Timing belt on Fiat Ducato

trevor166uk

Guest 1footinthegrave

Sometimes I envy people who go through life in blissful ignorance, like a pal of mine,Ron,well he would know more about a suspender belt than a camshaft belt. :D Ah a child of the 40's

mikemelson - 2013-04-06 12:51 PM

I've got a Peugeot 2004 Boxer, which I believe are identical to the Sevel Fiats?...

2.0litre and 2.8litre motors fitted to Peugeot Boxers in 2004 were also fitted to 2004 Fiat Ducatos. But a 2.2litre Peugeot motor was used in the Boxer but not in the Ducato, while a 2.3litre Fiat motor was used in the Ducato but not in the Boxer.

One might reasonably expect the timing-belt replacement interval to be the same for the 2.0litre and 2.8litre motors common to the Boxer and Ducato (though I wouldn't be astonished if the Peugeot and Fiat advised intervals differ!), but there's no reason to believe that the interval will be the same for the 2.2litre Peugeot and 2.3litre Fiat motors, as these are quite different mechanically.

GOOGLE-searching produces plenty of discussion regarding the maximum interval at which the timing-belt of the 2.2litre Boxer motor should be replaced, but 10 years seems credible.

Personally, I wouldn't trust 3rd-party advice (eg. the Gates brochure) on such things: I'd want to see the Peugeot service schedule. 10 years seems a long interval to me (and, I suspect, would to most mechanics) but, if that's what's Peugeot advises, so be it.

Knaus - 2013-04-08 4:09 PM

Hi

Friends of ours have a 2.3 Peugeot 2008 and they have a timing chain!!

What other motorhomes have a chain instead of a cambelt.

I think you may find that is a 2.2 litre engine, not 2.3. It is the joint-venture Ford/PSA engine that does, indeed, have a chain driven camshaft. We have one too! :-)

Knaus - 2013-04-08 4:09 PM

Hi

Friends of ours have a 2.3 Peugeot 2008 and they have a timing chain!!

What other motorhomes have a chain instead of a cambelt.

All motorhomes based on a Ford Transit Mk 6 or Mk 7 (that's from roughly year 2000 onwards) will have a motor with a timing-chain, as (to the best of my knowledge) will ALL Mercedes-based motorhomes. The 3.0litre motor used in motorhomes based on the Fiat Ducato/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer, or on an Iveco Daily, has a timing-chain. As Brian says, the 2.2litre 100bhp Ford-derived motor used in Euro 4 Ducatos/Boxers/Relays has a chain, but (again to the best of my knowledge) the more powerful 2.2litre Euro 4 motor fitted to Boxers/Relays was a Peugeot powerplant and has a timing-belt.

You lot had me worried.

I've just booked my 04 Boxer in for it's annual service at a main Peugeot dealer & after listening to all the advice on here, requested a cambelt change.

The service manager was adamant that I don't need one until 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Who am I to argue with the experts?

Guest 1footinthegrave
mikemelson - 2013-04-09 5:25 PM

You lot had me worried.

I've just booked my 04 Boxer in for it's annual service at a main Peugeot dealer & after listening to all the advice on here, requested a cambelt change.

The service manager was adamant that I don't need one until 10 years or 100,000 miles.

You might want to go back and argue with this particular expert if it breaks, somehow I think the best you could hope for then a a shrug of the shoulders, and maybe the comment s**t happens. ;-) All joking apart, I'd want sight of that schedule, do you not have an owners manual ?

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-09 6:23 PM

mikemelson - 2013-04-09 5:25 PM

You lot had me worried.

You might want to go back and argue with this particular expert if it breaks, somehow I think the best you could hope for then a a shrug of the shoulders, and maybe the comment s**t happens. ;-) All joking apart, I'd want sight of that schedule, do you not have an owners manual ?

Just looked looked in the servicing book under CAMBELT & I quote:-

"Your PEUGEOT dealer will advise you of the replacement interval, which is dependent on engine type"

The recommendation for my model is 10 years or 100,000 miles, although Gates (who make most cambelts) say 70,000 miles. I've contacted 3 dealers in Essex & all say the same thing.

I believe this 3 or 5 year thing is scaremongering put out by people with vested interests.

Motorhome owners are generally older types with disposable income & they are being preyed upon with the "piece of mind" factor to relieve them of some of that dosh.

I'm sure Peugeot would not recommend these figures if there was any likelihood of them not lasting significantly longer.

• 2 years later...
I changed mine at 5 years old and 25000 there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the old belt or tensioner but it is a peace of mind thing in the end. Whilst deep in that end of the engine bay I clipped pipes in place that hadn't been clipped, refitted sound deadening material that had come adrift, and correctly fitted the large grommet with lots of cables running through it in the bulkhead. The net result is a much quieter drive an peace of mind.

• 11 months later...

We've just upgraded our MH to a 2005 Ducato and in the service history there is no mentioned of a cam-belt nor water pump change at all.

Phoned around and got a fair few quotes from rediculous to not bad to good! Best quote is for belt and water pump is £420. For just the belt change it is £250 plus vat.

As the vehicle hasn't done more than 32,000 miles they recommended that the water pump is not necessary to replace?

Thoughts?

P.S. I know what my head is saying but I thought I would ask the question anyway! B-)

When I had my 2011 belt changed recently the Fiat authorised independent dealer said they would check the water pump for any play, if there isn't any we won't change it. There wasn't any, so they didn't. Engine currently has 60k on the clock.

Archived