New on the LPG Motorhome Scene

Thurlestone

We decided to buy a motorhome last summer after caravanning for over 40 years. A very common occurrence and it offered us a few new challenges in adapting our touring style and usage of the unit. Our caravan used the BP lite cylinder system and found it both expensive and difficult to replace when touring. The van used an Alde heating & water system that operated mainly on electric and therefore used little gas. We now have the Truma dual water and heating system that gets up to temperature on gas and then maintains it on electric if on mains power. We realised we were using more gas on this system and decided to review how we sourced it. I first looked at Safe Fill as an alternative to Calor but after getting good advice from Out and about live members, decided this was unacceptable for travelling through Europe as it can be difficult to fill at fuel stations to a direct cylinder. We then priced Gaslow and Auto2000 cylinders and the requirements for fitting the system. After discussing our requirements with Gaslow we found that they did not produce a lightweight cylinder and as I had been using Calor Gaslite did not want to increase weight with steel cylinders. In addition the accompanying filling hoses etc + fitting charge made it quite expensive. I contacted Chris at Autogas 2000 and was pleasantly surprised by a very quick email reply and advice about a number of ways to provide our requirements and the ways they could help. I explained we were visiting the area near Thirsk over the week-end of the Newark Show when he would be at the show. He suggested that Jon would be available to talk to us at their base if we could say when we wanted to visit. We arranged a time to visit and on arrival, Jon was waiting for us and looked at our van, we then discussed all the possible options, what each would give us and the differences in cost. At no point did we feel pressurised to make a purchase but realised that his knowledge and professionalism was really valuable and we were in control of both decisions and options to follow. We decided on an aluminium 11kg cylinder with an external filler point and option to carry a small Calor cylinder to use with a BBQ away from the van. Jon demonstrated and then showed us how to connect the filler hose safely to the filler point. We then filled the cylinder and he tested all the connection points and again checked we knew how to safely fill the tank and the alternative ways this can be done with differing pumps across Europe. He showed us the recommended filler adaptation accessories necessary for different parts of the continent but suggested to try the system and only buy the accessories when we knew where we would travel and which ones we would need. When he was satisfied we knew everything to safely manage all aspects of the system, he suggested after using it, if we had any questions to talk or email him or Chris anytime. We left feeling very satisfied and glad we had found people who not only knew their business well but really cared about their customers. We do not have any connection with the company other than being very satisfied customers.

We also had our refillable fitted at Autogas Carlton M Thirsk this is the second van we have taken there, I agree they are very friendly/informative and will go that extra mile to make sure you get what you have room for and make any alterations that are needed. :-D

You will be very glad you have the refillable, it does cost to get it installed but once there MUCH cheaper than the gas bottles, the refill we had on the Rhine last year only cost us 8 euro and we had used it for about 8 weeks. Also not having to carry heavy bottles to exchange makes life so much easier.

Archived