amount of members have formed partnerships,and are allowed to remain in club BUT have to be VERY discreet and not cling to each other at meets etc.they hold 2 or 3 rallys and meets most summer weeks of the year plus new year,

This club saved my life,literally when i was bereaved 12yrs.ago.many members travel to Spain every year

in pairs,small groups etc. and mostly camp at camping la Mazzeron and at Mojacar,Sopalmo camp almeria,

When i was in Bonterra Park last Nov [12] i met by chance,an old mate of mine,who had just travelled all the way down

France ,guiding a lady in a van behind,whom he hardly knew when they left,but who were now mates now,nothing more,no pressure,no other club i know of gives you this,i also met another couple of companions,i left the club because i met my now wife outside the club,and you cannot be a couple before you join,i still meet many lovely people from this club reguarly,

Go onto Google,New Companions Club,All contacts you need are there.

Hope this helps you & the very best of luck,i have such admiration for people like you who dont give up when life shatters them.

Dave.

Hi Caroline :-D and good for you in not giving up, Im sorry this has happened to you, and like you I would want to carry on if I possibly could.

I think Patricia would be able to give you some good advice as like you she carried on after losing her partner, Im not sure if when she last posted she was in the U.K or in France ! but I do know she is still enjoying her motor-homing with her lovely new puppy as she lost her lovely collie not long ago.

If you haven't got a dog I would recommend you think seriously of getting one :-D I myself only got my first dog at the age of 50 never ever having one before, I couldn't believe how much companionship and love they bring with them .

Good luck in getting the help you are looking for :-D you never know we might come across you on our travels and would love to chat with you :-D as most of us ladies travelling with our O.H,s are only to glad for a bit of female company after being coop!!! sorry ;-) erm alone with our other half for weeks on end. (lol)

and if you scroll down this link you will find patricia you can p.m her Im sure she would be happy to help

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Travelling-with-dogs/27057/

maggyd - 2013-01-28 3:03 PM

most of us ladies travelling with our O.H,s are only to glad for a bit of female company after being coop!!! sorry ;-) erm alone with our other half for weeks on end. (lol)

and most of us blokes are happy to see our other half wander off for a natter and leave us in peace for a while!!

Hi Caroline, pleased to see you are going to continue motorhoming.

Many years ago, (in John Hunt's days as editor, IIRC) there was an area in the magazine for Solo travellers advertising for like minded companions. Guess the independant clubs (above) now cover this option, but leaves you still travelling Solo, until arrival at Rallies, / Sites.

If you are interested in a travel companion, is it possible one of your circle of female friends would jump at the opportunity to join you. You could then try a weekend or short trip to see how it goes.

Sorry to hear of your loss Caroline. As others have said, all credit to you for carrying on - I'm sure you'll find it's worth the initial effort.

If you spot us anywhere, anytime, come and say hello (silver high-top Transit, RX08CWP). We're always happy to share an evening (and a bottle) - and not just with other couples!

Thank you so much for all your support and words of wisdom, I will look into solo clubs in the future as they sound like the ideal way to stay independent but with company.

I will indeed say hello should we meet, and I always have a bottle in the cellar (under the seat) or a teabag to share with fellow travellers.

(lol) B-)

I have been MH alone now since 2004.

Every year since I have travelled with friends staying either on sites, aires and have on two occassions have run rallies in France.

Last year I went to the French Alps on my own and this year I am going back. Love the mountains.

I do have a cat but it does not like to travel even on a short break and the one time I tried to take it away it protested as cats tend to do. A dog would probably be much better company on your travels.

I have found that people on sites in this country tend to be of the type "Hello" or "Your leaving today"

It is so different on sites, aires abroad where most of the foreigners are more friendly and will try to converse. Ladies in particular always have something to say when you (me) are doing the laundry etc.

Some of the difficulties I encountered in the early years was loading the van. We both had our areas of responsibility and I never had to think about clothes and food. To make sure that I did not overlook anything I made a comprehensive list of everything likely to be needed and tick them off as I loaded the MH. Suggest you do the same.

I have found a satnav very useful. I use a Garmin and plan the route in detail on a laptop and then download it to the GPS. Doing this I go the way I want to and am not controlled by GPS choice.

Turning at some road junctions needs care but by placing the van correctly you will be able to see what is coming from the left/right.

Autoroute toll booths are a bit of a pain solo in a RH drive vehicle. I have found that having a small box with loose change and a few notes is easier that a wallet and I open the NS window just before I stop. But then you have to unbelt etc. The quickest way to pay is by C Card and press the appropriate button for a receipt.

Regarding security you tend to become more aware of your surroundings and take simple precautions, like locking the van when you leave it for a few minutes on site etc.

A Kindle/tablet is ideal for reading matter.

Out of personal choice I have never tried a Club for "singles" but do enjoy CC and CCC rallies/meets.

