new to MHs

Antonio

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-06 8:28 PM

I hope you don't mind me giving an opinion, but having a brother who lives in Kendal I'd say the idea of spending three months living in a van at that time of year with all the resultant challenges of frozen water, and frozen you sounds like a miserable existence, and it rains an awful lot there too.Factor in the challenges of potentially being walled up in a small space in the shortest daylight hours in the year, watching the rain come down would for me at least drive me nuts

Given that your also going to be driving through Europe again at that time of year has the potential not to be a barrel of laughs either. Whilst I can understand the attachment you probably have to your pet, this also seems to be dictating your plans, could you for example leave your dog with a trusted friend, then simply fly to the UK, and put some of your 20k budget towards alternative accommodation, such as a "Holiday home" winter let, plenty in Cumbria.

That solution cuts out all the difficulties of vans, and legalities, and getting there and back, freezing your nuts off, clothes washing, and the 101 one things that in reasonable weather do not present such a challenge suddenly take on a whole new perspective in the miserable depths of a British winter, mmmm let the plane take the strain, and a cosy warm one bed winter let, a no brainer for me.

We have just had and still are having one of the coldest winters in 100 years,earlier in the winter torrential rains and floods and particularly bad in your chosen destination this year. I certainly would not have wanted to spend three days in my PVC even though it is a top spec one with all the comforts of home, never mind 3 months, mind you if it was in Cumbria I could have turned up at my brothers and hope that he would take me in, otherwise it would be down the Travel Lodge, and a quick dash home. ;-)

And PLEASE do not take this personally, as you say you'll be visiting relatives, but sometimes we can out wear a welcome, the results can be devastating to family relationships, and is not always so apparent even though it is happening in front of your eyes, this happened to a friend of mine that decided to make extended visits to his daughters home in Majorca, of course I have no idea of your personal relationships, but again if it was me I'd be taking that into consideration.

Very good post.

Respect.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-06 7:28 PM

And PLEASE do not take this personally, as you say you'll be visiting relatives, but sometimes we can out wear a welcome, the results can be devastating to family relationships, and is not always so apparent even though it is happening in front of your eyes, this happened to a friend of mine that decided to make extended visits to his daughters home in Majorca, of course I have no idea of your personal relationships, but again if it was me I'd be taking that into consideration.

I agree you have to accept that some people will not be happy with you spending extended time at their place parked up on their drive, plugged into their electric, dumping your waste, drinking their wine, eating their food :D

Which is why I'll only stay for a few weeks at a time at my mates 1foot & BGD >:-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-06 7:28 PM

I hope you don't mind me giving an opinion, but having a brother who lives in Kendal I'd say the idea of spending three months living in a van at that time of year with all the resultant challenges of frozen water, and frozen you sounds like a miserable existence, and it rains an awful lot there too.Factor in the challenges of potentially being walled up in a small space in the shortest daylight hours in the year, watching the rain come down would for me at least drive me nuts

Given that your also going to be driving through Europe again at that time of year has the potential not to be a barrel of laughs either. Whilst I can understand the attachment you probably have to your pet, this also seems to be dictating your plans, could you for example leave your dog with a trusted friend, then simply fly to the UK, and put some of your 20k budget towards alternative accommodation, such as a "Holiday home" winter let, plenty in Cumbria.

That solution cuts out all the difficulties of vans, and legalities, and getting there and back, freezing your nuts off, clothes washing, and the 101 one things that in reasonable weather do not present such a challenge suddenly take on a whole new perspective in the miserable depths of a British winter, mmmm let the plane take the strain, and a cosy warm one bed winter let, a no brainer for me.

We have just had and still are having one of the coldest winters in 100 years,earlier in the winter torrential rains and floods and particularly bad in your chosen destination this year. I certainly would not have wanted to spend three days in my PVC even though it is a top spec one with all the comforts of home, never mind 3 months, mind you if it was in Cumbria I could have turned up at my brothers and hope that he would take me in, otherwise it would be down the Travel Lodge, and a quick dash home. ;-)

Agreed, all very valid points.

Thanks all.

Giving me a lot of ideas. Please keep them comming.

I have 3 daughters, one in Wensleydale, one in Cockermouth and one in Dalton-in-Furness, so they can share me amongst them a bit :-> They know what an idiot I can be! and I like my own space.

Also,not wanting to upset anyone, but the 3 winter months in the UK fit in with my shooting interests.

I like the idea of a MH that doesn't stand out too much,but don't want to appear to be a gitano ;-) and need a bit of space, but to be honest I spend most of my time walking the dog, sat watching TV or in bed plus I switched the heating off to save money, Cassie doesn't complain!

I'm sure that a lot will understand that even 5 years after the death of Ann i find that all I can do is cope. It will do me no harm to meet people on my travels and from what I have observed you all seem to be a friendly bunch.

Having been divorced twice and both time ending up with nothing I'm used to roughing it a bit and I'm cheap to run. I the small house in Spain goes ahead I can always say "stuff it" and jump on a £30 flight to Malaga

(lol)

Antonio - 2013-04-08 12:39 PM

Thanks all.

Giving me a lot of ideas. Please keep them comming.

I have 3 daughters, one in Wensleydale, one in Cockermouth and one in Dalton-in-Furness, so they can share me amongst them a bit :-> ........... after the death of Ann i find that all I can do is cope. It will do me no harm to meet people on my travels and from what I have observed you all seem to be a friendly bunch.

............................... I can always say "stuff it" and jump on a £30 flight to Malaga

(lol)

Hi Tony?

sounds to me that you have plenty of interests and interesting things to get on with doing; and if we knew you better, as a drinking mate, we'd maybe have a few more good ideas to suggest, ways you could achieve what you are trying to. Good Luck, hope it all slots into place,

regards

alan b

Archived