New camper to New Zealand

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2013-03-25 6:39 PM.....Thanks David ;-)................found it last night.......and they reckon what they sold for the camper paid for their holiday as well B-).....

Just got to work on Sue........as she doesn't like flying anymore :-S

Have you considered camping on board? :-D

At a guess, I'd say I've loaded about one million pounds worth of aircraft/parts into containers for shipping to Oz and NZ over the years, and at moment have about a million pounds worth left to load up this year. The main concerns for us are the restrictions on timber parts, but we've not had anything thrown out, yet.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-04-06 12:40 PM

pelmetman - 2013-03-25 6:39 PM.....Thanks David ;-)................found it last night.......and they reckon what they sold for the camper paid for their holiday as well B-).....

That has crossed my mind Brian :D.........as I know some ships will carry passengers ;-)............and its been a while since I met the Bear at the equator.........I've still got my certificate somewhere :-S.............and you all thought I had no qualifications (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-04-06 5:57 PM

That has crossed my mind Brian :D.........as I know some ships will carry passengers ;-)............and its been a while since I met the Bear at the equator.........I've still got my certificate somewhere :-S.............and you all thought I had no qualifications (lol) (lol)

Plus, you'd get a chance to dress up! But what as? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-04-06 6:56 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-06 5:57 PM

Plus, you'd get a chance to dress up! But what as? :-D

As a bear of course *-)..............coz I is no longer a virgin.........although Sue would be :D

alister, thanks for the reply a while ago, I could understand the driver attitude on a normal road but while in Oamaru the traffic was very light but trying to walk across the road was a hazard even when they were moving at 10mph. We were there with a group of Penny Farthing riders riding from C.C to Oamaru.

At one time it was my turn to drive the pickup truck and I was stopped by a plain police car, they gave me a real roasting for not controlling the bike riders and said that they would ban them if not told to keep to the side. Fortunalely they didn't spot that I was not a local.

PS went to see the Mutton Birds at dusk, got bitten by sand flies!!!

MrT

Sorry to hear that Oamaru traffic wasn't all that friendly, Mr T. It's a lovely town with its limestone buildings, but obviously road manners are a little lacking! Oamaru is certainly the place for penny-farthings - they make a big deal of their Victorian/Edwardian past with an annual festival in which they feature. A member of the Oamaru Ordinary Cycle Club recently travelled the entire length of New Zealand by penny farthing. A hardy soul!

Sandflies and the occupants of unmarked police cars can both spoil your day. We don't have any creepy crawlies that can kill you but sandflies can certainly make life very unpleasant! The rest of us natives are reasonably friendly, as I hope you found.

Yes, Colin, anything containing wood products is looked at very closely to ensure it doesn't contain any eggs, bugs etc that could threaten our forestry and agriculture industries. It's for the same reason that motor vehicles have to be cleaned to pristine condition when they come in.

Guest pelmetman
Mrs T - 2013-04-07 11:11 PM

We were there with a group of Penny Farthing riders riding from C.C to Oamaru.

I'd heard that things were a bit behind the times in NZ ;-).............but they're still riding penny farthings? :D

Pelmetman, you’re right in some respects - in terms of overcrowding and traffic congestion, we’re way behind the UK. However, in other things we’re actually quite modern. Some of us even have television and the internet!

Penny-farthings aren’t recommended here in Christchurch. Many of our streets are so damaged by earthquakes and roadworks where quake-damaged infrastructure is being repaired that the term “boneshaker” would take on a whole new meaning for their riders. It’s one of the reasons I choose to ride a modern bike with pneumatic tyres and even suspension, rather than a penny farthing. There are a few other reasons as well.

Hi, I live in NZ and imported a new motorhome from UK to NZ. There are import taxes involved with importing motorhomes to NZ as government in NZ imposes duty at 17.5% on the cost of the vehicle plus freight plus insurance, and then imposes another 15% GST on this new total value.The exchange rate is calculated every 2 weeks and is based on the UK value at time of importing. There is a rate at which the vehicle's value is devalued depending on how long you have owned it overseas. (however, you will have paid tax on it when you purchased it in UK) . Dealerships in NZ are now purchasing directly from the factories in UK, the exchange rate between NZ and UK has never been as good for NZ citizens for many, many years and there are a lot of second hand motorhomes for sale in NZ. The other matter which you may need to consider is that UK motorhomes will most likely need minor modifications to meet certain uses in NZ such as freedom camping. Motorhomes are required to be "self contained" so a few modifications will almost certainly be required if you wish to use many of the free (or cheap) camping sites. I don't want to put you off but look carefully at the regulations imposed by NZ government. I would suggest that you look at a NZ version of ebay which is www.trademe.co.nz which will give you a good idea as to the cost of motorhomes in NZ.

Regards BuddyC

• 3 years later...
Alistair, hope you get this as I am not very computer literate. I asked a question on Forums about shipping a motorhome to NZ & your name was mentioned as a source of information. Even though your post was 31/2 years old, we did find it so informative. We are hoping to ship our own motorhome, a 60 plate Hymer "A" class B544, to NZ about November 2017. Thank you for the info & if there is anything more to add we would be pleased to hear from you

Archived