Range cookers

Colin Leake

We've just been shopping for a new cooker. Finished up with a conventional electric job. Warming draw at the bottom, fan oven in the middle, small oven and grill at the top and a four ring ceramic hob. Does the two of us just fine and can also cope when the kids and grandchildren decend on us.

What struck us though was the number of huge range cookers on display. Same as when the house hunting shows are on where every kitchen seems to have a range cooker and most retired couples buying the homes put a large kitchen at the top of their list of wants and go all gooey when it turns out to have a massive range cooker, as it nearly always does.

So my questions are.

Who amongst you have a range cooker and if so do you ever make full use of it?

Does any of you who don't have a range cooker desperately want one, why and would you have room for it?

Why does a couple retiring to the country want or need a range cooker?

How many of you have kitchen big enough to accommodate a range cooker in place of a conventional cooker?

Don't even get me started on AGA cookers. I've had some very nice meals cooked on them but it owes more to the skill of the keen cooks than the cooker. An expensive con in my mind. Cooking is done by heat and I see no reason why the heat provided by an AGA should be any better than that provided by any other oven especialy a well designed fan assisted oven. In fact the lack accurate control on AGA cookers is simply a right pain in the arse even if a few years experience using them can make it possible to get round this.

Colin Leake - 2013-02-14 7:08 PM

We've just been shopping for a new cooker. Finished up with a conventional electric job. Warming draw at the bottom, fan oven in the middle, small oven and grill at the top and a four ring ceramic hob. Does the two of us just fine and can also cope when the kids and grandchildren decend on us.

What struck us though was the number of huge range cookers on display. Same as when the house hunting shows are on where every kitchen seems to have a range cooker and most retired couples buying the homes put a large kitchen at the top of their list of wants and go all gooey when it turns out to have a massive range cooker, as it nearly always does.

So my questions are.

NOT ME

Does any of you who don't have a range cooker desperately want one, why and would you have room for it?

DON'T WANT ONE BUT COULD EASILY ACCOMMODATE ONE.

BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE IT WILL IMPROVE THEIR LIVES ... BIT LIKE THOSE PEOPLE WHO 'MUST' HAVE AND OPEN FIRE ... USUALLY THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE AND DON'T KNOW WHAT A PAIN THEY CAN BE TO GET GOING/LOOK AFTER/CLEAN OUT ETC.

How many of you have kitchen big enough to accommodate a range cooker in place of a conventional cooker?

ANSWERED ABOVE - YES BUT DON'T WANT ONE.

Don't even get me started on AGA cookers. I've had some very nice meals cooked on them but it owes more to the skill of the keen cooks than the cooker. An expensive con in my mind. Cooking is done by heat and I see no reason why the heat provided by an AGA should be any better than that provided by any other oven especialy a well designed fan assisted oven. In fact the lack accurate control on AGA cookers is simply a right pain in the arse even if a few years experience using them can make it possible to get round this.

AGA COOKERS ARE A STATUS SYMBOL IMV, THE THOUGHT OF HAVING AN OVEN AVAILABLE AT ANY TIME APPEALS TO SOME, BUT THEY DON'T THINK ABOUT HOW TO KEEP IT READY TO USE IN THE FIRST PLACE ...

I suppose AGA’s always put a picture in your mind of large country kitchens with towels and Labrador dogs steaming away in front of one and jolly kids all helping smiling Mum make dinner. I am always amused when watching (when absolutely bored) those programmes where people are looking for a home in the country. They always tell the hosts the 5 bedroom house is nice but the kitchen is just.. too small, this is a kitchen where you need roller skates to get from one end to the other and if you filled all the cupboards you would need a guide book to remember which one contained the salt cellar.

Of course the majority of us have a home where the kitchen is invariably a smallish room and according to either spouse, is more than enough to keep clean. Plus once the kids have left home there is little need to prepare meals for the ‘5000’ anymore and sometimes it is the microwave that does all the needful.

Having looked at some of these devices in John Lewis i can only add, how do you keep it clean and no, I don’t have one or wish one.

Of the two kitchens, the old house has just enough room to squeeze in a conventional oven, and even then we use the main oven as storage. in the new house there is a conventional oven but with 30ft of work tops I'm sure we could fit a range in ;-)

We have and we do use it. My wife wouldn't have anything else.

Because we can afford it, we don't need it as we could cook on a primus stove. But why should we?.

We do and having looked at a lot of houses in our house hunting search, so do a lot of others.

