Swivel seats and MOT's

terry140

Hi, we have been motorhomers for a few years but now need a smaller motorhome so we are having a van converted. I want to fit a swivel seat base to the passenger seat but have been told there may be a future problem. We have ben told that swivel bases will need to have a TUV certificate in the near futuere and all older swivel bases will have to be replaced. Does anyone know if this is correct (?)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Terry.

It MAY be the case that seat-swivels fitted to Type-Approved motorhomes need to have been CE/TUV certificated for the vehicle to meet Type Approval regulations. However, there's no realistic expectation that a) needing to provide a (hypothetical) CE/TUV cerificate for a seat-swivel will be necessary for the UK MOT test, or b) that seat-swivels fitted to older motorhomes will need to be replaced.

In your case, if you plan to fit a new seat-swivel to your motorhome, it would be wise to ensure that it is certificated as being crash-tested and approved. This is not because of some future regulation twaddle, but simply because such seat-swivels will be well engineered and strong.

There's little doubt that some swivels fitted to motorhomes back in the 1990s were iffy regarding the strength of fixing that held the top and bottom 'halves' together and (as you really don't want the seat to separate from its base in a heavy accident) if you plan to fit a secondhand swivel, make sure its design is sturdy.

Thank you for your replys. I have fitted crash tested swivels as it is a no brainer, especially as it costs a small amount extra. I heard it from a swivel seat salesman >:-) Needless to say I brought my swivels from another dealer.

Archived