Servicing costs

Mickydripin

Hi all, I think I saw this not too long ago but can not find it so can anyone answer this question?.

I have rung my local Fiat garage to book my vehical in for a service and they gave me a price of

£385.

It is the second service and my vehicle has done around three and a half thousand miles.

When I questioned the price they said that they would give me five 5% off which is still around £360

It is a 2011 fiat 2.3 do you think the price is OK or over the top.

Mike

Are you sure it needs a service at all ? Ther has been some discussion about servicing schedules on another site for motorhomes I have never paid anything like that and I have done 45000 miles.

I think that the vehicle has to be serviced every year to satisfy Fiat so that it does not invalidate the warranty weather it is serviced by a Fiat dealer or another approved garage but I think it must have genuine fiat parts.

Mike

Mickydripin - 2013-02-27 2:27 PM

Hi all, I think I saw this not too long ago but can not find it so can anyone answer this question?.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think the thread you want is "service cost" currently on page 4 of this forum. (The initial query was about Peugeots but there are comments relating to Fiats.) I hope this helps.

That's a rip off Mike.

Try your local independant and make sure they use all manufacturers parts and oil with receipts etc and your warranty is safe.

The oil and filter need changing each year, the brakes need inspecting and maybe a rolling road test as they tend to corrode on low mileage vehicles. tyres will be checked and so will lots of smaller items like windscreen wipers, screen wash, bulbs, and so on. I think a good inependant should do the lot for about £250. Oil and filter (s) come to about £60 -£70 if using fully synthetic oil (the best).

My VW car had full dealer service for the first three years, on the fourth year I did it myself, I was annoyed to find that the oil filter had never been changed nor the air filter, in fact the only item changed was the engine oil.

Expensive oil that, £220 for an oil change! I think I will do my own from now on.

H

Thanks everyone for your posts I have now decided to go back to Geoff Cox in derby and he has quoted me £249 with all fiat parts.

He did the warrenty work for me last year that my dealer would not do He would also have done the habitation service for an extra £99 but I had that done before christmas so I am sticking with him now.

Mike.

Guest pelmetman
The joys of owning a old ford camper........cheap servicing........cheap parts B-)..............never paid much more than a 100 quid for a full service ;-).............since I stopped using main dealers :D

Hi my ten year old 35000 milePeugeot Boxer 2.8hdi is booked in for an M.O.T. and service next week. As I am not too sure about its service history it will have a cambelt change with tensioners and alternator drive belt fitted, the garage are on about changing brake and cooling fluids as well . Is ther anything else I should have done?

Regards David.

scramblers - 2013-03-01 5:06 PM

Just booked mine into the BT garage in Birmingham.

£208.99 full service and MOT.

Try your local BT (yes the telephone people) garage, they can handle any size vehicle

My van (2012) is based on Ford Transit-- If BT do service does the warranty still hold??

K9GYN - 2013-03-07 9:45 AM

Try your local BT (yes the telephone people) garage, they can handle any size vehicle

My van (2012) is based on Ford Transit-- If BT do service does the warranty still hold??

I believe it does, most warranties only specify a vat registered garage - to stop you from doing it yourself. But you can always check with Ford or BT.

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2013-03-01 5:39 PM

The joys of owning a old ford camper........cheap servicing........cheap parts B-)..............never paid much more than a 100 quid for a full service ;-).............since I stopped using main dealers :D

Just get a cement mixer for all the filler you'll need. (lol) (lol)

scramblers - 2013-03-07 2:36 PM

K9GYN - 2013-03-07 9:45 AM

I believe it does, most warranties only specify a vat registered garage - to stop you from doing it yourself. But you can always check with Ford or BT.

So long as it is done at a VAT registered garage in accordance with Ford's requirements and uses genuine Ford parts/materials, it should still protect your warranty.

rudders - 2013-02-27 7:33 PM

ask to have a low mileage service done at the fiat dealer which i did on two occasions and would cost half of what you have been quoted and still validates any warranty remaining hope this helps.

Whilst I was at the Fiat garage today getting the 'bumpety-bump' sorted out on my van, I enquired about the servicing requirements and was told:

1) the requirement by Fiat is for a full service to be carried out before it reaches it's 2nd 'birthday' (ie registration day)

2) it was recommended, however, that a 'lubricants' service was carried out on it's 1st 'birthday', the cost of this being around £179 ... apparently the oil they use costs £100!!!!! 8-)

Can I just correct an oft repeated misunderstanding, to maintain a manufacturers warranty (base vehicle) a service needs to be carried out in accordance with the manufacturers time/mileage requirements by a VAT registered garage and using OEM quality parts. That is to say the parts used do not have to be Fiat, Ford, Peugeot, Mazda or any other motor manufacturers branded parts but parts from a known and reputable supplier to the same quality standard as those of the manufacturer.

D.

davidmac - 2013-03-06 9:15 PM

Hi my ten year old 35000 milePeugeot Boxer 2.8hdi is booked in for an M.O.T. and service next week. As I am not too sure about its service history it will have a cambelt change with tensioners and alternator drive belt fitted, the garage are on about changing brake and cooling fluids as well . Is ther anything else I should have done?

Regards David.

Maybe the water pump replaced if the pump is driven by the cam belt. Maybe your m/h was built before this "feature" of design got passed onto the consumer.

Rgds

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2013-03-07 7:53 PM

apparently the oil they use costs £100!!!!! 8-)

You can get a service done for less than that Mel :D.........including the oil (lol) (lol)

2) it was recommended, however, that a 'lubricants' service was carried out on it's 1st 'birthday', the cost of this being around £179 ... apparently the oil they use costs £100!!!!! 8-)

Liquid Gold? (lol)

My independent charges £20+vat for fully synthetic for my van.

lennyhb - 2013-03-08 11:20 AM

Liquid Gold? (lol)

My independent charges £20+vat for fully synthetic for my van.

Yes, I didn't say I thought it was a reasonable charge as I too thought the chap was taking the 'proverbial' about the cost of the oil ... we'll also be using our 'independent' garage who is just round the corner. :-D

Dave Newell - 2013-03-07 9:06 PM

Can I just correct an oft repeated misunderstanding, to maintain a manufacturers warranty (base vehicle) a service needs to be carried out in accordance with the manufacturers time/mileage requirements by a VAT registered garage and using OEM quality parts. That is to say the parts used do not have to be Fiat, Ford, Peugeot, Mazda or any other motor manufacturers branded parts but parts from a known and reputable supplier to the same quality standard as those of the manufacturer.

D.

Thanks for the info Dave. :->

Be careful with the oil that is used though, Euro5 vehicles will require a "low ash" oil or it will cause problems with the DPF. From memory the low SAPS 5w40 fully synthetic oil used in Sprinters for example is about £9+ per litre, the big Sprinter engine takes 11 litres of this liquid gold! Ducatos are generally around 6-7 litres but not all will require this grade of oil. Before you condemn the garage for the cost of the oil check out what spec is required and then check how much it costs.

D.

Archived