Is 23 watts high consumption for a TV

Guest JudgeMental

Barryd999 - 2013-02-07 9:45 PM

I have heard about people using external speakers or even wiring TVs through the van stereo system which is fine as long as they dont park within 100 yards of me!

Yep mines wired to the vans surround sound system with sub woofer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

I bought a Samsung full HDTV for £170, got a 22 inch as it fits in van cupboard OK. Sorry but these LED TV's are not that great.(sound was OK).Fantastic in shop with DVD feed, but once you get it home impossible to get a decent picture. I have probably the best 50 inch tv ever made, the Pioneer Kuros and a 46 inch Panasonic (both plasma sets) so I know what a good picture looks like with good black levels...I could not get anything near a decent picture on this set. and it was best of the bunch in store.

Anyway took it back today so the search continues. May go for a Panasonic as some have full HD and a HD tuner. and will try and get a 19 inch one as more practical....

Eddie, as I said in my first post, it's all about the source quality.

Our cheap Tecknika set gives a wonderful picture when used to view Sky+HD via an HDMI cable.

The same set has a 'reasonable' internal Freeview tuner but this is rubbish by comparison.

Even a very expensive TV cannot turn a 'Freeview SD' source signal into a magnificent picture, it just cannot happen.

Yes, the TV in the shop showing Blu Ray will look good but bringing back to the van (or home) and watching an ordinary SD signal can only disappoint.

Invest in the source with either an internal or external HD satellite or Freeview HD signal.

A 'Full HD' set only required when viewing Blu Ray - any other source (Freeview HD, Sky HD) can be displayed correctly on an HD Ready set.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Chris.....Problem being you go shopping to see them in the flesh and compare, and the only shop that has a freeview TV aerial is John Lewis round my way.

I'm going to go for the new X5B Panasonic linked above from JL as you get the 5 year warranty. Gets great reviews except for the sound but will just do as others suggested and plug into sound system...its 19 inch full HD and HD freeview + USB so I can plug the portable hard drive in....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-02-16 4:34 PM

Thanks Chris.....Problem being you go shopping to see them in the flesh and compare, and the only shop that has a freeview TV aerial is John Lewis round my way.

I'm going to go for the new X5B Panasonic linked above from JL as you get the 5 year warranty. Gets great reviews except for the sound but will just do as others suggested and plug into sound system...its 19 inch full HD and HD freeview + USB so I can plug the portable hard drive in....

You may want to check the use of the USB port, as a lot of sets only allow you to record to a usb device normally a stick, and even that only the channel you are watching so a waste of space really, and just does not recognise a USB portable drive full stop,maybe because of insufficient power on the USB port if it is self powered, I have a drive that needs to be connected to two ports to get sufficient power, but only one on the TV, so again useless.

I'm also led to believe it's not quite such a walk in the park to just use any portable hard drive with a Panasonic, or to be able to read from it it, some useful info here Eddie.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1684911

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Mike not really worried about record just playback of pre recorded or downloaded material..nudge nudge,,,wink wink...I suggest you try your hard drive with just the one USB lead..as my son informed me the other weekend while back from Uni that you dont need the live feed....and he was right

the TV I returned today played all the movies/tv series perfectly via USB port. I cant imagine the Panasonic being any different?

We have two Panny's, one has a hard drive connected which is used for recording off the tv's tuner, the recordings can only be played back on the tv they where made on, BUT, we often make recordings on USB flash drives from pute or camcorder and play then on the tv, they do have to be made in correct format AVI

Guest 1footinthegrave
colin - 2013-02-16 10:44 PM

We have two Panny's, one has a hard drive connected which is used for recording off the tv's tuner, the recordings can only be played back on the tv they where made on, BUT, we often make recordings on USB flash drives from pute or camcorder and play then on the tv, they do have to be made in correct format AVI

AVI format only, I would have thought Divx or MP4 should be supported, so are you sure about that, but perhaps it's a case ot trial and error according to which TV supports what format, I'll look again at our TV. as I have a few movies in MP4 I can try which for a full length movie are around 800Mb each rather than around 4 gig each for the DVDs, if I can get the TV to see the USB drive that is, Thanks.

Archived