Habitation Service

Lochburn

I am putting my Benimar into habitation service next week ( £ 150.) and have one question.

If they find that a light bulb has gone or battery needs changed, will they charge me for the extra work carried out or only for the parts? Pleased to hear.

There is no universally accepted version of a habitation service (although there is a caravan council recommended one), so your best bet by far will be to ask the firm what they will include, before you take your van to them.

If you know a lamp has failed (I'm assuming you mean an internal lamp as you have said habitation service) they are usually quite easy to replace so I would, from preference, change my own. I always carry a few spares when travelling, and they will cheaper to source on the net than via most motorhome/caravan dealers.

If you think your battery is dud, providing you can lift the original out (that are very heavy) I would take the same route. Identify what the original battery is, then ask on here for recommendations for a suitable replacement (we are lucky to have a several real battery experts on this forum), and then buy accordingly. You are likely to get a considerably better battery that way, than you would by just allowing the dealer to supply what he usually sells, probably cheaper as well. And the on-line suppliers do deliver all around the UK.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Absolutely agree with Brian, it really is not quantum physics to check everything over yourself and you'll know it has been done ! . Why not ask them for just a gas check, mind you I doubt they will play ball,but you never know. ;-)

There is a Forum member on here that I would highly recommend if your in the Telford area however ;-)

but personally I've had some pretty lack lustre experiences with others :-(

As Brian said, just ask them what the scope of the "service" is and what if any nasty surprises there could be.

Archived