Torque wrench

insignia

Dave Newell - 2013-04-10 7:23 AM

Bulletguy - 2013-04-09 11:40 PM

I've never used a torque wrench on wheel nuts on all vehicles i've owned over the years. Personally it's a tad OTT to be honest and bordering on the obsessive. The only important nut anywhere around a wheel is the drive shaft capstan nut which must be tightened to the set torque figure. Use of a torque wrench is most commonly used in engine and gearbox rebuilding....in fact for that it's essential.

Its not OTT at all, especially when I'm working on other people's motorhomes. I need to be sure that all wheel fixings are tightened correctly and that my torque wrench/adapter is in calibration.

D.

The OP was asking for views ........not if it's a compulsory requirement which you believe it is.

I don't.

That's my opinion and after 40+ years of mechanics building many high performance engines, boxes and cars subject to way more stresses than any MH yet never had a wheel fall off......I think i'll stick with it thank you.

Bulletguy - 2013-04-12 1:44 AM

I've never used a torque wrench on wheel nuts on all vehicles i've owned over the years. Personally it's a tad OTT to be honest and bordering on the obsessive. The only important nut anywhere around a wheel is the drive shaft capstan nut which must be tightened to the set torque figure. Use of a torque wrench is most commonly used in engine and gearbox rebuilding....in fact for that it's essential.

Its not OTT at all, especially when I'm working on other people's motorhomes. I need to be sure that all wheel fixings are tightened correctly and that my torque wrench/adapter is in calibration.

D.

The OP was asking for views ........not if it's a compulsory requirement which you believe it is.

I don't.

That's my opinion and after 40+ years of mechanics building many high performance engines, boxes and cars subject to way more stresses than any MH yet never had a wheel fall off......I think i'll stick with it thank you.

Get off your high horse will you, its hurting my neck talking up to you! I never said it was compulsory, what I said is that IN MY OPINION it is important, especially from my perspective working on other people's motorhomes. The fact you've never had a wheel come off is neither here nor there, other people have and that is a simple fact, it does happen. Having the wheel fixings tightened to the apropriate torque can certainly help to reduce the likelihood of a wheel separating from the vehicle.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-04-12 7:49 AM

dipsticks - 2013-04-11 10:03 PM

Sorry, just an aside, can anyone tell me the wheel nut torque for a Mk7 Transit 140 T350M RWD please.

I can't find it on the BEMM.

Thank you.

According to Autodata 200NM

D.

Thank you very much Dave

dipsticks - 2013-04-12 2:22 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-04-12 7:49 AM

dipsticks - 2013-04-11 10:03 PM

Sorry, just an aside, can anyone tell me the wheel nut torque for a Mk7 Transit 140 T350M RWD please.

I can't find it on the BEMM.

Thank you.

According to Autodata 200NM

D.

You're very welcome.

D.

Thank you very much Dave

Take this scenario then.

Motorhome has a wheel come off and then careers into another vehicle killing several people.

The vehicle will be professionally scrutinised of course, and in particular the wheel and fixings.

All serious accidents end up in some sort of court or enquiry, with the aim to determine and apportion blame. The person who last tightened the nuts will be there, and if recommended procedures (i.e. correct use of torque wrench) have been followed, will probably not be found culpable.

So, there you are stood in the dock. pleading "I just guessed it your Honour; I've worked on lots of wheels and never had one fall off before".

Will that absolve you from all responsibility? Er, No.

I'm not questioning the skill of anyone, just suggesting that following recommended procedures in a safety critical area can be a very good safety net when the brown stuff hits the fan

Dave Newell - 2013-04-12 7:01 AM

Bulletguy - 2013-04-12 1:44 AM

D.

I don't.

Get off your high horse will you, its hurting my neck talking up to you! I never said it was compulsory, what I said is that IN MY OPINION it is important, especially from my perspective working on other people's motorhomes. The fact you've never had a wheel come off is neither here nor there, other people have and that is a simple fact, it does happen. Having the wheel fixings tightened to the apropriate torque can certainly help to reduce the likelihood of a wheel separating from the vehicle.

D.

Agree 100% Dave,

Having experienced the loss of the N/S/R wheel off a Bedford CF Luton bodied van, due to cracked wheelstuds caused by an over zealous tyre fitter with his Air Gun, it's not an experience I want to repeat or wish on anyone else.

Fortunately, although thrown across the road at 90 deg., in front of an oncoming HGV, no other damage, but Police patrol took best part of an hour locating the detached wheel & examing the cause. It was clear the 4 of the 5 wheelstuds had been cracked for some period & we were an accident waiting to happen.

Archived