Have courage, plan your first outings with care. Perhaps some short ones, fairly near to home in the first instance. Flying Solo is so very different, can be enjoyable.

Hi Caroline

I am in the same situation as you having recently lost my husband.

We had motorhomed for over 20 years and I want to carry on.lLike you Caroline I have a lot of motorhoming friends but as you say couples.

I am able to do most things as David had been ill for a few months so I was thrown in at the deep end..

Now I just need the courage to get in and set off on a trip alone...too be honest the thought petrifies me but I know I will do it.

If you ever need company I am available.

Anne

Caroline - 2013-01-28 12:49 PM

I think that I am at the moment looking for, I guess encouragement and to hear how other people overcome the couple to solo business.

As with Tracker how he survived and succeeded. (Thanks for your post.)

I do not want to give it up and many of my dreams have been built round the future.

Things like travelling in Europe, in this country I am not so bothered.

Am I being a worry guts, would people pray on a lone female more than a lone male, that is not a prejudice remark just a question, I have wondered about.

Hi Caroline

I've 'flown solo' the past twelve years though only retired a couple of years ago which threw off the shackles entirely! Now I can go when I want to for as long as I want to.

Regarding lone female vs lone male, I have to admit I haven't met any single women travelling alone on my travels around Europe. Plenty of single men 'flying solo'.....but no women. If I came across one my first thoughts would be 'hats off to you' for having the guts to go it alone in a foreign country.

Much depends on your character and personality. I've always been very outgoing and will chat to everyone and anyone. Never been the shy type! That said, i've sometimes found not all couples are as jolly and friendly as what most singles are. After all......they have each others company and not necessarily interested in conversation with some stranger from a foreign country! There are the exceptions. A French couple who I got chatting with on a site in Slovenia invited me over one evening to share a meal and crack a few bottles of Champagne as it was his wifes birthday. Nice gesture. Another couple I met in Bulgaria.....ended up going swimming with them one day then meeting the entire family where I was treated to real Bulgarian meals and came away with a much better understanding of the country, the Bulgarian people and their culture. I will also never forget the Bulgarian lady I met who acted as interpreter at a tiny little site I found where nobody spoke any English and the site owner phoned for her to come and help him out! She was so fluent in English it was staggering and conversing with her was just like speaking to any other British! I think it helped that she was a retired Physicist who had worked under Communist times and we had long and deep political conversations into the early evening. A very interesting lady who gave me much to think about.

As a single person you will always find there will be someone there to help though sometimes it works the other way too. I had just finished checking my tyres at a Petrol Station in Romania when a woman pulled up in her car and couldn't figure out how to get the air pump machine to start.....so I did it for her and also pumped her tyres. She was Romanian but certainly saw the funny side of it and we both had a good laugh!

I always make sure my mobile phone is well topped up with plenty of pre-paid credit on and keep an eye on the battery power. It's not a 'fancy phone'.....just a basic phone.....but that's my lifeline should anything go belly up.

All my travelling, with the exception of one occasion which will remain unmentioned, has been, and always will be, in Eastern Europe. Culturally very different from that in the west and the people very warm, welcoming and friendly. Many times i've found myself in obscure desolate areas where absolutely nobody can speak or understand one word of English.....not even 'yes' or 'no'......yet i've still managed to buy food, order a meal or have a few espressos.

And if I can do that.............you can too Caroline!! Go for it!!

davanne - 2013-01-29 2:08 PM

Hi Caroline

I am in the same situation as you having recently lost my husband.

We had motorhomed for over 20 years and I want to carry on.lLike you Caroline I have a lot of motorhoming friends but as you say couples.

I am able to do most things as David had been ill for a few months so I was thrown in at the deep end..

Now I just need the courage to get in and set off on a trip alone...too be honest the thought petrifies me but I know I will do it.

If you ever need company I am available.

Anne

Oooooh.......only just saw your post Anne!!

Here you go then Caroline........another 'solo' female who is also 'available'! (lol)

Why not take Anne up on her offer and both of you have a crack at some European touring? No idea of your choice or interest of countries, but mine is fairly obvious and i'd have no hesitation in recommending you 'turn left' at Calais or Dunkerque.....and keep heading that way!

Happy travels!

Hi Caroline

So sorry to hear that you have joined the solo fraternity and, as the same misfortune befell me a few years ago, I know exactly how you feel. Although I too had done some driving whilst my husband was still alive, I could still rely on him if I got in a difficult situation. However, once solo, I decided that I did not want to sit at home alone all the time, so, I bit the bullet and continued travelling. I have made a few mistakes. For instance, on the return from my first sally I had forgotten to close the window in the luton but very fortunately I didn't hit anything and I constantly forget to retract the electric step, only remembering after trying to start the engine. I had also never put diesel in nor emptied the cassette etc. so it was a steep learning curve. We had always shared the chores and I found it difficult at first to remember everything. The solo driving was very strange too at first - the cab seemed very large and empty!

