Is 23 watts high consumption for a TV

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Still looking at new TV for camper/bedroom..Most have terrible sound going by reviews, but I have found an LG one that seems not to bad. Power consumption is 23 watts...is that high?

budget around £200 must have USB, not worried re DVD fulll HD freeview would be nice, but cant see any... dont really feel like spending circa £400 on an Avetex as my camping days may not be for much longer...

23 watts at 12 Volt is about 2 amp so that's not bad. If its 23 watt at 240 Volt its still good.

And i have found LG service very good. We have a five year old 32" LG Tv which did not work properly after the Digital switchover, contacted LG they collected it repaired it (firmware update) and returned it FOC.

Guest JudgeMental

sorry its 19 inches. not many domestic TVs under that from major companies. that ones out now anyway as it wont fit in locker. max tad over 52 cm? wide Edit: it is 455 cm? so will fit

all these 19 inch ones tend to be LED these days it seems. I will be passing Tesco direct today and will have a look just wanted to check re power..we only stop on Aires now and again and not for days on end, and have managed with present 16 inch 230v TV via an inverter OK

Look for a 230V tv with an external power adapter, 230V to 12V. Then you can run it, without the adapter, off your van battery. Make sure it is those voltages though. Using an inverter is not as efficient, because it has inherent losses and I guess you want to save every watt you can. Sorry if you'be through this with your current tv but with inexpensive sets the viewing angle deteriorates, so you need to be sure your tv bracket has enough adjustment and you sit together (goes without saying I guess if you're in the bedroom.

Recently brought a Cello 19" Traveller TV, it's HD has built in Freeview & Freesat tuners, USB & DVD player, supplied with 12 & 240v leads, consumes 21 watts. I paid £170.

The angle of view is not as good as they claim but it's acceptable picture quality very good it's far better than the Camos it replaced. Don't know what the sound is like always run through the van surround sound system, you know how I like me sub woofer. :D

Guest JudgeMental

Trevor yes will make sure it tilts as I guess thats important as had not really considered it!

Lenny does you set have freeview HD

just back. Went to Tesco as near where I had to be. Then passing through Croydon on way home stopped at John Lewis/Currys/PC world as next to each other. they are set up so poorly in store its hard to tell to be honest, picture quality similar. sound poor on all... but one stood out a JL own brand. its £100 more then the others which are around £129 so going to investigate a but more.

one old AV forum thread said JL sets may be made by avetex but who knows....It was substantially heavier so maybe thats why it sounds better :-S

keep the sugestions coming! :D

Well it has HD on Freesat so I assume it is on Freeview as well, only ever used it in the van. On a 19" screen you are not really going to notice difference anyway.

They also own brand for M&S and Currys.

Don't want to put you off but they are British made!

lennyhb - 2013-02-06 5:53 PM

Well it has HD on Freesat so I assume it is on Freeview as well, only ever used it in the van. On a 19" screen you are not really going to notice difference anyway.

Has it got Freesat EPG or is it FTA? ones I've seen on t'internet seem to quote Freesat on main headline but then say FTA tuner in specs.

Guest 1footinthegrave

The sound is pretty crap on all of them,although I'm quite mutt and jeff, and the missus say's its fine, but we have ours with the headphone out socket into the van stereo that I fitted with an aux input on the front, as we have rear speakers in the back as well, and only about £40. We have a "Cello" make TV / dvd that came complete with 12 v dc to 12 v dc regulated power supply and it is very frugal with 12v being LED backlit and apart from the sound is excellent, and they are supposedly a UK company and when we had a problem with the first AC adapter that we used when on mains, a new one was in the post the next day free of charge.

Got ours from here,they were very good. and in your budget

http://www.tv-village.net/cello-12-volt-tvs-c-33.html

Guest JudgeMental
Hmm..I guess I could plug sound into the stereo as it has an aux input, so any one would do in that case....but that means trailing leads. The JL def a better sound so in a small van probably good enough, its discontinued now and can get the one in Croydon for £207 so might go for that....

