Ducato Diesel spillage

snowie

Hi to all you Ducato owners,

Back from trip to The Peak District; fuel gauge warning light on as we were 8 miles from home, didn't stop to fill tank.

Parked outside house, to unload, and it was sleeting heavily.

Finished unloading 20mins, and went to move van. Large pool of fuel tainted water around van. I realise that this could be no more than an eggcupful of diesel, but obviously not happy.

Parked on drive, over a tarpaulin under tank and engine area, no sign of spillage at moment.

Haven't taken fuel cap off to check vacuum yet.

I'm wondering if there's a tank vent issue? that is caused by low fuel level.

Anybody had similar or can give a diagnosis?

Thanks,

alan b

Van is 08 Ducato.

Hi alan

Some years ago we had something similar happen to our 2003 2.8JTD Ducato ( in Spain ).

Fuel leak when the engine was running but stopped when parked.

Ours turned out to be a split in the plastic base of a fuel / water seperator ( can't remember exactly what the gadget was called now )

It was situated in the engine compartment just behind the dashboard on the passengers side. The garage that fixed it had to remove the air cleaner to get to it.

The fact that yours didn't leak when parked seems to indicate that it's only leaking under pressure.

Might be worth checking that your fuel lines are not chafing / rubbing against anything, causing a leak ?

Best of luck with it - at least you are not away in some far corner of the continent !

Hi,

I had to replace one of the black plastic fuel lines to the right hand side of the engine, I think they run together either 2 or 3 of them side by side from the filter area at the back of the engine compartment across at high level above the gear box but under some of the larger hoses around to the front of the engine.

It had been chaffiing against one of the brackets and only leaked when the engine was running, it was quiet difficult to find as it was a very small leak in quiet a hidden position, I only found it by running my hand along the pipes and feeling the wetness

Hope that helps, and I hope you get it sorted out quick, what with the price of Diesel

Fiat 2.8JTD 2004/5

malc d - 2013-03-18 11:14 AM

Hi alan

Some years ago we had something similar happen to our 2003 2.8JTD Ducato ( in Spain ).

Fuel leak when the engine was running but stopped when parked.

Ours turned out to be a split in the plastic base of a fuel / water seperator ( can't remember exactly what the gadget was called now )

It was situated in the engine compartment just behind the dashboard on the passengers side. The garage that fixed it had to remove the air cleaner to get to it.

The fact that yours didn't leak when parked seems to indicate that it's only leaking under pressure.

Might be worth checking that your fuel lines are not chafing / rubbing against anything, causing a leak ?

Best of luck with it - at least you are not away in some far corner of the continent !

The name of that gadget is the diesel fuel filter.

Airstream - 2013-03-18 12:25 PM

Hi,

Long thread on MHF several x250's with the same problem - found to be leaking fuel filter - worth a look

Regards Ray

Thanks guys, had it round to garage and it's the fuel filter seal; it would seem, whether it's because seal wasn't changed at last service is unclear but it's not any of the pipework. Part is on order and should be sorted in a day or two,

thanks again

alan b

malc d - 2013-03-18 10:14 AM

Hi alan

Had a look at my repair records and the plastic bit that failed ( split ) was a " sensor" which was fitted to the base of the fuel filter.

Anyway, good to hear you are sorted - and it doesn't sound too expensive !

;-)

Archived