FIAMMA 65s.........what to do with it?

snowie

Fiamma F65s; Do I offer it to Bulletguy; or do I get it repaired??

I've attached a couple of pic's which explain exactly what has happened.

Took a trip over to Liverpool area (another story) on Thursday, across the Woodhead Pass, scenic route. High winds, and van moved about quite a bit on A1 and elsewhere. Otherwise ok.

Had a lovely stay at a CC site at Ellesmere Port, emptied our daughter's flat ( where did all that stuff come from!!) and on one of my trips between the van and the flat I noticed that all was not quite as it had been before!

I think it could only have been wind damage.

Do I : 1. Claim on insurance. 2. Repair it, at my own expense, or 3. Sell it to Bulletguy?!!

It weighs quite a bit, we'll never fit front and side panels (have you seen the cost!)

and I quite like the lightweight sun shade that Eriba vanners and VW campers use.

I'm tempted to get rid if I can persuade the co-pilot.

Has anybody had this happen, and are there any options I've not thought of?

regards

alan b

awning2.jpg.e5625174a53ad151fc0a56ebb551771d.jpg

awning1.jpg.15d2ba363797e70f50a1396e7096abd7.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

I seriously damaged mine and thought it was a new one (thunderstorm on italian lakes) so with the use of gaffa tape and tie raps bodged it back in and stopped in at Belgian dealer on way home..he had all the bits needed in stock and fixed in an hour and charged me 200€ which was a result I think....

I hardly ever leave out now as weather can change so rapidily *-)

here you go.. this link should provide diagram to id parts you need.. :-D

http://www.fiammastore.com/Awning-Spares/F65-Polar-White-and-Titanium-Size-450-to-490

Thanks Judge, I've had a few sleepless nights over mine, but I make a rule not to leave it out when travelling at 60mph!.

But seriously; looking at how rigid the cover is, I'm really surprised at the damage. I'm at a loss to see how a gap opened up to let the wind get in, but I'll also admit that I'm reluctant to wind it in too tight for fear of damaging the mechanism.

Another job for Monday, along with getting the Gaffa-Tape off everywhere!

cheers,

alan b

If the awning works fine and it is just a 'cosmetic' problem, you might find that you can actually straighten out the 'bulging' bit - I think the fact that you didn't actually wind your awning in sufficiently so that it 'clunked' tight might be the cause of the problem as it has let the wind get into the larger the gap.

As for removing it and going for an easi canopy, remember that you have to be able to deploy them fully and secure them well to be able to use them, if you occasionally use the Fiamma awning only part way out, ie as a partical sun shade or rain guard (useful for when the dogs have been out in the rain so we can dry them off before putting them in the van) you can't do this with a removable awning.

Hi Mel;

I thought I'd "clunked" it, but backed off from that extra 1/32 of a turn that it needed. In future I'll check that the awning has engaged in the cover securely.

I take your point regarding the sun screening; we do that quite a lot, and also wind it out about half a metre when it's rainy, to stop the water running down the back of our necks and soaking the inside of the van ( a disadvantage of the large slider (we find)).

Lots to think about. If I were doing a spec' for the van now, I'd probably not include this type of awning, but that's with hindsight,

cheers

alan b

Ours did the same whilst travelling in high winds.

Just reach up and pull the thing back into place it should just go back, similar to popping a dent. This is a design flaw with the awning, it is just too long, but Fiamma wont admit to it.

gocro - 2013-02-03 3:32 PM

Just reach up and pull the thing back into place it should just go back, similar to popping a dent. This is a design flaw with the awning, it is just too long, but Fiamma wont admit to it.

Thanks for that Gordon; sounds worth a try. Did you unscrew at the ends before pulling the front edge down? My instinct says at least loosen fixings on both ends before applying force. It felt very rigid when I was applying the Gaffa-Tape, but there's no sign of any creasing.

