first time abroad advice

jordano

ok we are taking our first trip to europe in a couple of weeks, both retired now so no rush back early july. we are heading through france and spain to portugal, i think we have covered everything we will need, but thought i would ask what foodstufs to take ie english tea ,ect is it cheaper to buy certain foods here or abroad, or is there anything i can,t get when we are away. very excited ,booked the ferry to calais from dover this morning.

jordano - 2013-04-09 5:14 PM

.......... what foodstufs to take ie english tea ,ect is it cheaper to buy certain foods here or abroad, or is there anything i can,t get when we are away. very excited ,booked the ferry to calais from dover this morning.

Hi John;

not much you'll miss or pay OTT for; maybe Marmite, your favourite tea/teas, fruit squash (if you do), maybe fruit cereal (Bran Flakes)? But it's part of the fun isn't it?

Enjoy

alan b

Generally, the cost of food is comparable to UK. Meat is likely to be more expensive, fruit and veg generally cheaper, so it kind of balances out. Beer and wine are also generally cheaper.

I agree with Alan that tea, particularly if you have a favourite brand, would be worth taking, and also cereals if you have particular favourites - for example the unsweetened types of muesli. Most of the breakfast cereals commonly available tend to be heavily sweetened, or covered in chocolate. Supermarkets abound, so shopping is easy even where the language is completely impenetrable.

You may find the cashiers at Spanish supermarkets panic a bit if you wave a UK credit card at them. Some will want a passport, or photocard driving licence, before accepting your card, some will call for a supervisor, some will direct you to the help/enquiries desk to take the payment.

France is a doddle with cards, and from memory, so is Portugal. Buy your fuel at French supermarkets, but watch the canopy heights and the exit lane widths. They are cheap, but they try to keep trucks out for that reason, so many make the canopy too low, or the exit too difficult, for larger vehicles. However, there is almost always at least one lane that has reasonable egress, you just have to choose which to go for, and be a bit patient.

Whatever, you definitely won't starve! :-)

Guest pelmetman

Mince beef is very expensive, pork tends to be the cheapest meat followed by chicken ;-) .......

For our 2 month trip to Spain earlier this year I have a MDF former, made to the size of our small freezer compartment, and packed in 8 individually wrapped 1/2 pound portions that I froze in the house freezer :D........worked a treat and lasted until our last week, and even acted as a giant ice block when our fridge stopped working on gas ;-)

Picture is from our September trip to the Dordoigne when we took some chicken thighs as well :D

P1000366web.jpg.fd3b893e18cb6ae8e1d0e25edcc80039.jpg

Cheddar cheese ... if you like it take it as although it is getting more available there it is EXPENSIVE. Tea bags of course as they too can be expensive and not very nice either. Bacon - this can be found there but again can be expensive and not like the bacon we're used to here.

Oh, kitchen roll - you don't need to take it with you but if you have a proper wall holder for it (like the below pic) make sure you keep the middle cardboard out of your UK one as the foreign ones are shorter so it will drop off! *-)

thanks for all your comments seem to have everything covered now we are stopping at a saite on the way down called camping-le-fragnee in verruyes. wondere if anyone has been there. also looking to stay a while on the algarve portugal and would welcome any recomendations.

If you really need English food you can get most of it here may be a bit more expensive but saves carrying loads of food half way across Europe. Why not try the local foods you may surprise yourself and actually like it. Mercadona in Spain have lots Spanish brands similar to the UK foods and drinks

http://overseas.es/stores/17

Brian

Edit Lidl are everywhere in France and Spain load them onto your GPS if you have one that's what we do for France.good food and inexpensive

I have the opposite problem now. I spent so much time in France I worry about not getting French food back in the UK. Its a 40 mile round trip to the nearest deli that sells decent French Cheese! Taking Cheddar to France!!! You should be ashamed of yourselves! (lol)

My list is simple;

Lots of tea bags

HP Sauce

Branston Beans

These are the only things difficult (and expensive) to get abroad, as another poster said try the local supermarkets brands and you might be suprised how good they are!

