Carrying bikes on a new Swift Sundance 584PR

dutchwoman

Help! We are getting a new Swift Sundance 584PR and want to carry 2 bikes (not electric). The back of this van is one moldelled panel and the usual Fiamma one would have to cover the rear window. Can anyone recommend a towball/towbar model? I have added a link to show the back panel. Weight could be an issue as our payload will be tight. Thanks

http://www.toddsmotorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes/new/swift/sundance/2013_swift_sundance_584pr_n5883.asp?VM=Specifications

This is not the dealer by the way

Hi dutchwoman,

Iwould strongly recommend the Thule towball mounted carrier- a great bit of kit. Iwould also suggest you consider the Euro which IS designed for elec. bikes, but at least you would be sorted if ever you wished to change to elec.

Your choice but we are extremely pleased with the Thule.

good luck

derek

Guest Peter James
derek pringle - 2013-03-22 11:16 AM

Hi dutchwoman,

Iwould strongly recommend the Thule towball mounted carrier- a great bit of kit. Iwould also suggest you consider the Euro which IS designed for elec. bikes, but at least you would be sorted if ever you wished to change to elec.

good luck

derek

How much more weight (and cost?) would be added by the towbar etc, than a lightweight frame bolted straight to the back panel?

Thank you all for your comments. I didn't give a thought to the extra weight of a tow bar - I just want to see out of my back window and am looking for another answer to the frame on the back of the vcan. We have a Fiamma one on our existing van and are pleased with it.

Guest Peter James

A towbar needs to be a lot stronger than a bike rack, so couldn't be fitted without some hefty reinforcement, and its all multiplying the weight on the back axle.

I suspect the rack is the only option that won't overload your van.

At least you will be able to see the scroats nicking your bike ;-)

PS: does anyone know where the reinforced parts of the rear panel is on this model to fit the bolts to support a rack?

We have a 590RS, so a different layout to you. Our bike rack is fitted slightly off centre, so can see out of window, and it does fit into reinforced bits., but as I said a rear kitchen, so different lay out to yours.

PJay

I'd suggest before you do anything else you take it to a weighbridge in fully loaded order (ie with full water, fuel and all your kit and passengers) as it only has a 357kg payload anyway so you might not have the spare capacity to take the bikes never mind a rack for them.

Guest Peter James

Would you miss the window that much?

I guess you could still see something through it.

Many don't have a window in the back at all.

I'd have thought the premium Fiamma adjustable rack could be made to fit,fitting the top bracket to the window re-enforcment and the bottom fixing to the floor.

You really should press the dealer to sort this. :-D

We had/have a similar problem with our Autotrail Scout. We need to carry 3 bikes and the rear panel has limited capacity plus a large window and a ladder. We are getting a tow bar fitted and purchased an Atera bike rack from these guys

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting-exp.php?utm_expid=11419759-2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roofbox.co.uk%2Fbike-carriers%2F

We do have substantially more payload than yourselves though so as suggested above you need to check weights or chass upgrade an option?

I had a detachable rack made to carry a scooter at a local fabricators. (at less than the price of a towbar) It was easily removed if I was not taking the scooter with me, perhaps that's the way to go to save on your payload.

Colin

On our last Autosleeper I altered the fittings on the bike rack to allow the bikes to stand off a bit away from the window enableing it to open further.In your case if the bikes obscure the window how about a couple of folding bikes which will still fit on the bike rack with the seat and handle bars folded down . This would outway the cost of a tow bar and fitted bike rack.

Peter James - 2013-03-22 12:23 PM

derek pringle - 2013-03-22 11:16 AM

Hi dutchwoman,

good luck

derek

How much more weight (and cost?) would be added by the towbar etc, than a lightweight frame bolted straight to the back panel?

Hi Peter,

The straight answer is I am not sure other than to say the reduction in payload from adding any bike carrier or towbar would need to be addressed and only dutchwoman would be in a position to do this as the only person with the details of what they carry and its weight. I was purely answering the question as to what is a good carrier.

cheers and good luck

derek

You do well to consider using a tow bar setup for carrying bikes on the Sundance. We have a 530LP and the shape of the rear panel dictates that the rack is mounted high. I am no shortie and reasonably fit, but to put the bikes on the rack I need to stand on a Fiamma step and can just about manage. A triumph of styling over practicality, they should talk to the punters first.

The view or lack of it is a secondary issue to this as we have a rear view camera. With it switched off I can just see the rooftop of a following car and I sit quite high.

regards,

CV.

Archived