Beef Scandal

Dave225

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-02-10 4:30 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-10 2:31 PM

Mind you my old Commer van was a bit like 100% Beef when I sold it, all the tons of P38 instead of metal covered by a respray, ah happy days :D

If you still had it Mike it would probably be worth more than your current van :D

I would still have it now, the only reason I got rid , was because of a dodgy DPF, blocked CAT, ECU failure, and iffy ABS, :D

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-02-10 5:09 PM

pelmetman - 2013-02-10 4:30 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-10 2:31 PM

Mind you my old Commer van was a bit like 100% Beef when I sold it, all the tons of P38 instead of metal covered by a respray, ah happy days :D

If you still had it Mike it would probably be worth more than your current van :D

I would still have it now, the only reason I got rid , was because of a dodgy DPF, blocked CAT, ECU failure, and iffy ABS, :D

Now I know your joking ;-)..............as in 10 years the new ones will be obsolete :D........

When I was at school back in the 1960's a friends father used to convert these Commer vans into motorhomes and mini-buses. He would buy a number of them from the Post Office and convert them to order.

He had a beautiful one he did for himself in dark and light blue. On a couple of occasions I was invited to go with them on a Sunday and we went to Camber Sands I think.

Fantastic fun.

I used to love the way the front used to sort of float up and down on its suspension.

Great days - and Days that shaped my preferred holiday type for the rest of my life it seems.

Guest 1footinthegrave
CliveH - 2013-02-10 5:51 PM

When I was at school back in the 1960's a friends father used to convert these Commer vans into motorhomes and mini-buses. He would buy a number of them from the Post Office and convert them to order.

He had a beautiful one he did for himself in dark and light blue. On a couple of occasions I was invited to go with them on a Sunday and we went to Camber Sands I think.

Fantastic fun.

I used to love the way the front used to sort of float up and down on its suspension.

Great days - and Days that shaped my preferred holiday type for the rest of my life it seems.

BLIMEY, I can't believe it, they are still around. The video on this home page is well worth a look for a bit of nostalgia. Wish I had kept it now,and my Vauxhall Cresta :D

http://commervanfan.co.uk/

And Beef WAS Beef then as well :-D

They do look good. I remember those trips vividly - the best part was sitting round a table as we motored along - We had small "Trannies" - Transistor radios in case anyone was "wondering" !! with small earpiece so we could listen to Radio Caroline, Radio London etc.

No seat belts in those days of course so it was very odd to be able to move about a bit compared to sitting in my Dads Vauxhall Victor.

Now that was a nice car - three speed column change gearbox and a huge bench seat in the front and back.

Sadly it rusted as well as it looked. Still have my Pye Poppet Transistor Radio in a box in the roof.

Being Framed Colin?

Or "in the frame"

Seems to me the change from a Horse and Cart/plough agricultural system in countries like Romania created the glut of horses!

From Associated Press:- (paywalled so a cut and paste job)

"PARIS -- France's agriculture minister says complex trading between wholesalers makes it increasingly difficult to trace the origins of food like the horsemeat disguised as beef being sold in frozen lasagna around Europe.

Agriculture Minister Stephane Le Foll said the results of the investigation would be released on Wednesday, but he said it was already clear that Europe needs to find a way "out of the fog."

No one has reported health risks from the mislabeled meat, which came from a complex supply chain.

An initial French investigation determined that French company Poujol bought frozen meat from a Cypriot trader. That trader got it from a Dutch company that received the meat from Romanian slaughterhouses.

"There are people who are out there to defraud, who are looking to cheat," Le Foll said."

Guest 1footinthegrave

The resulting Regulation ((EC) No 882/2004) was devised. It provided a more comprehensive and integrated, risk-based, EU-wide, "farm to table" approach to official controls in the areas of feed, food, animal health and animal welfare. Regulation (EC) No 882/2004 aims to improve the consistency and effectiveness of official controls across the European Community.

Well that doesn't seem to work, mmmm,

I seem to recall some other EU legislation that closed most if not all the smaller UK abattoirs down due to spiralling costs imposed by that regulation, when you could once go directly to the farm and buy your meet, that went down the pan.

Sorry but yet another reason to quit this EU madness IMO :'(

I also hope UKIP give the main parties a bloody nose at Eastleigh :-D

CliveH - 2013-02-11 10:41 AM

Being Framed Colin?

Or "in the frame"

Seems to me the change from a Horse and Cart/plough agricultural system in countries like Romania created the glut of horses!

I'm not saying the Romainians arn't involved, esp with Findus, but in Ireland there appears to have been 10's of thousands of horses 'disapeared' which are not accounted for, many of these are imported from USA, and it's been going on for years, I suspect some one got sacked in Ireland and did a bit of whistle blowing

The Romanian President or Prime Minister said yesterday that his countries abattoirs had not done anything wrong and they were in the clear, this is after an investigation. So there,..... it's nothing to do with them, very quick and thorough I'd say.

That leaves France, Poland and Ireland as the culprits.

Dave

Ypu can't necessarily blame the romanians for this. Sure, they slaughtered horses for meat, but they then sold it on and I think it's further down the line that it suddenly became classed as beef and sold on for a nice fat profit for someone in holland/france/cyprus or ireland.

Where there's a market for anything there's a crime waiting to be perpetrated if the profits are big enough so this situation is no different.  In the end what will happen is we will have a load of enquiries  and 'lessons will be leaned'.....yea right!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-02-11 5:46 PM

The Romanian President or Prime Minister said yesterday that his countries abattoirs had not done anything wrong and they were in the clear, this is after an investigation. So there,..... it's nothing to do with them, very quick and thorough I'd say.

That leaves France, Poland and Ireland as the culprits.

Dave

Didn't Chris Huhme say he had done nothing wrong and he was in the clear :D :D :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-11 6:22 PM
nowtelse2do - 2013-02-11 5:46 PMThe Romanian President or Prime Minister said yesterday that his countries abattoirs had not done anything wrong and they were in the clear, this is after an investigation. So there,..... it's nothing to do with them, very quick and thorough I'd say.That leaves France, Poland and Ireland as the culprits. Dave
Didn't Chris Huhme say he had done nothing wrong and he was in the clear :D :D :D

At least with Huhne most people knew he was a 'horses arse'.....in the food chain unfortunately no one seems to know where the horses arse either came from or where it ended up....:-)

Guest pelmetman

Sod the smoke a mirrors >:-(

I reckon your all missing the point ;-).................the culprits are the "supermarkets" who consistently drive the price down for their financial benefit *-).............although they say its for the benefit of their customers (lol) (lol) (lol)..................

I don't think the people behind this scam will turn out to be Poles or Romanians or Irish or French.

I reckon they will just turn out to be crooks.

(We are just very fortunate that there are no English crooks, so it can't be anything going wrong in this country).

;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-11 11:18 AM

Sorry but yet another reason to quit this EU madness IMO

And it would now seem that once we have cut all our ties with the EU - we will also have to cut all our ties with Wales and Yorkshire.

:-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-02-12 9:24 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-11 11:18 AM

Sorry but yet another reason to quit this EU madness IMO

And it would now seem that once we have cut all our ties with the EU - we will also have to cut all our ties with Wales and Yorkshire.

:-D

yes it appears we are too late, they are already here and in business, moved on from the Big Issue. :D :D

Plenty more to come next year though >:-)

Guest pelmetman
myshell - 2013-02-13 3:13 PM

It had to come sooner or later, one of the big supermarkets offering it's customers a choice !

Better than throwing it away I suppose *-)

Archived