Maybe a shorter awning would be better.

cheers,

alan b

Hi,

My F65 awning did that when we got caught in a gust of crosswind last year.

I climbed up on a step ladder and unscrewed the rear end cap and it popped back into place.

I agree it's a design fault.

Does yours have two or three support brackets? mine has only two but a "support here" label in the middle.

It was fitted by our (now defunct ) dealer when we bought it new

Steve 

Homenaway - 2013-02-03 9:03 PM

My F65 awning did that when we got caught in a gust of crosswind last year. climbed up on a step ladder and unscrewed the rear end cap and it popped back into place. I agree it's a design fault. Does yours have two or three support brackets? mine has only two but a "support here" label in the middle. It was fitted by our (now defunct ) dealer when we bought it new

Thanks Steve; looks like it's not just a one-off.

Can't remember how many supports there are, but I'll have a look.

I suppose I can deal with it if it goes back into place ok; once in 3 years is just about ok. Maybe I'll contact Fiamma just to suggest they have a look at it , assuming they still sell one this wide?

cheers

alan b

thebishbus - 2013-02-03 9:04 PM

It does look like a design fault. I would try pushing it back down into place. Then to stop it happening again I would make a thick U shaped steel strap to fix over the awning case at that centre point, fixed at the roof side of the awning case.

Brian B.

Thanks Brian;

I'm not sure about a strap around the awning, a bit of a bind to undo every time you want to extend the awning, Maybe a couple of lugs on the awning could do the trick; I'll mull it over and see what I can come up with,

cheers

alan b

Hello Alan, I did not mean a strap completely around the fitting, but just roughly a U shape fitted over the housing from the roof side, so that the opening of the U corresponded to where the awning comes out, if you see what I mean.

Brian B.

ps It maybe worth checking with Fiamma , they may have a fitting that will do that.

Ours popped during horrendous crosswinds on a spanish motorway,If I could of I would have pulled over it was that bad.

I purchased our awning and the fixture kit from Agent Fiamma in July this year , it was confirmed that only two brackets were required.The 03 Ducato has a mounting point for a third bracket ,tho' I don't believe that they are sold singley.The label in the centre of the awning sugests that it is supported there during transport..

thebishbus - 2013-02-04 10:10 PM

Hello again Alan. I will try to attach a drawing to show you what I had in mind. The fixing maybe different and there are probably other ways of doing it but I think it just needs a little reinforcing to the top of the box to stop the wind lifting it.

Brian B.

I think that would work Brian; I was also wondering if some holes in the back of the casing might help; reducing the air pressure inside the casing. Just need a windtunnel to test it!

I've sent pics to Fiamma for their opinion, I'll post any reply I get

cheers

alan b

snowie - 2013-02-04 10:41 PM

thebishbus - 2013-02-04 10:10 PM

Hello again Alan. I will try to attach a drawing to show you what I had in mind. The fixing maybe different and there are probably other ways of doing it but I think it just needs a little reinforcing to the top of the box to stop the wind lifting it.

Brian B.

I think that would work Brian; I was also wondering if some holes in the back of the casing might help; reducing the air pressure inside the casing. Just need a windtunnel to test it!

I've sent pics to Fiamma for their opinion, I'll post any reply I get

cheers

alan b

Hi Alan

I would be worrying that if I drilled holes in my awning casing,like you are suggesting,might it not result with a fair bit of 'whistling' noise when travelling at speed. From an increasing of rigidity point of view could not a long piece of lightweight aluminium or such be pop riveted along the bottom edge lenghtways-[the edge that has lifted]. This seems a potentially low cost and quick fix or attempt.

cheers

derek

Just being nosey,as we don't have a F65....but just what do we reckon has caused this then?

