Son of Juddergate? Gripping Yarn!

campervanista

Some progress! :-D Since last posting I have gone back to the Fiat agent and they have been very helpful, and I got to speak to the guy who worked on the vehicle. To recap the juddering was just as the clutch engaged and was felt throughout the van as the wheels began to turn and at no other time (1st gear only). It was a low frequency vibration and occured also when creeping fwd on tickover.

The technician said that the procedure with the engine mountings had in his opinion improved matters but the fault was still present. He suggested I accept the van back to see if things improved more with use. I saw the logic of this and agreed to do so. Following the kind advice from Mr Brian Kirby I have done a few hill starts as well and get the impression that the problem is perhaps diminishing. It appears more prominent now when moving fwd on tickover than when one moves off with a few revs in the normal way.When the weather improves I will test it on a long trip and report further.

The two clutch changes were using the full Fiat 'kit' with thrust bearing et al, by the way, rather a waste of time as suspected, but he who pays the piper....

I did also write to the dealer putting them in the picture and letting them know that as things stood the van was not fit for use and any redress would be through them. They have in fact done their utmost in respect of all the many defects that were present when we took delivery and have developed since on the conversion. Chapeau to them. I have nothing but praise and it is a shame they had to sort so many things out. I would say that quality control at the factory was very poor and the van should not have left Yorkshire with so many faults. They are too numerous to mention, but if anyone is interested I will be happy to list them.

Regards, CV

Some progress! :-D Since last posting I have gone back to the Fiat agent and they have been very helpful, and I got to speak to the guy who worked on the vehicle. To recap the juddering was just as the clutch engaged and was felt throughout the van as the wheels began to turn and at no other time (1st gear only). It was a low frequency vibration and occured also when creeping fwd on tickover.

The technician said that the procedure with the engine mountings had in his opinion improved matters but the fault was still present. He suggested I accept the van back to see if things improved more with use. I saw the logic of this and agreed to do so. Following the kind advice from Mr Brian Kirby I have done a few hill starts as well and get the impression that the problem is perhaps diminishing. It appears more prominent now when moving fwd on tickover than when one moves off with a few revs in the normal way.When the weather improves I will test it on a long trip and report further.

The two clutch changes were using the full Fiat 'kit' with thrust bearing et al, by the way, rather a waste of time as suspected, but he who pays the piper....

I did also write to the dealer putting them in the picture and letting them know that as things stood the van was not fit for use and any redress would be through them. They have in fact done their utmost in respect of all the many defects that were present when we took delivery and have developed since on the conversion. Chapeau to them. I have nothing but praise and it is a shame they had to sort so many things out. I would say that quality control at the factory was very poor and the van should not have left Yorkshire with so many faults. They are too numerous to mention, but if anyone is interested I will be happy to list them.

Regards, CV

Archived