French Radar Warning Signs Coming Back?

Patricia

The following is taken from The Connexion weekly news bulletin:

"ROAD safety authorities have urged the government to press ahead with plans to make breathalysers compulsory in vehicles - but they say a fine is not necessary.The Conseil National de la Sécurité Routière also recommended bringing back warning signs announcing the presence of speed cameras. They were dug up last year, but a number remain in place, alongside new "radars pédagogiques" which display a vehicle's speed but do not issue fines. "

So our Government is not the only one to make U-turns!

PJay - 2013-02-16 11:19 AM

Hi Patrica

It looks as if you are still in France. What have you heard re carry Breatherlysers? Do we need some for our trip in April. or not?

PJay

No still in the UK unfortunately! My French neighbours seem totally unfazed by the whole suggestion and, as far as I know, none of them have bought the breathalyzers. However, not too much worry if no fines but if you drink. or someone else does in your unit, it could be wise to buy one - that is if they are available!! I bought two and they will be out of date in under a year.

I receive this update every week from the publication The Connexion. I subscribe to the paper (my latest edition is waiting for me in France) but I am sure anyone can receive the email update. Just go to the website: http://www.connexionfrance.com - top righthand corner.

Regarding speed-cameras, my understanding (from French websites) is that the CNSR is recommending that roadside warnings of French fixed speed-cameras be standardised.

At present there's a mixture of cameras without warning boards, cameras with warning boards and cameras with preceding 'speed-readout' warning signals. The CNSR recommends that all fixed speed-cameras have warning boards (which was the historical arrangement) and that speed-readout camera warnings be phased out. Apparently the cost of installing a warning board is around €2300, against €6500 for a speed-readout signal.

When the Sarkozy government was in office, the plan (which I assume is still going ahead) was to install 400 extra speed-cameras throughout France. The intention was that these new speed-cameras would have no preparatory roadside warnings and details of their locations would not be passed to road-map makers.

As I understand it, it was also suggested that Departements remove roadside warning boards from existing speed-camera sites. This has happened (at least in part) as, when I was driving in France last year, some camera sites that I knew had had warning boards no longer did.

As you rightly say, if there is a warning board there will definitely be a fixed speed-camera further down the road. However, it's not the case that all French fixed speed-cameras have warning boards.

Archived