Flying Solo

Caroline

Welcome to the forum Ness and congratulations because you seem to be doing very well. The first few months after a bereavement often destroy or at least deplete confidence and I am sure that clipping the van has not helped. However, it is only metal and I have made a few extra marks e.g. side window broken which took weeks and weeks to repair and wing mirror caught in a similar manner. Don't let it put you off!!

You do not mention whether you have a reversing camera. Personally I think this is essential when driving solo especially when driving abroad - very necessary for overtaking etc. The first time I drove in France solo and overtook a lorry on a very windy day I don't think I breathed until I got round it. Now it is not a problem but, as I used to tow a caravan, I still remember to accelerate slightly just as I am clearing the vehicle - keeps the van steadier.

Good luck for your future trips and read my earlier posts about the clubs for solo adventurers and send me a pm if you want to. You haven't added your location but if you are local maybe we could meet.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel much more positive now knowing there are others in the same position.

Caroline thank you for your pm I'm sure we could manage to meet up sometime maybe even in Spain if we are both thinking of going next winter.

Ness what area are you from? You have been brave and managed to get away solo.

Like you until recently all I had done was a little driving but on our last trip away in October I had to do everything as David was unwell.....it's surprising what you can do when you put your mind to it!!!!

Patricia thank you for your offer of support to us all it is really appreciated .

I felt so alone and wondered if I could carry on and now feel quite upbeat and can't wait for some better weather.

Come on girls we can do it!!!

Anne

Well done all of you who have given it a go! It's never a mistake, it's a learning moment if things go a bit wrong, at least you tried, better than sitting at home in front of the tv feeling sad.

Remember to do things your way, you don't have to do everything the same as you did as a couple, trips could be shorter or longer, eat out more, or maybe less, try new campsites, perhaps a new hobby like photography, or learning a language, could give enormous satisfaction.

Thanks Patricia for your advice and kind words. i live in North Yorkshire. I don't have a reversing camera but my van is an Autosleeper Symbol ES so isn't too big. It is something i will bear in mind though if I find it difficult reversing. i also find myself holding my breath when passing large lorries!

Like Anne I to feel more positive now, or at least I did untill this afternoon when I went outside and found the wind had blown some tiles off of the garage roof which had hit the van and left a couple of dents and some scratches. The dents aren't too bad and are quite high up on the van so shouldn't be too noticable, I will have to sort out the scratches though as a couple are quite deep. I decided I should move the van over as far from the garage as I could only to find that the battery is completely flat!! I was then feeling pretty fed up as you can imagine.

Any way my son in law will sort out the garage roof and a friend will sort the battery for me, so it's not the end of the world. it just felt like it this afternoon.

As Anne says "We can do it". It may be a steep learning curve but we will get there in the end and it's good to know that there are lots of people out there who have been through it already and have lots of advice and experiences to share.

Ness

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2013-01-31 10:59 PM

Congratulations all you solo ladies.

Just think as the first step always seems the largest, but with you supporting each other it will be much smaller.

Enjoy your travels.

Yes indeed....what worry's me is am I going to wake up tomorrow morning after reading all these story's*-)

while Mrs M happy to drive the panel van (would not touch the CB) I would think she would have no interest in carrying on with the pursuit, although she enjoys it as much as me. Ladies consider a downsize to a panel van :-D

Well what can I say, the response is fantastic and has really given me a boost. Thank you so much to everyone for sharing their stories and offering to share themselves.

Unfortunately I still do the four letter word (w..k) and as much as I think a dog would help me in the van it would not be fair at the moment, I need a new job that I can take a job too..

I have considered downsizing the van, but my van has everything I could want it might be big, but it is comfy and the more I drive it the more confident I become, I did have a small panic when I was looking at the tyres thinking could I do this but then realised I was looking at an over large car and if I could manage a car I could do this, plus as I was reminded I have RAC Arrival. Until it needs changing is not really cost effective, it would defiantly be another Autotrail there has been a lot of support from my friends in the club.

I was not sure when I created the thread what sort of response I would get so would like to say a very

Heartfelt thanks.

:-) :-) :-D

Caroline - 2013-02-01 1:00 PM

I did have a small panic when I was looking at the tyres thinking could I do this but then realised I was looking at an over large car and if I could manage a car I could do this, plus as I was reminded I have RAC Arrival. :-) :-) :-D

No shame in that Caroline, me thinks most of the guys would also use their breakdown service to change a tyre roadside.

