Cadac - how do you use yours?

Mel B

Cadac - how do you use yours?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Reading the 'Cadac or BBQ' thread, it got me thinking of who actually uses what parts of their Cadac kit, for example, lots of people call it a BBQ which to me is when using the open wire surface, but in fact they use it as a grill with the ribbed griddle plate, so I thought I'd do a poll to see what the result is.

Please ONLY tick the ONE item you use the most - not everything you have in you kit! 8-)

Can't really vote as I use them all equally (apart from the paella pan and roast pan as I don't have either of these). Impossible to say which one of the remaining features I use more than the others - it's that flexibility that makes the Cadac so useful to me. Mine's a Safari by the way.

We don't use any part any more than the others. Cook breakfast on the griddle, cook steaks on the BBQ mesh or brander, use the paella dish for stir frys and even use the saucpan mesh for heating up the large tea urn when we meet up with groups of friends. As others have said that is what makes it such a 'good bit of kit' it's so versatile.

So can't answer your survey I'm afraid!

Bas

JudgeMental - 2013-02-11 2:18 PM

I am surprised that most seem to use griddle instead of wire....

I'm not Eddie 8-) - that was what I suspected to be the case hence why I started this poll ... MOST people seem to be buying the Cadac to simply use just the griddle plate so it begs the question ... why have a Cadac at all when a cheap gas stove and a griddle plate or pan would do and as a bonus it's easier to store and clean? We came to this conclusion which is why we originally sold the Cadac Safari Chef we'd bought (and not used).

I just wonder how many people actually buy a Cadac as they think that's the only option for them, but then just use it like a stove with a griddle pan on ....

:-S

Guest JudgeMental
Snowie, Mel..well I like bbq'd food and if you dont allow the juices to fall on to a diffusser, and flare back up onto meat or fish or vegtables or whatever, you dont get the bbq taste or effect..The safari with grease trap is very controlable and find it a great device. but if not bbq'ing whats the point, we have a small heavy griddle we can use on hob if weather turns.....I dont get this to be honest,

JudgeMental - 2013-02-11 6:13 PM

Snowie, Mel..well I like bbq'd food and if you dont allow the juices to fall on to a diffusser, and flare back up onto meat or fish or vegtables or whatever, you dont get the bbq taste or effect..The safari with grease trap is very controlable and find it a great device. but if not bbq'ing whats the point, we have a small heavy griddle we can use on hob if weather turns.....I dont get this to be honest,

I like BBQ food too Eddie, we still have a portable BBQ if we want to use it which runs off the aerosol type cannisters (and yes we have space in the camper for it!), but it doubles up as a gas stove too - what we tend to do is use the griddle pan initially to get most of the fat out of the food then finish it off on the BBQ wire grid so we still get the flavour.

What I don't get is those people that just use the Cadac with the griddle plate as the taste just isn't the same as a BBQ, as you've mentioned. Some people buy a Cadac but then don't utilise it fully which is basically my point - so why buy it in the first place if all it is used as is a glorified stove with a pan on? *-)

Is it just a 'must have' thing/'status symbol' or ... dare I say it ... a pseudo 'male appendage extension'!!!! 8-) :$

We bought a cadac Carri Chef with all the bits (lol) first time we used the ribbed griddle and I cursed the amount of time it took to clean as grease dripped into the base >:-(

After taking advice we bought the Pealla pan (which covers the whole top) and that is all we now use. At malvern show last yr we cooked 420 rashers of bacon in an hour (lol) to feed the Funsters on Sun Morn.

Cleaning the Paella pan is so easy-cover bottom of pan with water,add a squirt of washing-up liquid,heat it up till grease lifts off-empty and wipe dry-Job done.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Just purchased yesterday a Cadac Safari Chef from Don Amotts place near Derby for £80, it was marked up at £89.95 but they did a deal as others are selling for about £80.

Looking forward to using it very soon. Up till now we have used a fold up BBQ from Asda that worked very well using wood picked up for free. Have seen many French/ Dutch & Germans using small gas bbq so got the Cadac, any tips please.

Early days for us, just got ours delivered off eBay £83 inc pizza/pitta bread stone.

Reading the reviews the only relatively common gripe I could find was cleaning.

We've used the grill mesh and the griddle thing. Griddle none stick so easy peasy, but the mesh and the thing underneath, well I've just left em soaking overnight in a washing up bowl under the van.

Bought some cheap and nasty scourers from a pound shop, (20 for a £1 since you ask), and just chuck it away after use.

Coming from a committed gas bbq man, I'm delighted with it.

Martyn

I have found the different attachments very suitable for a range of cooking, I do not like the burnt stripe effect that comes with the gridded pan so this side is not used but the other side is.

The wok is great.

The real joy is to cook outside so none of the cooking smells remain in the van plus it makes the neighbours jealous!

We now use the chef at home with a gas bottle for a quick outside meal, not the same taste as a real BBQ but quicker and easier to organise for two, giving time to enjoy a glass or two of wine/G&T etc.

Had our safari chef for 2 months and have never used the hob since, generally use flat griddle and cook breakfast and evening meal / bbq on it. One of the best things we have ever bought for camping / caravaning and seems to be very economical on gas. Use a plastic scraper and kitchen roll to wipe it whilst its still warm, job done re cleaning.

Dont like em ours went in the bin after one season waste of money couldnt use it with the slightest breeze ours set fire to the paint underneath and smelt awful and a pain to clean charcoal bbq much better thats what we use now or sometimes the gas bbq that came with the van

We're new users and have been using the wire grill. Good results but a bit of a pain to keep it clean afterwards!

Not sure we are going to keep it for motorhome use but as its so portable I used it at home last night to cook a paella - no special pan, just the wok.... came out OK :-)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/1926733_10152529373987908_4291831764096274304_n_zps28e66ecb.jpg

Archived