Electric steps

Coachman

Went to go out for spin on Sunday and step would not retract, pushed down switch and it went down 3/4 of way and stopped. As Wife has to use step she had to step on to it and it went down fully with a thump.Now although motor is making a whine the step does not move either way its just loose. Booked it in but they cannot do it until 23/3. As its a Mobilvetta Driver 52 I do not think they will be able to replace it (03reg). Do you think that a Omnistep motor would fit if they cannot repair one fitted.

Hi

It doesn't sound like the motor if that is still running.

It is likely the Mobilvetta used a standard electric step from a company such as Omnistep. If you have a look underneath at the step it will probably tell you make and model.

I,had a similar problem some years ago and had to buy a new step which just fitted straight in, but not cheap. Also do not play with it or try to repair without first taking the fuses out, those steps are like guillotines!

If you decide to buy a new one its worth phoning around to get a good price.

Good luck

Peter

Some Mobilvettas use their own step which when closed forms part of the side skirt and hinges down to form the step. They are notorious for wear in the gear teeth and step bearings (I use the term very loosely as in reality it is a round bar in a hole in a steel plate). On a 10 year old Moby this sounds about right. A decent repair can be made with a bit of mechanical aptituder and a welder.

D.

I believe the steps on Mobilvetta motorhomes were usually "Project 2000" products.

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/project_2000_steps.htm

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pdf/Project_2000_%20Steps_2011.pdf

There are plenty of on-line reports of problems with this make of step but, as long as the electric motor is OK, it should (as Dave advises) be possible to repair a damaged drive mechanism. If there were a problem with the motor itself, I doubt that it would be a practicable proposition to fit a motor from an Omnistep instead.

Having just googled it I can confirm the step is as I described, i.e. it folds down out of the side skirt (something of a trademark design for mobilvetta). It is not an Omnistep or a Project 2000 or any other brand of step it is Mobilvetta's own design. Basically utilisng a motor similarr to a wiper motor or window winder motor but with the output shaft carrying a gear that meshes with another attached to the step. The problem will almost certainly be wear in the hinges (I just can't call them bearings) and possibly on the gear teeth too as they're only mild steel. Sometimes its a single step, other times its a dual but the basic design is the same.

D.

Archived