..have they become unlatched(due to the wind) and then "buckled"..? or has the wind just got into them and "burst" the casings..? :-S

Also how "reachable" are these awnings,when standing in the sliding door opening?...would it be feasible to fit some sort of tidy(s/steel) over-centre latch?..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=over-centre+latch&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=over-centre+latch&sc=1-17&sp=-1&sk=

(..just as long as any fixings did not protrude too far into the housing and damage the awning fabric..)

Maybe a bit belt'n'braces I suppose...and certainly not something that should need to be done on items costing this amount of money! :-S

snowie - 2013-02-03 1:28 PM

Fiamma F65s; Do I offer it to Bulletguy; or do I get it repaired??

Too big for my van Snowie but even if it wasn't somehow I think i'd have to decline! :D

Good luck in the repairing but out of interest how did your Insurance company respond? From what i've heard they won't cover them.

thebishbus - 2013-02-07 4:13 PM

Here is third alternative Alan, You could fit as many of these as required .

Brian B.

We should start a consultancy Brian! that option came into my mind also; maybe even on the inside of the casing? depends how much clearance there is.

I've looked at my insurance, and I've an excess of £200, so I'll pass on that one.

Still waiting for a response from Fiamma UK, so we'll see.

Of course; it may never happen to us again,

Cheers,

alan b

pepe63 - 2013-02-06 1:39 PM

Just being nosey,as we don't have a F65....but just what do we reckon has caused this then?

..have they become unlatched(due to the wind) and then "buckled"..? or has the wind just got into them and "burst" the casings..? :-S

Also how "reachable" are these awnings,when standing in the sliding door opening?...would it be feasible to fit some sort of tidy(s/steel) over-centre latch?..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=over-centre+latch&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=over-centre+latch&sc=1-17&sp=-1&sk=

(..just as long as any fixings did not protrude too far into the housing and damage the awning fabric..)

Maybe a bit belt'n'braces I suppose...and certainly not something that should need to be done on items costing this amount of money! :-S

Sorry for delayed response;

In my case I think it was probably only a very small gap that was openened up because I generally wind it in very tight, then back of a smidge, to reduce the strain on the winding mechanism. This coupled with maybe 60mph crosswinds and something had to give way. I don't think the casing burst, as it's fully attached on the other edge, and not creased, just "popped up"

Mine's only accessible over 1/3 of its length, from inside the slider, as I discovered when trying to apply Gaffa-Tape and cable ties before we drove home. A latch would be a bit of a bind I think, and it couldn't be in the centre, can't reach it that far back.

I think it's a design defect, the edge is too long, and can't easily be restrained, but Brian's got it sussed I think! They're not cheap to buy, so I agree, it shouldn't happen, but I suppose there are limits.

cheers

alan b

I have just spotted this forum.

I had the identical problem in France during some very unsociable weather. Temporarily I was able to 'thump' it back into place by reaching throuhg the Heki.

The good news is that it is a known problem with Fiamma and they have a kit to fix it consisting of two clips that fit over the awning cover. My (wonderful) Morello was quickly sorted at no cost to myself.

Rgds, Bob

wurry - 2013-02-07 5:01 PM

I have just spotted this forum.

The good news is that it is a known problem with Fiamma and they have a kit to fix it consisting of two clips that fit over the awning cover. My (wonderful) Morello was quickly sorted at no cost to myself.

Rgds, Bob

In that case welcome Bob; must be nice to be the bearer of good tidings!

I'm pretty sure I'm out of any warranty, and not registered with Fiamma for date of purchase by "converter", but if there's a kit; could be sorted!

cheers

alan b

wurry - 2013-02-07 5:01 PMI have just spotted this forum.I had the identical problem in France during some very unsociable weather. Temporarily I was able to 'thump' it back into place by reaching throuhg the Heki.The good news is that it is a known problem with Fiamma and they have a kit to fix it consisting of two clips that fit over the awning cover. My (wonderful) Morello was quickly sorted at no cost to myself.Rgds, Bob

Details of where and how to obtain this fixing kit pleeeaaase!?
thanks
Steve

Archived