Caravan Salon Dusseldorf

prima

lennyhb - 2014-03-26 3:08 PM

We have brought a van both times we have been.

No one in mainland Europe will take a RHD in part ex. If you buy in Germany you have to have German 3rd party insurance & export plates which your dealer will arrange. Alternatively if you don't want to risk it on 3rd party insurance dealer may drive it to the port for a fee or you could get it transported door to door for about £1500.

We buy in Belgium and dealer drives it to the port for us (no charge), you can only get UK insurance on a VIN plate once the van is on UK soil.

You will need to change the speedo dial easy done with a Lockwood overlay dial, rear fog lights must conform may need changing if buy an A Class headlights are usually Heller projector units which is a case of moving a lever to change to straight dipping.

Thanks for the info, Lenny. The process does seem to be reasonably painless - I suppose it does depend to some extent on the dealer, 'though.

I assume there's nothing more to pay (regarding VAT/import duties etc.) once back in the UK?

Doe the dealer provide the European Certificate of Conformity? How do you go about getting the Garage Evidence?

Finally I guess you do this because it's cheaper - I hope that's the case! Our main interest in doing this would be to have access to models that are not available in the UK.

whatsupdoc - 2014-03-27 2:22 PM

I assume there's nothing more to pay (regarding VAT/import duties etc.) once back in the UK?

You have to pay UK VAT before you can register it.

Doe the dealer provide the European Certificate of Conformity?

Yes

How do you go about getting the Garage Evidence?

Any MOT station of garage should be able to do it, best to go to one used to dealing with Motorhomes, perhaps the one you have been using fot MOT's & servicing for your current van.

Link to Mutual Recognition info

Finally I guess you do this because it's cheaper - I hope that's the case! Our main interest in doing this would be to have access to models that are not available in the UK.

Well that makes at least 10,000 reasons.

Guest JudgeMental

order DVLA import pack, it has all the forms

choose the right dealer:

send him the speedo direct from Lockwood

get him to source and fit RHD headlights and take your LHD into stock ( I got 200€ back)

get them to move foglight.

Get dealer to fit export plates along with 3rd party insurance. arrange UK insurance to cover full com once you hit the UK. safeguard good as they issue a 30 day cover note, not all do...

once back,

contact HMRC and pay VAT, can be done online..you will need dealers VAT number at hand for this.

go to local MOT station for check on: headlight/speedo/ foglight compliance

get them to write a letter on their business headed paper ( must be a proper business) confirming compliance..the forms downloadable from VCA website explain how it has to be written (should charge no mere than £30 or else go elsewhere) . I tried 2 before I found a reasonable one, all done on phone before I went for van.

send COC and all the forms etc..to VCA with a £100 fee (this is new and a rip) they send back a certificate which you send to swansea DVLA along with ALL original paperwork.

then you will get V5 and paperwork plus tax disc back.

I have been to Dusseldorf 3 times and have found it better to make contact as show, but then play dealers of against each other afterwards (its a busy show!)..this way you can really squeeze a deal out of them...

on a van you should save 10K on a CB considerably more....

Archived