Scuttlegate - The Sequel

Guest Peter James

My Skoda car has a rubber seal at the top of its windscreen and down the windscreen's sides, but I'm not sure if my Transit Mk 6 has.

On-line browsing indicates (as you've found by looking at cars/vans) that a rubber 'seal' is commonplace on vehicles with bonded windscreens. I believe it has no waterproofing function, but it improves the appearance and should (at least on a car) minimise wind noise.

On-line received wisdom appears to be that the seal is (or should be) attached to the windscreen before this is bonded to the vehicle. I don't think this is to form a 'spacer', just that it often won't be possible to fit the seal satisfactorily once the windscreen is in place.

Guest Peter James
colin - 2013-03-23 3:27 PM

yep, as i thought, a stroll down perranporth high street and every car and van has a 'seal', some on edge of glass some like x2/50 under glass, at a guess it is used to control the 'stand off' of glass and give correct thickness of bonding.

Be careful. I strolled down a street in St Ives looking in car windows to see if they had parking permits - also to look at their tax discs as I was trying to make sense of the different costs of road tax at the time. A guy came out and demanded to know what I was doing. Unfortunately he had an unpleasant manner about it, so my immediate reaction was 'whats it got to do with you what I'm doing, go forth and multiply' He disappeared and a few minutes later the police were there with blues and twos. I discovered he had called the police because he thought I was looking to break into cars :$

Thanks for the info though. Maybe the silicone might work,and it won't matter if it eats into the 'rubber' seal if it isn't doing anything :-)

Looking suspecious walking down the high street of perranporth just means I fit in with the locals.

Couple of the vehicles had 'outside' seals down the sides and 'under' seals at top. Which leads me to believe the 'outer' 'seals' might be cosmetic, but the 'under' 'seals' are for spacing, need to collar a windscreen fitter to get a definative answer.

• 6 months later...
Guest Peter James
Well, the Bathroom silicone still seems to be working at the moment, no trace of any more leaks, so am hoping for the best. :-S

I happen to think that your ' Silicone Bodge' looks pretty neat and 'tidy like' (as we say in Wales). just carry it on right around to make it look 'neater'. When you come to get the job done properly (just before they arrive) peel it all off, as has been said, it won't stick 'permanently' and should come off easily. Anything is better than getting water flooding in. Ray

Many years ago my old car had a similar problem so I used clear silicone sealant under the rubber seal around the front window.

This stopped the ingress of water and after a couple of months I noticed that the rainwater on the screen di not spread but remained as blobs and ran of leaving a clear screen.

What had occurred was the silicon had leached from the sealant and had coated the screen, this had the effect of keeping the screen clear on the unswept part of the screen.

Since then there have been commercial products providing the same effect, but clear bathroom sealant is a lot cheaper.

So you may find an unexpected benefit this winter!

• 2 months later...
Guest Peter James

Well the windscreen leak repair seems to have held, the horn works ok, but the airbag warning light keeps coming on (an MOT fail I think?) I suspect another bad connection inside the steering wheel.

My problem is I can't see how to get the horn button cover off to see inside, and clean the airbag electrical connections.

I notice two small holes in the steering wheel under the airbag, presumably must be there for a purpose, but I don't know what. They are too small to see inside.

Would appreciate any ideas. (?)

Guest Peter James
hallii - 2013-12-19 12:14 PM

Be careful messing with the airbag, they are explosive and you need to follow procedure like disconnecting the battery or pulling a specific fuse.

I don't know how your comes off though, small nuts under the wheel?

H

Thanks for rhe reply.

Looking at the wiring diagram, to trigger the airbag you need 2 things;

1) A signal from the seat sensor detecting weight on the seat

2) A signal from the inertia sensor at the front detecting a very sharp deceleration

So you can't set the airbag off by just disconnecting and recopnnecting the connections, because you wouldn't get the required signal from the inertia sensor.

But it still doesn't give you a clue how to get inside the steering wheel centre where the horn switch and airbag connections are. I have poked a screwdriver inside the holes and there just seems to be an open cavity (?)

Archived