As for people wanting a large kitchen, it is the modern idea that it is also a family room where you can eat informally and watch the telly as well. It's also good for mum to be able to have the kids in there doing their homework etc whilst she prepares the meal. It's also good for informal entertaining.

It's for a lot more than mere cooking these days. You have to keep up with the times, especially if you're planning on selling your house.

My Answers same as Mel B

Have room, but would NEVER have one. I find that as I have bad knees,and arthritis in hands that I NEED an eye level oven and grill

My DIL has a range cooker, and when we house sit, I have to manage with the little side oven, as I could not get down to the lower one, and if I could would still have problems lifting a roast from it.

What I would prefer is a CHEF to do all my meals!! Only cook , because we have to eat !

peter - 2013-02-14 7:53 PM

We have and we do use it. My wife wouldn't have anything else.

Because we can afford it, we don't need it as we could cook on a primus stove. But why should we?.

We do and having looked at a lot of houses in our house hunting search, so do a lot of others.

As for people wanting a large kitchen, it is the modern idea that it is also a family room where you can eat informally and watch the telly as well. It's also good for mum to be able to have the kids in there doing their homework etc whilst she prepares the meal. It's also good for informal entertaining.

It's for a lot more than mere cooking these days. You have to keep up with the times, especially if you're planning on selling your house.

To each their own, and well done if you are happy, however without inferring anything amiss I think your comment 'because we can afford it' sums it up. Unfortunately many of us cannot, and may not wish to. Up here in the cold north many people are downsizing as heating large houses has just become too expensive. Yes, i take the point about the kitchen being a 'social room' but living in 1 room does not appeal. My smallish flat is easy and cheap to heat all the rooms, and my wife is happy with less cleaning now we are retired. Of course maybe you have a maid......................?

Your post looks more like sour grapes to me. Plus the fact that you don't need to have a huge house to have a largish kitchen / family room. ;-)

We don't live in one room.

We don't have a maid.

You live in a flat out of choice.

We live in a house out of choice.

We have a range cooker because that is our choice.

I answered the O/Ps questions, so why the personal criticism?.

Tried them all.........Started with a belling 3 ring hob, grill and oven and graduated to a 90cm mini range with 5 gas hobs and a multi function single oven which TOH loved.

Now we have a Godin wood burning range and a split oven/hob in the summer kitchen and after 5 years of use the boss is in revolt and wants her old range back but will insist on keeping the Wood burner because the kitchen/diner stays toasty in the winter.

smallkitchen2.jpg.a49a478511622b09d42d583bf8298877.jpg

Dave225 - 2013-02-14 7:36 PM

I suppose AGA’s always put a picture in your mind of large country kitchens with towels and Labrador dogs steaming away in front of one and jolly kids all helping smiling Mum make dinner.

Boiled labrador? must be a big AGA! 8-) 8-)

To answer the OP we have a conventional Stoves gas hob & oven - I can't get on with electric cooking & I have no desire for a range.

Guest pelmetman

The best range cooker we ever had was a solid fuel Rayburn cooker, I absolutely loved it. It had two ovens and a long top plate. The warming oven at the bottom was great for rising dough. Not only did it heat the house but it dried the washing and yes the Labrador and cats were usually found asleep on the floor around it. About a skuttle full of coal each morning and night was all it needed.

We decided to buy ourselves a new electric range cooker for the summer months, (we used to do a lot of entertaining in those days), but the Rayburn was still my favourite. I only had the electric one for less than a year as we decided to move and our new house had everything fitted so sold it to our buyers.

SUE

knight of the road - 2013-02-14 8:01 PM

We have a big range cooker that is used to the max every day. but if I lived on my own I would eat out or use a butane camping stove or even a tapanyaki grill, then again I would live off grid to save the pennies.

The mind boggels. Unless you run a B&B. small hotel or a soup kitchen whatever do you cook to use a range cooker to the max every day and how many people are you cooking for?

We have a big range cooker that is used to the max every day. but if I lived on my own I would eat out or use a butane camping stove or even a tapanyaki grill, then again I would live off grid to save the pennies.

The mind boggels. Unless you run a B&B. small hotel or a soup kitchen whatever do you cook to use a range cooker to the max every day and how many people are you cooking for?

peter - 2013-02-14 8:33 PM

Your post looks more like sour grapes to me. Plus the fact that you don't need to have a huge house to have a largish kitchen / family room. ;-)

We don't live in one room.

