Help - Air Filter removal , 2004/5 Ducato 2.8JTD

laimeduck

Help .......Can anyone give some advice please!

I have wasted a couple of hours trying to change the air filter on my 2.8 JTD Ducato 2004/5.

I finally managed to get the top of the filter off after spending an hour on the two phillips screws at the rear, then I find I cannot get the filter out - it hits the top panel of the engine bay. It seems to fit over a sleeve & to get it out it has to slide up the sleeve but then hits the bonnet surround.

Is there a way of detaching the filter mounting to allow it to lean forwards? If there is I can't see it (probably because of the red mist!)

I can't believe that what should be a regular service item is SSoooooo.... difficult to change >:-( >:-(

I've managed to put it all back together so it's not life or death, but boy, am I cross!

Dave Newell - 2013-03-31 1:24 PM

Pull the filter housing forwards at the top, it will move quite a bit before the rubber mountings break.

D.

Dave thanks - genuinely - but no thanks. I've pulled it to what I think is the limit and its still got a long way to go. If it breaks I'm buggered! I think I'm better off leaving it unchanged - it doesn't look that bad & hasn't done excessive miles. There must be an easier way?

Guest 1footinthegrave
laimeduck - 2013-03-31 4:22 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-03-31 1:24 PM

Pull the filter housing forwards at the top, it will move quite a bit before the rubber mountings break.

D.

Dave thanks - genuinely - but no thanks. I've pulled it to what I think is the limit and its still got a long way to go. If it breaks I'm buggered! I think I'm better off leaving it unchanged - it doesn't look that bad & hasn't done excessive miles. There must be an easier way?

It gets better, you'd be wise to change your fuel filter at some point, some recommend annually, and guess where it is, yep, behind the air filter assembly. :-S

Dave's right, he would be of course working on them all the time, the plastic filter housing is retained by three or four rubber cotton reel type mounts that are hidden below the filter itself, the retaining nuts being inside. These will almost certainly give up the ghost when you either pull on them as Dave said, or do actually get to them and attempt to undo them to remove the whole assembly to get at the fuel filter, so you'd need to arm yourself with some new ones from Fiat first.......................mmmm

Or better still if your in the Midlands take a drive to Dave's place and let him sort it for you. ;-)

Yet another great bit of design, and i'm supposed to be thick. :D

Archived