Hymer Sealant

hallii

I need to know what Korapop sealant type is used on my Hymer 522.

I changed one of my leisure batteries a couple of weeks back and to do so required the removal of the

panel in the wardrobe. I discovered a small amount of damp in the insulating foam.

It was quite a small amount and at first I thought it might be condensation, but after applying some Carafax under the plastic (PVC?) sealing strips in the area I guessed was at fault, the leak has gone.

This is a temporary fix, of course, so I will need to lift the strips and clean out and apply some more sealant, probably in the warm summer.

Has anyone done this job? Can the PVC strip be cleaned and re-used? Is new strip advised?

Is Korapop compatible with any other sealant?

My damp ingress warranty is out, I never had the inspections done, and that was my choice, I doubt the Hymer dealer at that time would have removed panels to check anyway.

I do have a damp meter, and a word of warning, it is useless where the construction is like that on my Hymer, there is much panelling and any damp behind the panels will not be detected, I am also advised that the acoustic damp meters are not much better in such situations, so the only sure way is to remove any panels and have a physical check. Fortunately this is not to difficult in my van, and I have spent a few days removing panels to make a proper inspection. All is now well.

So, a warning and some questions.

H

Guest JudgeMental

warm weather?.....where you going? :-D

you need a pro style paddle meter not domestic prong style. The pro ones show damp up to 20/30 mm or so....

JudgeMental - 2013-02-12 2:19 PM

warm weather?.....where you going? :-D

you need a pro style paddle meter not domestic prong style. The pro ones show damp up to 20/30 mm or so....

OK Judge, but do the paddle sort work into what is in effect a cavity that may (or may not) have foam insulation inside?

I have my doubts, they work well on semi solid walls etc, but maybe not as I have described?

I am happy to buy one but not if it won't do the job?

H

We had only had our Hymer Van 522 for about eight months when we met up with a British couple in Germany who had had their new Hymer Van 522 replaced because of damp behind the wardrobe. They had no idea that water was getting in until the smell of mould became so bad that it was investigated.

The following year, we found damp in our Hymer Van on the nearside opposite the wardrobe and, on investigation, decided it was getting in where the cab joins the coachbuilt body at the level of the top of the passenger door so we have resealed both sides at these points and it appears to have done the trick. The original sealant was very badly finished. We have our son check our vehicle for damp with his upmarket meter (he is a surveyor). So it is certainly not worth relying on Hymers being dampproof.

JandP - 2013-02-14 8:21 PM

We had only had our Hymer Van 522 for about eight months when we met up with a British couple in Germany who had had their new Hymer Van 522 replaced because of damp behind the wardrobe. They had no idea that water was getting in until the smell of mould became so bad that it was investigated.

The following year, we found damp in our Hymer Van on the nearside opposite the wardrobe and, on investigation, decided it was getting in where the cab joins the coachbuilt body at the level of the top of the passenger door so we have resealed both sides at these points and it appears to have done the trick. The original sealant was very badly finished. We have our son check our vehicle for damp with his upmarket meter (he is a surveyor). So it is certainly not worth relying on Hymers being dampproof.

Thanks for that, I suspect that mine is (was) in the same area, mine was behind the wardrobe and I think that the area where the pastic seals meet is a likely source, I won't know for sure until I pull the seals out and have a look.

All damp meter have their limits, and I am not sure that even the best can detect damp behind a panel in a cavity that also contains metal bracing parts, but then I am not sure how they actually work, is it aucoustic, capacitance, resonant frequency or what? The cheap meters work on resistance and are OK for surface damp and that's all.

H

Archived