We don't have a maid.

You live in a flat out of choice.

We live in a house out of choice.

We have a range cooker because that is our choice.

I answered the O/Ps questions, so why the personal criticism?.

Get a life, or a sense of humour.

I've got a very good life, thank you.

I've also got a very good sense of humour.

Point out to me the part of your previous post that is meant to be funny and I will have a chuckle over it.

Colin Leake - 2013-02-15 4:11 PM

Colin,

I forgot to mention that my wife, daughter and mother in law run their own catering business, supplying two local factories, it is a council approved operation with regular unannounced health and safety visits to check the standards and fridge/ freezer temperatures, ok?

knight of the road - 2013-02-15 8:29 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-02-15 4:11 PM

Colin,

I forgot to mention that my wife, daughter and mother in law run their own catering business, supplying two local factories, it is a council approved operation with regular unannounced health and safety visits to check the standards and fridge/ freezer temperatures, ok?

Fair enough your excused then. Or to put it another way, you,don't count. Your an irrelevance as far as them original question.

Sorry, nothing personal.

Simples !!

Our range cooker has two ovens. Strangely enough a large oven for large cookings and small oven for small cookings.

Using a small oven is cheaper to run for 70% of the cooking, the other 30% requires either the big oven or both ovens. Nearly enough at Christmas when we overflow into the Rayburn.

Having 5 burners neatly covers two ovens, otherwise the cooker would look ridiculous.

OK the wok burner is a luxury, but gets more use than the other rings.

Rgds

:D

peter - 2013-02-15 8:00 PM

I've got a very good life, thank you.

I've also got a very good sense of humour.

Point out to me the part of your previous post that is meant to be funny and I will have a chuckle over it.

The mention of a maid. I was kinda hoping the reply would be along the lines of 'the maids are doing fine, especially the downstairs parlourmaid who I think needs a bit of talking to in the Butler's pantry' and by the way the name of my house is Blandings etc etc. But you took it all as a big personal insult and then accused me of 'sour grapes' just because I do not have a very big cooker or big house. My wife informed me that at her elder age the last thing she wanted was more cleaning. I did have a big house but sold it 20 years ago as we decided we wished to travel more and a flat was easier to lock and leave, and cheaper to run, but I do know that very many people in the UK do not have the choice. A cursory glance at John Lewis suggests range cookers cost in the region of £1800 -£5000 not what you might call normal when you can get a perfectly good cooker for a few hundred pounds. With another attempt at humour I will add 'just how do you cook your horsemeat on a range cooker'?? Do you cook it with legs on, or off??

I'll side with you Dave,

I was drawn to this post just by the heading, I thought this is bound to be a funny, pointless one.

I wonder if the original poster had regretted his purchase of a 'normal' cooker and was seeking some reassurance?

All these blokes getting 'steamed up' over cookers was amusing and when it got nasty I thought just how pointless it was me ever coming to these forums unless I was seeking some constructive information.

Getting back to the horse meat - I'd sooner eat that than the mechanically extracted stuff you get in a wholesome flabby hotdog - I've eaten dog by the way [inadvertantly] whilst in Korea.

I do the whole carcass on Sunday, and knock up a curry with the rest on Monday, whilst the head I tend to microwave for the mother-in-laws soup and shes never complained once.

Lets start a thread on the merits of Microwaves - I could do with something to help me sleep :->

No regrest cost does not come into the running for us. The reason we were buying a new cooker was part of having a very expensive new kitchen fitted which also had to include having much of the house rewired and a new consumer unit fitted plus a new tiled floor and new lighting which involved a new ceiling. Infact given the cost of the cooker my lady wife choose specifying a range cooker with a gas hob (all electric ones need two or three 45amp cooker circuits) would have not added much to the bill.

Most of the time when we are at home there is only they two of us with the occasional meal for six with our daughter who lives in the same village. Occasionally one of our sons will come for the weekend with two grand children in tow. The standard size cooker copes with this just fine. Most of the time because we are retired and the boys work long hours we visit them for a few days at a time.

Christmas presents a bit more of a challenge as we have the only house big enough to accommodate the whole family with 14 of use sitting down to eat. We cope by my daughter cooking all the meats in her cooker and bringing them round and we cook the rest of the food in our cooker with ease. We used to set the home made pud to steam in the motorhome but now we've got a big steamer which we set going on the Cadac in my workshop which connected to the house kitchen. I suppose for that day a range cooker would get used but its only one day a year.

Archived