O2 mobile phone charges on Brittany Ferries - Warning

Matrix Meanderer

Having endured a rock and roll crossing across the the Bay of Biscay on Brittany Ferries recently insult was added to injury when I received my O2 mobile phone bill.

I use the O2 Travel tariff which (even with the new reduced download allowance) is pretty reasonable at £1.99 per day for what was 25Mb and will shortly be 15Mb of data.

Whilst on the boat I did not use the very expensive ship WiFi but accessed my emails by phone. Having used the phone throughout Spain/Portugal I was expecting the normal £1.99 per day charge for this part of the journey as well.

However I was charged £40 to download 6.7Mb of data in two short internet sessions :-(

Examining the bill showed that I had been charged for accessing the internet through a ship link via Iceland - amazing.

When I eventually found how to speak to a human being at O2 (Dial 202) - I challenged the cost - successfully and now have a full refund of this extraordinary charge. Thanks O2.

So a word of warning for all those due to use the Portsmouth to Santandar/Bilbao Brittany Ferry - CHECK you bill or better still don't use the O2 Travel service when on board.

At that rate is would actually be cheaper to use the very costly ship WiFi which I think was £8 for two hours.

According to the newsletter I received today BF will introduce free WIFI from May. Text is here:

Free Wi-Fi Onboard

We are pleased to announce that from May all of our passenger ships will have complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas onboard. This represents a huge investment by Brittany Ferries as our connection is supplied via satellite, but by listening to our customers we feel that it is imperative that we continue to offer the best possible service, both in terms of comfort and technological demands. We are in the process of upgrading all of our satellite technology onboard our fleet.

Mike88 - 2013-02-26 10:18 PM

According to the newsletter I received today BF will introduce free WIFI from May. Text is here:

Free Wi-Fi Onboard

We are pleased to announce that from May all of our passenger ships will have complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas onboard. This represents a huge investment by Brittany Ferries as our connection is supplied via satellite, but by listening to our customers we feel that it is imperative that we continue to offer the best possible service, both in terms of comfort and technological demands. We are in the process of upgrading all of our satellite technology onboard our fleet.

Interesting and welcome development by BF. However the cynic in me thinks that they had so little takers at the price they were charging, having previously installed the kit in their ships, they have decided to make it available FOC. I suspect their customer feedback was all critical of the high charges (lol).

Still - good news for the future.

Archived