Which Aires Guide(s) - Your thoughts

deckboy

Hi

I'm sure there lots of threads covering this, but here goes anyway.

We are new to campervan touring (or, will be in July/August) although we have travelled in France, Spain and Portugal in our little Eriba caravan since retiral a few years ago. We think the campervan will give us more versatility and scope to do a bit more adventurous discovering.

Our "bible" when caravanning has been the ACSI CampingCard guide and a bit of internet when WiFi was available, and we'll continue to use it, but along with guides to the Aires etc available to campervans (but not caravans!) across Europe. We still want to stay on sites for a few days or more, but explore small villages, France Passion style places etc.

So, which guides? We will stick with the ASCI, but which of the many other guides available to buy? We'll accumulate guides as we progress and become more adventurous each year, but my thinking is towards the Dutch Camperstop Europe as it seems to cover most of Europe that we are interested in to begin with.

BUT, what are YOUR thoughts?

If you want a book that's 'pan European', the Camperstops one is probably your best bet, particularly as it has linked POI downloads available.

Otherwise the campingcar-infos website (which you are probably familiiar with) covers France most comprehensively and has sections for other countries. For example, currently 441 entries relate to 'aires' in Spain and 287 to 'aires' in Portugal.

Now you have succumbed to the luxury of motorhome / campervan travels your next port of call will be www.vicariousbooks.co.uk and get a copy of the English puplication of French Aires with map the latest being the 4th edition this guide along with the ASCI book should be all you will need for stopovers in France . http://www.flickr.com/photos/langhorns/1589506392/groups/ this site may also be of interest .

JudgeMental - 2013-02-28 9:27 AM

If you have a sat nav you can download all the sites and aires you could possibility need for free

From: http://home.arcor.de/telbus/womo-sp/ReadMe-1st_engl.html

It's fair to point out that these lists (which we have been using for years) are not always 100% accurate, as you will discover when using them (but neither are the paid-for guide books either).

A sat nav can tell you where they are, or were when the list was compiled, and it can take you there but it can't tell you what they are, the facilities, the cost both of parking and of services, the immediate surrounds, noise levels, risks if any, etc etc.

For that you need a book, and preferably a well proven book, and as has been mentioned Camperstop and The Aires books from Vicarious are about as good and reliable as they get.

They all have sat nav lat and long to take you near enough to find it if not to the exact spot but this has more to do with signal corruption than inaccuracy and we have never failed to find an Aire (unless it has gone!) even if the location specified is not spot on.

There are cheaper guides mainly not in English, and lots of downloads for which you need a computer or tablet or phone and often an interenet connection but as with most things you get what you pay for and for us it isn't about the cost of a book or two it's about the convenience of finding reliable Aires where we choose to be.

Guest JudgeMental
The Aires files on my sat nav have all the information I need to know for an overnight stop. All the info regards facilities pop up in abbreviated form.

I agree with PJay. The "Guide Officiel" which you can buy in French garages and supermarkets is not only a lot cheaper but more extensive and, in my experience, a lot more accurate than the Vicarious publications. The downside is that it is in French but it is largely pictoral and so very easy to follow.

If you have access to the internet, the best source of all is another French site - www.campingcar-infos.com which is the most extensive and most up-to-date of all (it is continuously updated) as well as being free.

We have been travelling around France, Spain and Portugal (because the French publications/site cover most of Europe, not just France) using only these two sources for over ten years and never had a problem.

Happy travels.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-28 10:17 AM

The Aires files on my sat nav have all the information I need to know for an overnight stop. All the info regards facilities pop up in abbreviated form.

That's good - I didn't know that as I still prefer to thumb through a book - how accurate and up to date are they!

PJay - 2013-02-28 10:04 AM

I personaly find the books you can buy in the French Supermarkets, there are several, are better than he Vicarious one. They are in French, but easy to understand They seem to be kept ,more up to date

PJay

Completely agree - not sure how "All The Aires" can have fewer listed than the French guides - should it be called "Most of the Aires" or "All The Aires We Recommend"?> ;-)

John 47 - 2013-02-28 10:22 AM

I agree with PJay. The "Guide Officiel" which you can buy in French garages and supermarkets is not only a lot cheaper but more extensive and, in my experience, a lot more accurate than the Vicarious publications. The downside is that it is in French but it is largely pictoral and so very easy to follow.

If you have access to the internet, the best source of all is another French site - www.campingcar-infos.com which is the most extensive and most up-to-date of all (it is continuously updated) as well as being free.

We have been travelling around France, Spain and Portugal (because the French publications/site cover most of Europe, not just France) using only these two sources for over ten years and never had a problem.

Happy travels.

