12 volt fridge

hymer1942

There are several, the one I have experience of is a WAECO and it worked very well. It would freeze but only just, more of a cold box really.

It has a compressor and is quite heavy on the battery, but nowhere near as heavy as the non compressor types, they draw 10-12 amps and drain a battery in no time.

Of course, may ordinary camper fridges will run on 12v bujt will soon flatten a battery.

H

Alternatives to the WAECO products are advertised here

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/#C39i

A significant benefit of 12v compressor fridges is that (unlike gas/230v/12v 3-way appliances) they require no ventilation to the outside air. This can be a big plus for panel-van conversions as no holes need be cut in the vehicle's metal bodywork and there are no ventilation-grilles to spoil the exterir look.

hymer1942 - 2013-02-28 3:39 PM

Hi all is it possible to buy a fridge/freeser that works only on 12 volt. and is it a sucess Thanks Barrie

Hi Barrie;

We have a Waeco Coolmatic CR50 (or 65), that replaced the 3-way Dometic RM4213.which suffered from "installation issues"

We are very happy with it, and we can now have ice-cubes and keep a pack of frozen veg or lollies in there.

We fitted a second leisure battery, because we wanted to be able to be without hook-up for a couple of days, to take advantage of France Passion sites and the occasional aire. We save gas too.

We do find that the fridge compressor kicks in a few times during the night, but this doesn't usually disturb us.

Our charger failed due to "installation issues", mainly condensation dripping onto a circuitboard, and we took the opportunity to fit one that we can switch off overnight, so we don't have the dual problem of a charger kicking in at night.

It's perfect for our layout, as the fridge is located on the centreline of the van, under the bed, so ventilation to outside is not an issue.

The compressor fridge maintains a viable temperature far better than the 3-way it replaced, in fact on gas the old one was useless.

I've attached a plan that will explain the layout, but I would specify a compressor fridge whatever the layout.

regards

alan b

318330763_walrus2013b.jpg.68ccd4022634dda46575e41d4328e854.jpg

If you have no gas then the compressor fridge and lots of battery is the way to go.

BUT

If you have gas the 3 way 12v, mains gas fridge wins hands down because you can carry so much more energy in a single 6 kg gas bottle, in fact its contains the same amount of energy as 63 X 110 AH batteries.

C.

Clive - 2013-03-02 4:34 PM

If you have no gas then the compressor fridge and lots of battery is the way to go.

BUT

If you have gas the 3 way 12v, mains gas fridge wins hands down because you can carry so much more energy in a single 6 kg gas bottle, in fact it contains the same amount of energy as 63 X 110 AH batteries.

C.

That is an invaluable piece of information Clive. So, as a very simple rule of thumb, 1kg of gas is worth approximately 1000Ah of battery power. Truly, the engineer speaks! Oh yea! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-03-02 7:08 PM

Clive - 2013-03-02 4:34 PM

BUT

If you have gas the 3 way 12v, mains gas fridge wins hands down because you can carry so much more energy in a single 6 kg gas bottle, in fact it contains the same amount of energy as 63 X 110 AH batteries.

C.

That is an invaluable piece of information Clive. So, as a very simple rule of thumb, 1kg of gas is worth approximately 1000Ah of battery power. Truly, the engineer speaks! Oh yea! :-D

.....well.......to be pedantic it all depends on how much useable capacity you can get out of your installed battery capacity.

At a propane "energy density" of 12.9kWh per kg, a 6kg bottle of propane will deliver 77.4kWh.

At a nominal 12.7v, 63 110AH batteries contain 88kWh, but, if one assumes the regularly used 50% factor for use without recharging before causing damage to the batteries, then things look different. (and as Mr Fish has posted above, considering the equation in anything but a "static" situation makes it even more meaningless than it might already be considered)

In fact the 12.9kWh from a kg of propane is probably more equivalent to 2000Ah of installed battery power in useable energy terms. (though I'm not really sure where that leaves us ;-) )

Lots of battery and maximum solar panels will work when its sunny. Take our mate Dave with his 300 AH of battery in his Tranny at a show. I have the picture of him being jump started as ALL of his batteries were flat, 300 AH leisure plus starter because he knocked his indicator stalk on thus putting on the parking lights for 5 days. Not sure how much warm beer he put in the fridge but the sun hid the entire weekend.

But a 6kg bottle of Propane is worth LOTS of batteries, whichever way you calculate it. Even if a compressor fridge is more efficient than an absorbtion type.

Oh yes YES YES

C.

Clive - 2013-03-03 5:37 PM

Lots of battery and maximum solar panels will work when its sunny. Take our mate Dave with his 300 AH of battery in his Tranny at a show. I have the picture of him being jump started as ALL of his batteries were flat, 300 AH leisure plus starter because he knocked his indicator stalk on thus putting on the parking lights for 5 days. Not sure how much warm beer he put in the fridge but the sun hid the entire weekend.

C.

Clive - you simply CANNOT say something like that and NOT let us see the evidence ... we want photos - NOW!!!!! 8-)

Pretty please! :D :D :D :D

crinklystarfish - 2013-03-03 8:35 AM

But every time I drive anywhere my alternator replenishes battery power, and for anyone who hooks-up the same invariably happens via on-board chargers. If you have a decent solar panel then - well, you get the idea.

None of these on-board systems replenish lpg.

No, but you don't have to have your heating on overnight when it's really cold outside to keep the fridge 'warm'!!! So having an all 'electric' fridge could still mean you need to use gas or diesel! *-)

See my thread below about the limitations of the Waeco fridge freezer when using it in cold weather:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Limitations-of-Waeco-CR80-fridge-freezer-electric-/30501/

Mel B - 2013-03-03 10:55 PM

But every time I drive anywhere my alternator replenishes battery power, and for anyone who hooks-up the same invariably happens via on-board chargers. If you have a decent solar panel then - well, you get the idea.

No, but you don't have to have your heating on overnight when it's really cold outside to keep the fridge 'warm'!!! So having an all 'electric' fridge could still mean you need to use gas or diesel! *-)

See my thread below about the limitations of the Waeco fridge freezer when using it in cold weather:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Limitations-of-Waeco-CR80-fridge-freezer-electric-/30501/

But what is so terrible about having the heating on overnight when the weather is really cold?

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-03-04 4:09 PM

Mel B - 2013-03-03 10:55 PM

But what is so terrible about having the heating on overnight when the weather is really cold?

D.

Nothing wrong with having the heating on Dave, but it should be because you want it on, not because you need it on to keep your fridge happy!

It is on because I want it on, I don't like being cold and uncomfortable which I would be without the heating being on. I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to put the heating on a lower setting overnight when its very cold? Somebody please enlighten me.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-03-04 7:23 PM

It is on because I want it on, I don't like being cold and uncomfortable which I would be without the heating being on. I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to put the heating on a lower setting overnight when its very cold? Somebody please enlighten me.

D.

We don't have it on because we don't feel the need to ... we have nice warm duvets and the dogs snuggle under their blankets ... so why should we have the heating on when it isn't necessary/we don't want to? In the name of the great film you appear to fall into the category ... "Some like it hot" ... where as we do not - simple as that.

Regardless though, I'd draw the line at having it on purely for the flipping fridge ... I wonder if I should go into the business of making fridge duvets!!!! 8-) :D

Pelmetman ... you keep your snout off my idea ... I thought of it first! :->

Archived