X/250 Scuttle water drainage.

Rayjsj

Hi,

I have a 2012 Fiat X/250 Autotrail, i have to park it on a fairly steep slope, and, because of the danger of reversing out onto a fairly busy road , i reverse it up the slope. This means that ALL of the roof water drains down over the windscreen into the 'trough' surrounding the Wipers, for a few weeks this was fine, then i noticed that the 'trough' was full of water, and overspilling into the engine bay, the wiper shafts were submerged too. I had a look and found only one,quite large drain pipe on the 'Drivers' side,

BUT it had a ' tube shaped' blue filter inserted into the rubber outlet pipe, This was blocked with leaves and debris, almost as if that was what it was designed to do ?? Anyway, cleared it, within two weeks it was blocked again. This time I removed the 'Filter' turned it upside down, so that it didn't fill with rubbish, then re-inserted it, so that the mesh part is flush with the top of the outlet. A month on, and the 'Trough' is still draining as it should. (we do get a lot of rain in Fishguard !).

As an aside, the 2012 model (euro5) X/250 six speed manual, reverses very well up the slope besides my house, and am very pleased with the 150 bhp engine, Even if it is a Fiat (never thought i'd ever own another one !!) but there isn't that much choice, is there ? Ray

Hi Ray

on mine it has no filter just an open tube about 1 inch dia, also if you look at the drivers side wiper where it fixes on there is another little tube 1/4 inch dia what can get blocked as well, there is also one at the passenger side, if these get blocked i use a wire to prod down and clear

jon

Probably stating the obvious...but unless they've changed things since we had our '07 Pug(which they may've done,with talk of "filters"),it is also worth just keeping an eye on the lower outlet of the drain hose/"outlet"( ..behind the inner wheel arch liner) because we found that great wads of leave and pine needles etc, would build up...

So a periodic blast down/through with a hose helped keep it clear.

My advice would be simple, park it the other way round so water drains off rear, and get some help reversing into road. I say this as the former owner of a Peugeot X250 and I never managed to get the engine bay 100% dry (despite efforts by Peugeot then myself) and that drained off rear and I had the long Taylor Made Cover. In fact even on site I always opted to drain off rear when possible. Its the nearside drain that can cause problems if it leaks as their are electrical components nearby. Its a pity as the overall driving experience was for me excellent especially compared to previous older engines, but something simple like a drain scuttle let it down.

silverback - 2013-02-09 3:23 PM

Hi Ray

on mine it has no filter just an open tube about 1 inch dia, also if you look at the drivers side wiper where it fixes on there is another little tube 1/4 inch dia what can get blocked as well, there is also one at the passenger side, if these get blocked i use a wire to prod down and clear

jon

Thanks for that info, i'll have a closer look for the small outlets, with a bit of wire. Ray

Although my own (gearbox) problems were on the earlier version - there seems to be a scuttle situation going on here too. I'm still not convinced that having a scuttle at all, is the way forward. Why not get rid of water right off the bottom of the windscreen and not route it inside the engine bay. I say Ban the Scuttle!

• 4 months later...

This is just very poor design even the latest models suffer water problems. (the overlap of the two part scuttle is lapped over against the natural flow rather than with it!.) Despite the plastic cover sufficient water gets in to create problems.

This winter during the snow our van suffered catastrophic engine failure. The snow had melted in the sun but the cold wind froze the water that had flowed down under the scuttle and over the engine. the problem came when trying to start the engine during this cold spell.

The water had flowed over the cam belt pulley and frozen! on starting the pulley turned and the ice lifted off the belt and it jumped four notches on the pulley before catching and started running very roughly.

Too late it was turned off. The damage? Head removed, 8 inlet valves, 8 exhaust valves, and 16 rockers. £2.5k to repair! Since then, I have removed the scuttle, which was found to be not sealing against the windscreen, and refitted with sealant as well as sealing the join between the two halves. Anything that protects that area from water is good news because the manufacturers efforts do not work.

I had our EGR fail because of water ingress on our AT Scout due to this very reason. Fiat replaced without quibble but I heard from the dealer that those with Peugeots may not be so lucky. The converter argues that it's down to Peugeot and Peugeot blame the converter saying the problem is caused by the large roof area channelling gallons of water down the windscreen onto the scuttle which it was not designed to cope with.

Archived