Trolly jacks

Mickydripin

Hi all I am thinking of buying a trolly jack for my CI Carioca 694, 3,500 Tonnes.

I have used a 2 tonnes jack and was not very happy with it as it seamed to struggle to lift the van.

Can anyone recommend the best one to use have you brought one for your van are the fast lift jack the best or the slow lift ones.

How much did you pay for yours and what size do you think I will need or have you seen one at a decent price that will do the job I know you only get what you pay for but at what cost.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I have 2 of these :-

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000g-3-tonne-professional-garage-j

I bought them on the VAT FREE promo which they run every now and then and i had an extra

E-mail voucher which they let me use as well because i was buying 2.

All in i paid £69 each and i`m very very happy with them.

These are not the " Cheapies " that you can get from the likes of ALDI and LIDL they are very

well constructed and very very HEAVY.

They sit very well on the ground due to the wide " Footprint " they have.

Having 2 means i can comfortably lift the entire Rear End ,3.850 Kg van soon to be 4.100 Kgs

for when i`m changing round the wheels etc.to even up wear.

I`m sure others will be along shortly to disagree but these are what i use that`s all.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Graham.

The jack I carry in my motorhome is a 12 ton bottle jack that used to be part of a MERC tractor unit tool kit. I also carry a 3/4 cold socket and extention plus a piece of scaffold tubing for stubborn studs. Small trolley jacks are useless and take up to much space. Loaded motorhomes are very deceiving when you have a flat tyre. For piece of mind its always best to do a dummy run and do a wheel change at home then you have an idea of what to expect from the tackle you are using.

I carry a spare wheel, the van was not supplied with one and I have a trolley jack, but in reality I would call the breakdown mob.

However, I do feel that the prevalent attitude of manufacturers to not supply a spare and the means to change a wheel, utterly ridiculous.

Yes it adds to the cost, which is miniscule compared to the inconvenience and cost of the original product be it, car or motorhome.

On Watchdog the Motormanufacturers association bloke, stated that the non supply of spare wheels was down to weight saving and thus emissions. On this basis I wonder why we all carry around so much fuel, when we only need enough for our journey. This fuel weighs far more than a spare.

Rant over, but I am really surprised that motoring magazines, tv programs are not getting onto this matter. :-D

In the good old days it was common for HGV drivers to do their own wheel changes and even puncture repairs at the side of the road, most carried a set of tyre levers, a sledge hammer and an air line to connect to the air tanks to inflate the repaired tyre. Tubeless tyres where unheard of, the wheel was fitted with a collar which had to be released to allow the tyre to come off. Today in some cases the wheel can be left on whilst the tyre is changed. How times have changed. I've seen motorhomers abroad marooned because of tyre problems and wandered how long they had to wait for assistance. Auto-Trail motorhomes had a brief spell making motorhomes without provision for a spare but are now back fitting them as standard.

Thanks Wooie I will have a look at them from machine mart and it is a good idea to get a pair so that you can lift the front or the back at the same time.

Where did you get the voucher from?.

To the other answers thanks and sorry that I did not say that I wanted the trolly jack for when I am at home to do maintainance on the van, I do carry a 12 ton bottle jack also from a merk when I was a lorry driver as that is great and not too heavy "or not as heave as the trolly jack".

I have been looking aroung and prices seam to vary from a hundred to as high as the sky but the one that Wooie has mentioned seams to come in to the right bracket for a pair I will have to look out for the VAT free period.

Mike

I've got 2 5 ton bottle jacks, one I bought and one that came with the Mercedes base vehicle. No crappy scissor jack like fiat Et al.

I once helped an elderly couple change a wheel on their motorhome using the standard Fait jack. Interesting experience but if it had not been for the site warden arriving with some timer blocks I think I would have not had the courage to remove the wheel at all. I now carry a suitable bottle jack and a short length of scaffold board to use on soft or uneven ground. I also carry an extending wheel brace to remove the bolts.

If you do change a wheel yourself do take it to get the torque setting checked and adjusted as soon as possible. Especially if you have alloy wheels.

rolandrat - 2013-01-29 4:19 PM

I also carry a 3/4 cold socket and extention plus a piece of scaffold tubing for stubborn studs. .

You need to be careful you don't damage your wheel nuts, 3/4 inch sockets are not an exact fit as your nuts should be metric.

Or did you mean a 3/4 inch drive socket and extention bar? You know how us ladies need the correct information. :D

donna miller - 2013-01-30 7:34 PM

rolandrat - 2013-01-29 4:19 PM

I also carry a 3/4 cold socket and extention plus a piece of scaffold tubing for stubborn studs. .

You need to be careful you don't damage your wheel nuts, 3/4 inch sockets are not an exact fit as your nuts should be metric.

Or did you mean a 3/4 inch drive socket and extention bar? You know how us ladies need the correct information. :D

Quite right Donna ... size is important to us ladies isn't it ... but even a millimetre can be absolutely VITAL to some men!!! :D

We have a 6 tonne bottle jack, but we've now got another smaller one (2 tonne I think) as well so we'll keep the smaller one in the van and leave the larger one for home use.

To all those wh ohave a bottle jack I'd suggest you check it will go under a part of the chassis which will allow you to lift the corner of the van far enough to remove a wheel, bear in mind if you're changing a flat tyre that the chassis will be around 3-4" lower than with an inflated tyre. I carry a 6 tonne bottle jack but on my Iveco I have plenty of clearance to get it under the chassis or even the rear axle.

D.

Archived