Driver's seat problem

Patricia

In trouble again so I need help please - seems like a new problem each week just lately!

The clip which holds the driver's seat material in place under the seat has broken so I need to source a new one. Turning the swivel has ripped the material a bit but I don't think this is a massive problem if I can find a new clip. At the moment though it means that I cannot swivel the seat now without risking further damage. The clip is 30cm long. Has anyone any ideas where I might try to find a replacement please?

You don't say what age or make the van is but assuming it's Fiat the seat frame and base are probably original just recovered by Autotrail so I would take a photo and email it to Autotrail parts dept and - if there is one near you - also take the broken bit to the Fiat dealer and ask them?

Patricia,

This should be a piccy of the clip(s) used to attach the fabric to the wire frame of the seat base, tis on my Cheyenne anyway, which is about to be taken to Regal for overhaul.

The clips are of differing length depending to what part of the frame they clip on to and are stiched into the fabric.

Are these the items you mean? I would think they come on the roll so to speak and are cut to suit.

Bye

Lance

B-)

Photo0028.thumb.jpg.1e3eee9629551d919a544433a0886e1b.jpg

Thank you Lancepar - excellent picture and precisely the same as mine would have been! My apologies for taking so long to reply but I took some photos last night but could not download them to the computer, tried again tonight and succeeded eventually but then could not make them small enough to upload on to here. However, I think I have now succeeded.

My clip is much longer than yours. it is 30cm, almost a foot and there is no way that I could stitch it on firmly enough. It will need a professional with an industrial sewing machine to do it unfortunately and I am almost certain that the seat would have to be removed.. I will need to find a seat recoverer near to me. The nearest one that I know of is at Gloucester but It is only a one-woman firm so could be too big a job.

Will now try to upload the photos!

Edit: Managed that then. As you can see the curled edge has split off completely.

383672247_P1020180(FILEminimizer).JPG.f8ac6d20721e22e2023b30e848b4d5dc.JPG

1907997117_P1020182(FILEminimizer).JPG.fc34fb152f47065ffdfb2e50e5ed57b3.JPG

So the clip is now in two halves along its length then - yes?

A quick fix would be the method used by classic car replacement seat cover kit suppliers to hold and tension the covers intead of 'hog' rings.

Leave the section of clip stitched to the cover and use half a dozen nylon ties spaced along its length either through small holes drilled /punched in the plastic trim or through the fabric next to the trim.

Thread the ties around the wire frame where the original clip was positioned and tension the cover by tightening the ties and cut off or tuck the ends of the ties out of the way.

Only thing is the underside of the seat will need to be exposed so the seat will need to come out.

I can explain how to remove the seat if you decide to have a go yourself.

HTH

Lance

Lance thank you for your suggestion. It sounds a good idea but I think I might be able to glue the clip back under the seat. I hope so as removing the seat is far beyond my capabilities. Fortunately the cloth covering of the seat is still quite taut so I am hoping that I will not have to stretch it.

lancepar - 2013-02-04 6:5

Leave the section of clip stitched to the cover and use half a dozen nylon ties spaced along its length either through small holes drilled /punched in the plastic trim or through the fabric next to the trim.

Thread the ties around the wire frame where the original clip was positioned and tension the cover by tightening the ties and cut off or tuck the ends of the ties out of the way.

HTH

Lance

Hi This is what i do on the transits at work its easy and effective forget the glue.

paul

Patricia,

Yes I agree, the cover is a good fit around the foam and one clip missing from the wire frame probably won't make any difference.

Removing the seat is straight forward but it is heavy especially with the addition if the swivel device.

Bye

Lance

B-)

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestion. I will try that idea when I have assistance, e.g. strong man, at hand! The main problem, as you can see, is that the rest of the clip and the material are hanging down. This appears to get caught in the swivel and I am afraid of damaging the material further.

denkate - 2013-02-07 3:29 PM

Hi Patricia,

I live in Stourport If I can be of any assistance please get in touch I will gladly help.

What a wonderfully kind offer - thank you very much. I may need to take you up on your offer but not for a few weeks yet.

Popped my drivers seat in to Regal today and asked if the black plastic clips are sold by anyone.

They say they are hard to come by and couldn't suggest anyone I'm afraid. :'(

From their reply I concluded that they didn't have any either.

This is their number if you want to ask them yourself 01159 329 988

B-)

Thank you but I don't think a new clip would be practical even if one was available as the material is stitched to the existing covering and I could not stitch on to a new clip. I originally thought that the clip came in two halves but I was wrong. When the weather is better I will try the suggestion outlined above. Thanks again though for your help.

Archived