bl++++++dy fridge again

Hi my Dometic fridge is playing up again, I think it is the thermostat, it freezes everything if not turned very low on 240v and keeps going out after a few hours on Gas, the higher the temp the longer it stays on. Can you replace the thermostat and is it a DIY job or one of those gasping at price jobies.

Regards Val 8-) :-( :'(

I've looked at your previous fridge-related forum postings.

Apparently your fridge is a Dometic RM6401L some 11 years old. You were having problems with it last year and there was a longish discussion here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELECTROLUX-FRIDGE/28472/

It seems that replacing the thermoocouple and cleaning parts of the fridge (presumably the burner-assembly) caused the fridge to function properly that time.

I don't know how easy it would be to replace the thermostat on this model of fridge, but you may not be able to do it with the fridge in situ. The last time there was a problem you replaced the thermocouple (possibly unnecessarily), so you might want to ask yourself whether replacing the thermostat based on guesswork would be advisable. There comes a point where paying for professional attention would be the best way forwards.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-29 1:35 PM

Apparently your fridge is a Dometic RM6401L some 11 years old. You were having problems with it last year and there was a longish discussion here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELECTROLUX-FRIDGE/28472/

It seems that replacing the thermoocouple and cleaning parts of the fridge (presumably the burner-assembly) caused the fridge to function properly that time.

I don't know how easy it would be to replace the thermostat on this model of fridge, but you may not be able to do it with the fridge in situ. The last time there was a problem you replaced the thermocouple (possibly unnecessarily), so you might want to ask yourself whether replacing the thermostat based on guesswork would be advisable. There comes a point where paying for professional attention would be the best way forwards.

I think you are probably right Derek, just dont like paying for something we can do ourselves, but I think this may possibly be too hard for us to do. Thanks for you advise

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-29 1:35 PM

There comes a point where paying for professional attention would be the best way forwards.

fairweather camper - 2013-03-29 3:51 PM

I think you are probably right Derek, just dont like paying for something we can do ourselves, but I think this may possibly be too hard for us to do. Thanks for you advise.

Entirely agree with Derek's view on this.

As a very good example when I bought my van the fridge igniter wouldn't work. As I knew it involved the fridge being removed I decided to have it done professionally by a 'mobile' repairer recommended by a friend. And a good job I did as it turned out.

He fitted the new igniter but before replacing the fridge he asked me to come and have a look at something he wanted me to see. The Fridge flue was caked up solid with soot effectively blocking the flue outlet. He cleaned it out but as he said had I been able to fire the fridge up on gas, that could have proved dangerous.

George Collings - 2013-03-29 11:08 PM

If this has been happening in the recent cold weather it may be due to not using vent covers. From memory they are recommended below 10C and necessary when it gets to 4C. It seems the fridge has so little to do it gets confused if overcooled.

Thanks for that, but we have just spent 3 months in Southern Spain, with an average temp of about 15 to 20C so dont think it could be that (lol) :-D

Archived