However, as had been suggested, I joined the singles clubs but only ever went out with the New Companions. I am still a member and enjoy the meets very much but I now travel all over France, down through Spain and this year hope to include Switzerland and Germany in my travels. I go to France at least twice a year usually staying for about three months each time. I meet lots of nice people and the French are very friendly especially on aires and service stops. I found it rather lonely the first year and then I realised that I must have looked miserable and put people off!

So a few tips: I do stay on aires in France if necessary, particularly in the winter when the sites are closed, but I find that campsites are about the same price as they usually only charge per person. I try not to leave the motorhome on service areas but use my own facilities as that is when the vans are most vulnerable. Automatic tollbooths are a pain as I am quite short and so have to dismount at each time to pay as I cannot reach the slots. I am considering buying the Liberty-T so that I can avoid this problem which is even worse when I travel by car. Have a mobile phone for safety (but if you breakdown on the autoroutes use the telephones at the side, not your mobile) and breakdown insurance (I have the German ADAC who are excellent). It is certainly a good idea to have a dog as a companion and guard (it also encourages people to speak to you), have sensible extra locks fitted, particularly to the cab doors (the most vulnerable) and set your perimeter alarm at night (if you have one). I am sure I will think of more things once I have submitted this post!

I hope you decide to join the New Companions and hope to meet you on one of their meets. Most of them are quite small but the annual one is large, good fun and an opportunity to meet a lot of new people. This year it is at Brean from 25 April for 7 nights. I may be in France then but if not, and you go, I would be pleased to meet you.

If you would like to chat or have any more queries please contact me. Good luck and happy travelling.

The invitation to contact me goes out to Davanne too, and anyone else for that matter, who is in the same situation.

sheer lunar-see - 2013-01-29 10:42 PM

Sorry to hear of your situation, GET A DOG, best friend, someone to moan at, never answer back, dont ask for anything,appart from your friendship and good insurance policy. You also meet people who will first talk to the dog, then you.

Not quite - a dog also needs it's owner to have wellies and waterproofs plus enjoy the dubious pleasures of going walkies in all weathers, an understanding vet, food to eat , toys to play with, treats for treating, a passport for foreign forays, collars and leads and lots of doggie bags - plus the acceptance that life will never be the same again and if you want to go away dogless it means relying on friends, family or the local kennels!

Apart from that it's all positives!!

I have also recently lost my husband and am facing a future of "flying solo".

Untill last year I hadn't driven our van or dealt with such things as toilet empying and gas bottle changing. My husband was told he couldn't drive December 2012 and once we realised that this was going to be permanent he pushed me into driving and then gave me lessons in how to change gas bottles and various other jobs that he had always carried out. My biggest problem was how to get the van out off our drive. We live on a right hand bend on a narrow estate road. Manouvering in and out with the van is a work of art that I had not tried! I found the actual driving was fine but reversing in and out of small spaces was going to take a bit of practice.

In June we managed 3 weeks away in this country. I did all of the driving and Terry was still able to do the toilet and gas at that point. Terry was desperate to have a holiday in France something we've done every year for 20 years so in July I bit the bullet and took us to for 4 weeks I was having to do everything, drive , navigate and all of the jobs relating to arriving and departing from sites. This was quite an achievement for me as I'd never driven in France or for the distances I covered either not to mention boarding the ferry.

At this point I still hadn't got the van either in or out of our drive. Terry was still able to do it, so did. By the time we arrived home he was very ill and I had to reverse it in. It took me ages but I eventual managed.

Unfortunately we only had another 4 weeks together but I know that he wanted me to carry on using the van. I'm not ready to give it up yet. I have alot of years in front of me and so must keep going. I also have two grandchildren the eldest of which is 12 and has been away with his grandad every year since he was 4 years old. we had hoped to start taking our 3 year old granddaughter away this year. So its up to me now.

In November I did have a weekend away quite close by. I met up with some friends on a C&CC rally. I struggled to get the van out of the drive and managed to catch the side on the garage roof guttering. It is parked along side the garage. This was the first time I had actually driven the van completely alone. I was nervous but managed ok. All though I must admit it was lonely.

I am now waiting for some decent weather so that I can attempt a few days on my own and see how I get on. I really would like to go to France this summer and am trying to build up the courage to do so.

I read this forum all of the time as there is a mine of information out there. There is so much I have to learn. I did manage to drain everything down for winter. Hopefully it has been successfull and nothing has frozen!!

Reading the other postings from solo motorhomers has given me some encouragement. You do tend to feel as if you are the only one in this situation.

Thanks to any one who reads all of this I know its quite long.

Ness

Archived