For meat i have found Lidl's to be very good :)

John, Don't worry too much about the food stuffs, tea yes, and just take the dried stuff you use at home salt, pepper, instant coffee. Part of the joy is eating local produce, for us, veal, horse, cheese, some strange fish, and fresh veg. all available in local markets. Just enjoy after all it's part of your trip, and new experiences will make it very memorable.

Have fun.

Barryd999 - 2013-04-13 12:00 PM

I have the opposite problem now. I spent so much time in France I worry about not getting French food back in the UK. Its a 40 mile round trip to the nearest deli that sells decent French Cheese! Taking Cheddar to France!!! You should be ashamed of yourselves! (lol)

I know how you feel Barrie, as our son lives in the north york dales. When we come up to dog sit, we have to do a 50 mile round trip to the nearest Tesco (Catterick) to stock up for our visit, as we are so used to be able to pop in to our nearest Tesco every day, if need be, and we have a small village parade of shops, which covers everything

It's a different way of life up in Yorkshire (and usually cold and wet)

PJay

PJay - 2013-04-14 12:04 AM

I know how you feel Barrie, as our son lives in the north york dales. When we come up to dog sit, we have to do a 50 mile round trip to the nearest Tesco (Catterick) to stock up for our visit, as we are so used to be able to pop in to our nearest Tesco every day, if need be, and we have a small village parade of shops, which covers everything

It's a different way of life up in Yorkshire (and usually cold and wet)

PJay

Its like being in the 1950's up here. It might be "An area of outstanding natural beauty" but you try finding a nice bit of Morbier or Brie de Meux! Or an Electrician or a Plumber even.

I live in lower Teesdale on the Durham / Yorks border and its quite civilised down here but up in Upper Teesdale some places still don't have mains electricity! (no Im not joking). Cow green Reservoir just 20 miles up the road has the same climate as Reykjavík. The snow up there has been 15 feet deep and the locals reckon it will take until June to shift it!

Sorry off topic!

colin - 2013-04-14 11:22 AM

For us the only thing to take in quantity is tea bags, everything else eat local.

Completely agree, always prefer to eat local produce when abroad not even too bad if you run out of tea bags although I don't recommend Carrefour's own brand.

We take cheddar out to France every year. My wifes niece is married to a French chef and he reckons good quality cheddar is the worlds best cheese, I reckon he is correct, well maybe stilton is as good.

Muswell - 2013-04-14 1:11 PM

colin - 2013-04-14 11:22 AM

For us the only thing to take in quantity is tea bags, everything else eat local.

Plus the muesli we buy in bulk and tastes better than anything we have found in packets.

Much easier to do it the French way fresh crusty bread & jam or fresh croissants with freshly brewed coffee. :D

Likewise Tea Bags, Cereals, Branston. Piccalli, and CHEDDAR. I also like to take some small packets of ready made custard. Don.t personally eat Baked Beans, but take some for the ex-pats, as they all seem to miss them.

You can get most things English now in the Super Markets, but at a price.

PJay

PS i also take a bread maker, as don;t much like the Spainish bread, and handy to make pizza dough, as well

rupert123 - 2013-04-14 3:52 PM

We take cheddar out to France every year. My wifes niece is married to a French chef and he reckons good quality cheddar is the worlds best cheese, I reckon he is correct, well maybe stilton is as good.

Where does he work? McDonalds!! (lol)

Barryd999 - 2013-04-15 9:57 PM

rupert123 - 2013-04-14 3:52 PM

Where does he work? McDonalds!! (lol)

Must Do

Ah! Europe is such a beautiful country I have ever seen. I think you may find all kind of foods there at affordable prices. If you are planning to go there with children's then you should carry some essential food items with you (especially those which are favorite of your kids).

Furthermore you can hire a caravan there for traveling. It is very useful. Since last time we were there (me and my family) we have also hired a caravan and I must say this idea integrates our fun.

Archived