brought a 15 and 19 inch LG from currys last year. The 15 inch is in camper bedroom end, and 19 in kitchen of house. Both have DVD and play/record on memory stick. Both were reconditioned and we bought a 3 year warranty for £23 each. We record onto memory sticks at home from kitchen tv and take away to use on aires. Tv works well on 12volts. Recording is not as straight forward as a digital box recorder and took a bit of getting used to because the instructions are poor, but It works well enough. There is no 12 volt lead provided as standard but it works happily from one of the multi plug conectors such as can be brought from Maplins. Our 12v supply comes through a regulated box so take power from this even when on a hookup. As you have said sound quality isnt brilliant but plenty loud enough to hear in a thunderstorm. Both tvs have worked really well with no problems. The camper one has not had much use but the one in the Kitchen is used on a daily basis. Both can be viewed at wide angles and are much better for sound quality and viewing angle than the previous tv which died in the camper after a year. Overall we consider these to be one of our better buys. Suggest looking on currys website from time to time for reconditioned ones. Stuart

colin - 2013-02-06 8:04 PM

Has it got Freesat EPG or is it FTA? ones I've seen on t'internet seem to quote Freesat on main headline but then say FTA tuner in specs.

According to the instructions it has 7 day EPG but I've not been able to get to display it.

lennyhb - 2013-02-07 1:20 PM

colin - 2013-02-06 8:04 PM

According to the instructions it has 7 day EPG but I've not been able to get to display it.

Just had a good hard look at the tech specs for the traveller range (might be interested in the 22" model to replace our 22" mains version) but, althought the Overview blurb says 'Digital and satellite reception (dish required)' and the Features blurb says 'the ability to watch satellite channels' their Tech Spec only lists DVD-T (Freeview) in the tuner section not DVB-T2 (Freeview HD) or DVB-S (satellite decoding).

Any TV or monitor can show satellite picures from an external decoder (as we do with our Sky+HD box) but to view without an external box, there needs to be an onboard DVB-S tuner. Also, there are no F-connector ports in the accompanying photos which are required to connect the cable from the dish.

There is also a lot myth about 'HD Ready' and 'Full HD' TVs.

Currently, only Blu-Ray discs require a set to be full HD in order to take full advantage of the quality of these recordings. Freeview HD, Freesat HD and Sky HD will all display as intended on an HD Ready TV. Watching the same source on a Full HD TV will show no difference as the requirement for accurate display of these sources is reached by the specification for HD Ready.

Very many users of HD Ready TVs think they are watching HD quality TV when they are watching Freeview, 'because it says HD on the TV'. I imagine many of these users would have a fit if they saw a decent picture.

Lenny, you must be right as you have one! The overview and headline page tech spec sections dont make it clear - in fact they omit this info.

You can, as you say, download the user manual / specifications pdf files and these do give more info but the pics dont match the photos in the gallery section which is very frustrating.

Not many would drill this deep unless the overview had ticked all the boxes.

I do think they are a good buy, i like the 12v power option (obviously) and the slim frame of the two larger models. The sat tuner not much use to me on long term tours as i prefer my SkyHD box but for weekends away I could use the TV tuner straight from my dish.

Like some of the others on here I have a Cello (from TV Village) and it has performed ok for about 2 years. The optional regulated12volt supply cable is worth having. The main downside with the set though (apart from the rubbish sound quality) is the viewing angle. You really have to be facing it square on to get a decent picture.

Having looked at an Avtex recently I was amazed at the difference but it is still hard to justify paying those prices.

Regards,

Tony

Its not bad especially if its a 19". I looked into this quite a bit last year when we replaced our old LCD telly. I got an Akura 16" from Makro. Its the lowest power you can get at 14 watts or 1.2 amps. It does make a big difference if your off hookup as much as we are. Its more than big enough for the rear lounge. Picture is ok and sound is just adequate and hard to hear in a storm or torrential rain but they are all like that I think.

I have heard about people using external speakers or even wiring TVs through the van stereo system which is fine as long as they dont park within 100 yards of me!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2013-02-07 9:45 PM

Its not bad especially if its a 19". I looked into this quite a bit last year when we replaced our old LCD telly. I got an Akura 16" from Makro. Its the lowest power you can get at 14 watts or 1.2 amps. It does make a big difference if your off hookup as much as we are. Its more than big enough for the rear lounge. Picture is ok and sound is just adequate and hard to hear in a storm or torrential rain but they are all like that I think.

I have heard about people using external speakers or even wiring TVs through the van stereo system which is fine as long as they dont park within 100 yards of me!

Guilty as charged, but then we don't hear people clanging and banging around with their crockery or God knows what :D :D

Just kidding

Archived