Patricia - 2013-01-29 9:49 PM

Hi Caroline

So sorry to hear that you have joined the solo fraternity and, as the same misfortune befell me a few years ago, I know exactly how you feel. Although I too had done some driving whilst my husband was still alive, I could still rely on him if I got in a difficult situation. However, once solo, I decided that I did not want to sit at home alone all the time, so, I bit the bullet and continued travelling.

Ness - 2013-01-30 6:02 PM

I have also recently lost my husband and am facing a future of "flying solo".

Untill last year I hadn't driven our van or dealt with such things as toilet emptying and gas bottle changing. In June we managed 3 weeks away in this country. I did all of the driving and Terry was still able to do the toilet and gas at that point. Terry was desperate to have a holiday in France something we've done every year for 20 years so in July I bit the bullet and took us to for 4 weeks

Ouch!!

Two on to one as well. (lol)

flicka - 2013-02-01 10:40 PM

I did have a small panic when I was looking at the tyres thinking could I do this but then realised I was looking at an over large car and if I could manage a car I could do this, plus as I was reminded I have RAC Arrival. :-) :-) :-D

No shame in that Caroline, me thinks most of the guys would also use their breakdown service to change a tyre roadside.

At the prices we pay Flick I for one would certainly have no hesitation in calling them out if I needed the spare fitting. My wheels are damn heavy and picking one up almost takes your arm sockets out of joint!

Only time I would do it myself is if I was out in the middle of nowhere.

Guest JudgeMental

Well........I woke up OK this morning, slight hangover but hey ho I was worried wasn't I!

Who is next I wonder, for the non motorhoming pearly gates from among our number :-(

Maybe we should start a weekly head count *-)

Hi Caroline

I too am going solo this year plus my German Shepherd Dog. I am of the older generation who have returned from 6 years in France after losing my husband. I decided to buy a 2 berth Auto-cruise and travel to France to meet up with old friends who live in the Limousin region.

I too feel a little apprehensive in case something goes wrong with the mechanic s of the van. I am going to have a full service before I go which should alleviate any disasters. I am intending to travel down the west coast stopping at C.C. sites to the Dordogne and then travel back towards the Limousin. What is the Ferry like, is it easy to park? I am going from Poole to Cherbourg.

Any advice Caroline.

Lonely traveller. Maureen

1465662622_CopyofDittondog.jpg.b053d3417e798b07365375a8808539ef.jpg

Hi Maureen

If you are going on the fast cat from Poole, you may find that you have to back on, and then you drive off other end.

We go from Portsmouth and this is what we have to do, due to height

Have a great time, and I am sure you will meet others who will be frienndly to you on the way.

PJay

Hi Maureen

If you are internet friendly, I find it helps to look on Google maps; you can zoom right in and see what the area looks like before I go and then when you get there it is as if you have been before. You can "Walk" along the road on the computer see the entrance to sites, also a help in identifying Aires.

I am afraid I have not travelled from Poole but I am sure if you start a new thread someone will be able to give you in depth information.

Have a fantastic time.

Caroline

(lol)

maureendogdom - 2013-02-04 3:13 PM   I too feel a little apprehensive in case something goes wrong with the mechanics of the van.

It is vital that you have breakdown and recovery cover abroad - ideally with English speaking phone contact - as the costs can be astronomical especially in France.
This is often included in the van insurance and whilst we have never used it it is good to know it is there and anecdotally those who have needed it seem to say it does what it should. 
If not included or addable RAC Arrival through the CCC is very good but cheap it ain't!
If we see anyone with UK plates broken down we generally stop if it is safe and offer our limited support - but generally they already have help coming which is good to know.
That said don't expect too much comeraderie from other 'vanners - they all wave and grin stupidly in passing but not many want to chat on site or aire or help you if you need it!

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2013-02-01 10:40 PM

I've used them several times to change my tyres :D...................well I might of scratched my nail varnish 8-)

A few years ago I saw a lady motorhoming alone ( in a Romahome ) on the Outer Hebrides, and again later on the mainland, who took a lot of her pot plants on holiday with her.

She set them out along the side of the van on-site.

When I spoke to her she seemed very confident .

;-)

Hi, Caroline,

Good for you for not giving up! I can only speak for travelling solo in Britain and France. My partner is still working but I'm retired so I frequently disappear with the van for a few weeks before he can come and join me. In Britain I'm sorry to say people will say 'Good morning' and that's it, from my experience, but I've found in France fellow motorhomers seem fascinated that I'm travelling alone - they'll stop and talk and give advice on where to stay next, recommending aires etc and have often asked me to join them for a glass of wine. (Of course I have to accept to be sociable!!) The men are always ready to help with fixing anything, eg when the end dropped off my awning winder three men saw me struggling and came over with tools to help.And take your own toolbox for when there's no-one around.

