Insurance cover for motorhome storage

BernardW

I am planning to drive my motorhome to Portugal in the autumn and want to leave it there over the winter period. Unfortunately due to commitments I cannot remain there the whole time and so need to fly back to the UK occasionally. I am having real difficulty in finding anyone who will insure my motorhome when I leave it in secure storage in Portugal. My current insurer doesn't cover this. Can anyone suggest an insurance company who can provide the necessary cover? I'm sure that I can't be the only person with this problem!

Hi Bernard-I asked exactly the same question on this forum months ago but no-one replied.I have met folks in Spain earlier this year who have recommended Camping and Caravanning Club and Safeguard but I have not asked either company yet.I think a lot of people just take the chance,maybe gettiing to know "neighbours" on site to keep an eye on the van for you.

Although a motorhome owner I did look at exactly you situation for my motorhome and also for a caravan which I would leave on site/storeage and downsize to a VW pop-top for travelling and UK use.

Results were:-

1. I could nof find a UK insurer to cover my/your requirements for either motorhome or caravan.

2. Some sites would insure a caravan whilst in storeage @ £125 approx per year, but not a motorhome.

3. Take out additional insurance from a spanish/portuguese insurer. Then UK insurance covers you while you are with the motorhome/travelling in UK and europe and for breakdown recovery. Then the Spanish insurance while you store the van in Spain. Try asking your storeage providor if they can help.

4. Just UK insurance and take a chance whilst you are in UK.

It is all a bit complicated but it is all about mitigating risk and also what you are prepared to risk. If the storage is that secure the maybee the only risk is fire or theft from as opposed to theft of the complete vehicle.

Hope these comments give you food for thought and if it does not solve your problem the at lease point you to a satisfactory final solution.

Many thanks for your thoughts. I will pursue option 3 as there appears to be no real alternative otther than taking the risk. There must be so many people in the same position - I'm surprised that no one has spotted and filled the gap in the market .

BernardW - 2013-04-19 8:57 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts. I will pursue option 3 as there appears to be no real alternative otther than taking the risk. There must be so many people in the same position - I'm surprised that no one has spotted and filled the gap in the market .

As insurance can be very high any way. I doubt that many would want to pay a high premium, when the risk is great. How about seeing if any expats live in Portugal and could maybe help, either by looking after it, or even storing it for you??

Archived