New clutch

Our MH is on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 TD (2002). It's done 48,000 miles. I may be imagining it but the clutch travel before engagement seems to be worsening.

Has anyone had a clutch replacement done recently on a similar engine ? If yes can you tell me roughly how much it cost ? Is 48,000 miles about right when most of the mileage has been in high gear at speed ?

John

I have a feeling that the clutch on your motorhome may be cable-operated with a self-adjusting mechanism. If that's the case, then a change in clutch-pedal travel before engagement may not indicate a problem with the clutch itself. If the clutch isn't actually slipping under load, then it may be OK.

It's difficult to generalise about how long a clutch should last. In principle, if you've covered most of your 48k mileage without changing gear much and without much stop/start driving in town, 48k might be considered below average. Sometimes, for no obvious reason, clutches die early - sometimes they seem to be immortal.

Guest pelmetman
Our transit camper 70k miles original clutch ;-)..........My delivery transit 140k miles......3 clutch's.......3 gearboxes *-)

JohnSue - 2013-04-05 6:04 PM

Our MH is on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 TD (2002). It's done 48,000 miles. I may be imagining it but the clutch travel before engagement seems to be worsening.

John

Hi John;

welcome;

first question, do you have a local friendly garage that you use regularly?

If so, no prob, ( I have one and swear by them).

As far as your query; could it be a stretched cable (assuming it is cable operated) that has stretched beyond auto-adjust?

alan b

pelmetman - 2013-04-05 7:01 PM

Our transit camper 70k miles original clutch ;-)..........My delivery transit 140k miles......3 clutch's.......3 gearboxes *-)

Someone will report you to the Transit Abuse Police (TAPs) ... 3 clutches, 3 gearboxes and a few windscreens too .... :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2013-04-05 8:28 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-05 7:01 PM

Someone will report you to the Transit Abuse Police (TAPs) ... 3 clutches, 3 gearboxes and a few windscreens too .... :D

Some people have had more campers ;-)....................than I've had clutch's :D

JohnSue - 2013-04-05 6:04 PM

Has anyone had a clutch replacement done recently on a similar engine ? If yes can you tell me roughly how much it cost ? Is 48,000 miles about right when most of the mileage has been in high gear at speed ?

John

I would be interested to know what the final outcome of this thread as I have a 2 ltr Ducato with 44000 miles on the clock and when I climbed over Col del Columbine in the French Alps last year the clutch travel seemed to be getting greater but it went back to normal when we got over the top so I was toying with having it replaced , just in case, but I decided to leave it. You have just restoked my concerns.

If the clutch isn't slipping then there's nothing to worry about. In 36 years in the motor industry I've NEVER, EVER seen a stretched clutch cable! It just doesn't happen! The forces applied to a clutch cable are nowhere near its limits so forget about stretched cables. The clutches on Ducatos all generally bite quite high on the pedal travel but as I said at the start if it ain't slipping it ain't a problem.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-04-05 10:56 PM

If the clutch isn't slipping then there's nothing to worry about. In 36 years in the motor industry I've NEVER, EVER seen a stretched clutch cable! It just doesn't happen! The forces applied to a clutch cable are nowhere near its limits so forget about stretched cables. The clutches on Ducatos all generally bite quite high on the pedal travel but as I said at the start if it ain't slipping it ain't a problem.

D.

That's good to know Dave; I'd just repeat my other advice; FIND A LOCAL GARAGE YOU TRUST.

It's not easy; and we often think we can manage without: BUT it's easy to spend a fortune having stuff done because you don't have someone to ask,

cheers

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
" honest John" the telegraphs motoring expert has a list of approved garages with reviews on his web site......

Dave Newell - 2013-04-05 10:56 PM

D.

We've never had a stretched cable but we HAVE had one that had deteriorated so the inner cable wasn't moving freely within the casing, hence my comments above.

Hello folks;

Just a word of warning for you all....

If you do ever need a clutch cable for a Peugeot engined vehicle NEVER attempt to save a few pounds by using an after-market cable. You absolutely MUST get one from Peugeot or Citroen.

We have had so many problems with non genuine items that we would not even think about it again.

I have no doubt that similar problems occur with other makes too, but Peugeot wins this contest hands-down!

Nick

Archived