It's perhaps worth adding that the campingcar-infos data (except for maps) are available (for a fee) on a USB device or to download:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/USB.php

The "Guide Officiel" is described here:

http://www.campingfrance.com/Guides-et-Magazines/Guides/Guide-Officiel-des-aires-de-services-camping-car

It's what I use myself.

It's perhaps worth adding that the campingcar-infos data (except for maps) are available (for a fee) on a USB device or to download:

The "Guide Officiel" is described here:

http://www.campingfrance.com/Guides-et-Magazines/Guides/Guide-Officiel-des-aires-de-services-camping-car

It's what I use myself.

I would support this - this download also gives pictures so when working offline you can get an idea of what you are heading for.

I generally download an updated version every 3rd year - they are ok for 2 years but do go out of date.

Peter

John 47 - 2013-02-28 10:22 AM

It's what I use myself.

This looks like a great idea.

I've emailed them to ask if the USB stick is compatible with Mac computers, but maybe someone in here can answer.

Hi

it works on my Macbook OS 5.8.

I am also dual booted with XP and store a backup copy on my mini hard disk so i can access whichever programme i am using.

I usually just buy and download although it is a big file and it takes its time.

Good luck

Peter

peterjl - 2013-02-28 3:38 PM

Hi

I am also dual booted with XP and store a backup copy on my mini hard disk so i can access whichever programme i am using.

I usually just buy and download although it is a big file and it takes its time.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks.

I notice the direct download is an .exe file. I take it you open that with XP and not the Mac

:$ :$

Didn't read the tutorial properly!

The .zip file is for Linux and Mac

*-)

deckboy - 2013-02-28 3:47 PM

peterjl - 2013-02-28 3:38 PM

Hi

Good luck

Peter

Thanks.

I notice the direct download is an .exe file. I take it you open that with XP and not the Mac

:$ :$

Didn't read the tutorial properly!

The .zip file is for Linux and Mac

*-)

Done it (lol)

On the laptop and copied to a CD

Thanks

Solwaybuggier - 2013-02-28 10:28 AM

PJay - 2013-02-28 10:04 AM

I personaly find the books you can buy in the French Supermarkets, there are several, are better than he Vicarious one. They are in French, but easy to understand They seem to be kept ,more up to date

PJay

Completely agree - not sure how "All The Aires" can have fewer listed than the French guides - should it be called "Most of the Aires" or "All The Aires We Recommend"?> ;-)

Some 5 years ago I said something similar on the following forum thread. You'll note Don Madge's response of 10 May 2008 1:39 PM

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/French-Aire-de-Service-book-2008/11753/#M116602

It really boils down to how one chooses to define an 'aire'. The French guides include details of places where a motorhome can be 'serviced' irrespective of place-type and these 'aires' include campsites with motorhome servicing facilities. From Don's comment it would seem that a stricter definition is used by Vicarious Books.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-28 10:47 AM.........................The "Guide Officiel" is described here:

It's what I use myself.

I'd second this as well. We make only occasional use of aires, so I'm not claiming relevant experience, but the Guide Officiel is published by Editions Lariviere, who also publish Le Monde du Camping-Car, a magazine to which I subscribe. It appears 10 times per year and every edition carries a piece entitled "les actualites des aires de services". Typically, this will list 8 - 12 items on new aires, closed aires, and refurbished aires. These are submitted by French motorhomers, as well as a group of regional consultants who use the aires on their patch extensively, and report back directly to the mag on their findings/discoveries.

They also now have GPS coordinates, though being French they invariably quote degrees, minutes and seconds, instead of degrees and decimal degrees! Plus ca change, eh? :-)

It is from these submissions that the Guide Officiel is compiled so, in practical terms, it is about as up to date as any printed publication can be. It also underlines the fact that aires are not that permanent, and the whole system is in a state of perpetual slow flux. At the last count, there were about 3,100 aires of varying kinds, so any individual trying to keep up to date with the changes would be very hard pressed indeed. The 2013 edition is now in newsagents and supermarket periodical sections, price €9.90. However, even this guide requires regular revision throughout the year, which the magazine provides by its regular articles and occasional update booklets.

This is one of the reasons it pays to arrive at previously un-visited aires relatively early in the day. If it has closed, you still have the time to get to another! :-D

Hi,

LIke many folk, we have copies of Camperstop, Vicarious and various French Aires Books. The first two have their uses they are not as comprehensive as the latter.

By far and away the most useful guide, however, is that available via the campingcar-infos website. To date we have merely downloaded and printed off the type of stopover that we prefer from the French site (if we want specific info on any of them we will also either print off recent comments before we leave or check them out online en-route). Campingcar-infos has proved so useful to us in the past, that we will probably buy the complete USB /download before our next trip.

Cheers

Archived