Driveaway awning...advice please

Craftsman

Hi all

I am considering buying a driveaway awning for my CB, which is 2.64m high and 2.42m wide. (A Bailey).

The door height is 2.3m, (this is above the awning light).

I have searched extensively for an awning that will fit height wise but all of these seem to be 3m in depth, (some are even more especially when you add on the tunnel), and I am concerned that this may make the footprint of my MH and awning too large for some campsites. ( I am a member of both main UK clubs and I am aware that pitch sizes are 9m x 5m unless you go to a jumbo size pitch). I haven't travelled abroad yet although this is now planned for July this year.

I have two queries;

1) Does anyone know of a narrower awning, around 2m deep or thereabouts that would fit my CB and keep the footprint within 5m wide, and

2) What impact is a 3m+ deep awning likely to have on campsites in France/ Spain and further afield in Europe?

If push comes to shove I'll just have to pay the extra for a jumbo pitch when camping in the UK, but as I envisage most holidays will be abroad my main concern relates to pitch sizes in France etc.

Just to add a little more info, as I know many of you may ask why I need an awning at all, we have a small dog and I wanted somewhere to put her if she is a bit muddy etc ouside and not in my lovely new 'van. Plus when the weather is good, some shade for me.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Pitch sizes vary abroad but generally we find them bigger than either of the clubs, and neither are they so regimented in how you pitch *-)

Hi suggest that you look at Towsure they have a product Part number CRN 290, this is a Vango Kela Airway 290 Airbeam Awning - Tall . There is also a larger version.

These awnings have been tested for up to 70kph winds so it you go to spain in the windy season the you should be ok.

It is essentially a pump up awning, that is it does not have any poles. U-Tube has video's to show how it works. Also other places supply this item - Amazon search springs to mind.

They are however expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Me I am probably going to go for one because my Riversway Mobil 300 was ruined by a hail storm in Spain late last year.

Hope it points you in the right direction --- Mike

Craftsman - 2013-03-07 11:58 AM

...Just to add a little more info, as I know many of you may ask why I need an awning at all, we have a small dog and I wanted somewhere to put her if she is a bit muddy etc ouside and not in my lovely new 'van. Plus when the weather is good, some shade for me.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sorry if I'm going over the obvious...but does it have to be an awning?..could you not use a stand alone dayroom/utility type tent? (..this type of thing:

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=5481 )

For occasional use,we use one of these.. .

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-pop-up-shelter-living-area-green-id_8208602.html ..along with a tarp canopy..

..although the Quechua doesn't pack away very small,so you aren't going to tuck it away in an underbed locker (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Really depends on style of travel if you will even ever use an awning much anyway, most get bought, used a couple of times and end up in the garage and on ebay a few year later...Touring you are unlikely to use one., touring in the summer you would not want the hassle either. most of us are fair weather campers and live outside using the roll out awning. and if weather poor you wil be inside anyway

awnings OK if your idea is to just head somewhere and stay like a caravanner. But most of us cant be assed to be honest with the extra weight and hassle...My suggestion, a pop up tent for the dog :D

Guest pelmetman
Agree with some of the above comments ;-) ............our drive away only gets used if on site for a minimum of a week or preferably a month................when traveling light we use the Fiamma wind out and wind/sunblockers......and for Troy we have two windbreaks which make a useful dog garden..........and often we use all three at the same time :D...........but not on a club site as the wardens would have a fit (lol) (lol)

P1000494web.jpg.fd6de5e98f22e0742c5d7a84e5a02aa4.jpg

The Outdoor Revolution Movelite Midi is shallower than the more usual Movelite XL drive-away awning and would fit up to a height of 2.4m on the side of your van (whether this is sufficient to enable you to open your door I don't know though!

I suppose the first question to ask is - do you drive your MH off site regularly, or does it stay in situ whilst you use other means of transport?

If you go off site regularly, then a drive-away / free-standing awning would seem to meet your needs.

If you leave it on site most of the time then use:

EITHER: a 'caravan' type awning which attaches to the side of your van (as its 'rear' support)

OR: a roll out awning (fixed to your van already) and put some sides on it, either 'safari' room ones or wind blockers ones.

Hi suggest that you look at Towsure they have a product Part number CRN 290, this is a Vango Kela Airway 290 Airbeam Awning - Tall . There is also a larger version.

These awnings have been tested for up to 70kph winds so it you go to spain in the windy season the you should be ok.

It is essentially a pump up awning, that is it does not have any poles. U-Tube has video's to show how it works. Also other places supply this item - Amazon search springs to mind.

They are however expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Me I am probably going to go for one because my Riversway Mobil 300 was ruined by a hail storm in Spain late last year.

Hope it points you in the right direction --- Mike

Thanks to you all. As always good straight talking advice....which I absolutely love about this forum.

Never thought about most of the suggestions posted, and as I intend/ anticipate not staying in one place too long I can see why most dont bother.

All advice much appreciated!

Guest pelmetman
Just for info this is our light weight set up for when we're touring, and only takes 15 to 20 minutes to set up and is ideal for the dog ;-)

DSCN2109web.jpg.1d9f490080fc2fde316a5052a6755599.jpg

DSCN2111web.jpg.ed3866f5612d913ec5fd4852f27c64bd.jpg

Archived