So my best bit of advice is if you're going to one particular country, learn as much of the language as you can before you leave, as without it there's no communication. I'm fluent in French so I always travel in France alone as that's where I feel comfortable, and of course it's so easy to get to from Britain, (Unless you live a long way 'oop north'!)

If you go to the south of France and the Alps this summer and see a woman on her own in a yellow Vauxhall Movano converted van - come and say 'Bonjour'!! and we'll share a glass of wine, or two.

Good luck!!

Oh yes, and another piece of advice Caroline,

If you're travelling through France and use the tolls, register with SANEF Tolling:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

You get a transponder that fixes onto your windscreen and you never have to worry about faffing about at the peage, the transponder sets off the barrier which bleeps and lets you through without you having to do anything. (Before I used it I had to keep getting out and running round to the other side to fiddle with the machines). The money is taken from your account a month or two after your trip.

You pay 20 euros to start with and 2 euros a month for the months you use it only, but it's well worth it for the amount of hassle it saves you when driving on your own through France.

YellowVanWoman - 2013-02-05 10:59 AM

Oh yes, and another piece of advice Caroline,

If you're travelling through France and use the tolls, register with SANEF Tolling:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

You get a transponder that fixes onto your windscreen and you never have to worry about faffing about at the peage, the transponder sets off the barrier which bleeps and lets you through without you having to do anything. (Before I used it I had to keep getting out and running round to the other side to fiddle with the machines). The money is taken from your account a month or two after your trip.

You pay 20 euros to start with and 2 euros a month for the months you use it only, but it's well worth it for the amount of hassle it saves you when driving on your own through France.

This sounds a good idea, even if not travelling alone, if you have a right hand drive van. As I'm the one sitting on the toll side, I often have trouble reaching the ticket , and have to get out of the seat, to get the ticket

Shall look into this Thanks for this post

PJay

I wish you well in all your endeavours.

However, without trying to be nosey may I ask what age group you are in? I only mention it because tackling something relatively new is different if you are in your late 50's for example or in your 70's. I also suggest that after a year or so, you may feel that downsizing to a smaller van could be beneficial. I appreciate you like the existing one and probably it has good memories, but reversing a coachbuilt can be interesting with a partner guiding you at the back, on your own it can be more daunting. Yes, I know there will always be someone wiling to help but many people like to be independent and do as much themselves as they can. I am not suggesting a camper like a VW but more something like the Ducato at 6 meters which is basically a large van and has all one needs, but being more compact will be a lot easier to 'get up and go' and may even be used for shopping and sightseeing. As also mentioned a dog may be a good idea for companionship, as long as you live in a house that can support it. If you are in a high rise block of flats it will be more difficult.

As for trips abroad there are both 'official' ones through the Clubs and also often small groups who travel together in 'convoys' of 5 - 10 vans. You may even find another single person who is in a similar situation and you can go together to support each other, but do 'your own thing' as it were on site. As mentioned the MMM used to have a section for singles so maybe a letter to the magazine may elicit a response or 2.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmm....Husband or rear camera......let me ponder :D

Have to agree though, a panel van perfect for one.......Much less stress, far easier and more pleasant to drive and better fuel consumption as well.

Not necessarily better fuel consumption Judge. Our first m/home was a panel van and the best performance was only 21 mph, whereas the Cheyenne gives 28-29mph so much better.

Maureen, which department in Limousin were you living? I am in Puy-de-Dome (at the source of the Dordogne) for up to 6 months a year but very near the border with Correze. PM me if you would like to meet up some time - I have plenty of room for another m/home and would enjoy the company.

Re the Liberty-T pay schemes on the autoroutes - there are several and I intend to buy into the scheme this year. I researched it some time ago and decided to buy by Boulogne but I can't remember the name of the company. They all have different pay charges and there is one where you can pay in sterling. Is that the one that you are recommending? There was quite a long discussion about it but I can't remember the title of the thread but I am sure Derek will.

Edit: Clive (coach2000) bought into one of the schemes (the sterling one) and if you quote his name you will receive some euros and so will he. I will try to find more details.

If you are worried about reversing (and you may very well not be) a camera is very reassuring and perhaps more importantly almost essential for overtaking in France if driving solo in a righthand drive m/home.

Best price for breakdown cover in my opinion is ADAC. For 79€50 they cover you annually for every country in Europe, in any vehicle (possibly weight or length restrictions) etc. I can vouch for them as I paid one day and broke down the next on an autoroute - no problems for me but cost them 175€.

Archived